Serious Feather Pecker

• 9 Replies

Hen Alone

Serious Feather Pecker
« on: July 02, 2015, 18:11 »
Hi all,
I have 5 chickens in my flock, one of which seems to be turning cannibal in that she is eating 2 of the other birds, feather by feather from the tail up.
I have tried gentian violet and all the usual recommended sprays but this doesn’t seem to stop her.
Both target birds are really starting to look quite bare now and I am worried as to their future.
The ‘cannibal’ although flock leader, is not a bully and doesn’t trouble my 2 other hens at all.
Separating her from the other 4 is not feasible with the  space and set up I have, and neither is gaining a cockerel to sort her out, so any suggestions as to what to try next would be really appreciated.
I’d be happy to re-home her if anyone would have her  :(
Thank you
It will be alright in the end.  If its not alright, then it isn't the end !

RubyR3d

Re: Serious Feather Pecker
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 22:44 »
 I had one that targeted just one out of my 8 other hens. I bought a nose ring and left it on. I was so cross with her that it only took me less than a minute to put it on. It just stops the beak from closing enough so it can't get a grip. It werks fer me! Lol

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 07:54 »
I'd agree with RubyR3d about trying a beak ring.  They are easy enough to buy on line and work well  :)

Just keep an eye on the others, as sometimes another hen will take the opportunity to start feather pecking themselves.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:44 »
Beak ring seems best for you. Hens will re-feather when they moult at their usual time. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:34 »
I used to give mine a whole cabbage to peck at. Keep them occupied so they don't eat each other. 

grinling

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 13:31 »
Feather pecking can also be due to lack of protein (too many treats), boredom(do they free range), stress (heat), check all the birds for lice (yellow 3mm run quickly).
If boredom add hanging greens.

RubyR3d

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 15:28 »
Feather pecking can also be due to lack of protein (too many treats), boredom(do they free range), stress (heat), check all the birds for lice (yellow 3mm run quickly).
If boredom add hanging greens.
.  It was never due to boredom in my run. They have cabbage hung every day along with whole sweetcorn. They have sand box to fluff about in, a tree to climb and a 2 tier wooden box with a shelf to jump about on. Oh and 7 other hens to chat to. It isn't just boredom, most of the times they do it because they are little bullying b.....s who can.  ;)

grinling

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 17:51 »
I was stating different reasons for feather pecking and eating as the person requested. the person has not given size of run area or whether items are hung.
I cannot say a beak clip will cure it. Like wise I cannot say the hens is a bully.  I am also not criticising a set up as hen keeping is a learning experience.

RubyR3d

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 09:13 »
  I wasn't having a go at anyone and surprised you read it that way. Our victim still has a bare backside due to severe pecking. A ring by its very design stops the beak from closing so can't remove feathers. I was just stating by experience. No reason for your touchy response. ???

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 09:34 »
Experience is a great resource for anyone asking questions on here and as with the veg growing questions, you get all sorts of answers and one at least will work for you.  Likewise, having a full set of possible reasons for what is happening can be really useful.

You can't know the exact situation someone else is in and they will come back with more information if they feel their original question wasn't specific enough,  or just adapt the advice given to what suits them. 

Hen Alone has lots of useful replies on this thread, so hopefully we have collectively helped with the feather pecking problem.  If not I'm sure we'll hear back from the OP if they need more info  :)

xx
Feather Pecker

Started by dakota on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 19:59
by muntjac
xx
feather pecking

Started by buforp on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 17:45
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
feather pecking

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:44
by carsmarco252
xx
feather pecking

Started by freda on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 20:52
by freda

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 38 queries.