feather edge ??? or tongue and grove ????

• 19 Replies

alotment lad

feather edge ??? or tongue and grove ????
« on: January 16, 2010, 17:19 »
hi  im makeing a extra coop in the week comeing . as i have a very special delivery trio on its way . im not shaw weather to make the coop out of feather edge or out of tongue and grove wood  .. ???

points  i see ......
tongue and gove is stronger and makes  every think tight togther and its easyer to see if the dam mites come and a lot easyer to treat as well...

feather edge or simlar 
cheaper and lets more air in to the coop.  also looks nice and easyer to use and gives good
rustik look ...

i would be intrested to know what you people have ,
and your pros and cons  . and as why you choise that ..

p.s  a iglue   is out of question there to small and so expencive and in summer   get way way to hot inside for the birds,   

thanks for spending the time to read this :)

Foxy

Re: feather edge ??? or tongue and grove ????
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 17:24 »
Mine are tongue and groove, neater,stronger and smooth on the inside.
What's your special delivery then? :D :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 17:30 »
Hi, we have used 12mm and 19mm T/G for our coops and they look lovely. Also we sourced a wood yard for the last coop, and it was much cheaper than your avaerage D.I.Y store. The only thing was it came in 14' lengths so we had to take a saw and cut it up there so we could bring it home. wasnt a problem though cos we saved loads doing that way :D

Also, although i havent got an igloo/cube, lots of people on here have and they love them. Im sure the birds dont get too hot in the summer. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 17:37 by dizzylizzie »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 17:31 »
come on alotment lad we are waiting - what is your special delivery?
p.s. eglus normally don't get too hot in summer as the twin wall keeps the temperature right - unless your girls are exceptionally feathery  ;)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 17:32 »
Well Ollie, my eglu is very cool in the summer and warm in the winter because they are double skinned.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 17:35 »
Aren't there two "l"'s in "allotment"?

Would you like it correcting, Ollie?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 17:40 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

alotment lad

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 18:33 »
Aren't there two "l"'s in "allotment"?

Would you like it correcting, Ollie?

yes if you could please    would be great my spelling is terroble ,
i am getting some  crele penedesencas  .  they are very rare in uk not that many about

lets put it this way  theres loads more choc orpingtons than there is  penedesencas  . i had a trio over a year ago and swaped them wish i hadnt but thats the past.

alotment lad

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 18:43 »
Well Ollie, my eglu is very cool in the summer and warm in the winter because they are double skinned.

i was reading one of the posts about wood or iglue  and have seen you said nthey where double skined   i would like on as would probley everyone but to be honest i find that they are way to expencive . and with 3 kids as well what 200 hundread pound or what ever they are is way to much to spend . plus im not shaw if i like the look of them as they stick out like a sore thumb ,  im more of the old fasioned type  my self,    and i do like to give my girls a very large run . and i think by the looks of pictures the runs are small on the iglue i know they MEET ALL THE RULES AND REGS AND OVER . but i still feel if you where to have 3 birds in  there they would be to close to each other . thats just my opinion , also i like leveing my egg layers to just free range as and where in  the day time.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 19:15 »
Are the hens on your allotment?  Do you have an allotment shed for them?  Pictures are the law on this forum, don't forget Ollie.
Cheese makes everything better.

grumpydad

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 19:21 »
i made mine out of 12mm ply, then clad it in shiplap, looks right from the outside, with very few hiding places inside for red mite.

alotment lad

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 19:22 »
Are the hens on your allotment?  Do you have an allotment shed for them?  Pictures are the law on this forum, don't forget Ollie.

yes i have a few on the lottie and some at home as kids love them and have names for them  lol.
i can put hundreds of pictures on from first ever chicken coop and 3 hens i had up to lately  and the lovely summer we had .   if  i had any clue of how to do it on here lol.  

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 19:23 »

alotment lad

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 19:40 »
wow thats dam easy just had a read and think i got the idea of it and as far as i can see i dont need photo bucket :)      right well im just putting kids to bed then will be back on please dont be to nasty about my pics lol.     
oh just so you all know bit more about me i have pekins . in every colur nearly.
some ex batts .
also few other odd cross breeds and a few gesse  alysbery ducks indian runners  and a few other pure breeds we you will see oh and the pink coop is now painted as the misses and kids no longer go down alotment so i quetly painted it lol.    as could not stand the pink lol.  and i think the chickens wasnt to chuffed with it lol.   back in 10 mins and will post pics :)

alotment lad

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 20:10 »
i am trying but every time it says file to big looks like im going to have to resize.  back soon lol

alotment lad

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 20:15 »
some one go on the resize lik as it says warning error and does nothink as soon as you click on the link .      help any one ?????? i have loads of pics to put on and you asked for some lol.  but cant put 1  on ????? any help

xx
Wrotten tongue in chicken :(

Started by Jodias on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 07:13
by wolverine
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Mickey2stroke on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 23:57
by Big Jen
xx
Serious Feather Pecker

Started by Hen Alone on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 12, 2015, 09:34
by New shoot
xx
feather pecking

Started by buforp on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 17:45
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 30 queries.