Limestone Flour

• 9 Replies

Flowerpower136

Limestone Flour
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:10 »
Still having problems with soft shells, despite using fine oyster shell, exbatt pellets, codliver oil and the occasional calcium tablet.

This time it's poor Paxo.  She refused her corn yesterday.  Normally she knocks the dish out of my hand, so a clear sign that something was wrong, though could see nothing obvious.  She spent the night resting in the utility room, and this morning had laid a soft shell, so hopefully will perk up today.  She looks better already, and back outside with the rest.

So, limestone flour.  Never used it before, but just ordered some.  What do I do with it?  How much? and how often?  And is it OK to use for all of them?  They are all ex-batts, and at least 3 out of the 8 are having problems consistently forming proper shells.

Can anyone advise please? :unsure:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Re: Limestone Flour
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:31 »
I add a little limestone flour to their feed two or three times a week, usually with some cod-liver oil. I also add ground up egg shell. They all get it, POL birds and ex-batts all!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:51 »
Hia hun, i have one who lays wrinklies, with a very thin shell. As all the others are fab, i just wet a grape (i suck it  :ohmy:) and roll it in the powder. I do this 3/4 times a week and after about 3 weeks you can seea difference in shell quality. I have just stopped doing it tho as she has finally grown some feathers, so im thinking maybe now she dosent have to grow feathers and lay eggs, she maybe ok!....it worked for bramble, fingers crossed it works for you ;) x

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:04 »
we did ours as beulah did, add a little cod liver oil, which helps them digest it, and sprinkle a bit on their food.
they have now got used to eating the grit and oyster shell that is down in the run, so i dont use it too often now they do it themselves.
if there is a pigeon supplier nearby, they do a liquid calcium, calciplus, that is added to the water for them all if it remains a problem.

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:36 »
If my girls' shells start getting a little thin, I add about a tablespoon of limestone flour to a half a bucket of feed for a few days.
Do they eat greens? Spring greens aren't too tough and are a good source of calcium, try hanging them in the run  :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 14:38 by Rubellite »

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 13:00 »
Thanks for all of that.  I think I know what to do when it turns up.

I realise I've got to tackle this head on.  For Paxo to refuse corn  :ohmy:  That really has brought it home to me that this is a serious problem.

They probably don't get as many greens as they should.  I have tired hanging up broccoli, and they ignored it.  Also they don't like lettuce.  Might try some cooked french beans . . . they might think they are green worms?!

Taking after their Mum, and wanting cake and choc instead of veg :lol:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 13:54 »
my girls love chopped up spring greens, they also love parsley and i know you wont have any of these because you have a beautiful garden, but they love dandelion leaves...good source of calcium :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 15:43 »
If they don't like greens, try peas ... mine won't touch greens cooked or raw, but will go through hoops to get at some peas!  :D ::)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 15:13 »
I do have some persistent dandelion clumps, so they will be put to good use once they get going again.

The girls do like peas, nice green frozen ones, but not so keen on tinned? ::)  Fussy little madams really.

Can't wait for the garden to get going again, then they can have their pick of the weeds and prunings.

taximan

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 16:02 »
hang a cabbage in the garden thry love it

xx
limestone flour

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 13:04
by nicky d
xx
Using Limestone flour

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 22:06
by joyfull
xx
Limestone flour

Started by Livinhope on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 10:47
by Livinhope
xx
Lime Stone Flour/Powder

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 18:50
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 27 queries.