feather eating

• 1 Replies

jo40

• Experienced Member
feather eating
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:57 »
Hello again :wacko:

I have noticed the last couple of days that Wilma is eating feathers, She is a splash maran, not sure of her age I think around 2 years old. :unsure:
I have been looking at threads and am guessing she might be heading towards a moult. Her diet is a mix of layers and growers as I am trying to keep all ages satisfied and corn in the evening. The food is supplemented with poultry spice and water with lifeguard. She also has constant supply of oyster shell and grit.
She is eating feathers off the ground mainly but I have caught her plucking the orpingtons :ohmy:
I have seen cat food suggested, I'm not sure if its calcium or protein I should be supplementing. :unsure:

Thanks Jo   

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: feather eating
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:01 »
Hello! i think feathers are a source of protein! mine pick up the small feathers off the ground and eat them! would nip any feather plucking in the bud though as i have had 2 and once they realise there is a ready supply of yummy feathers its a very hard habit to break! you can give them a fish variety cat food, mine fight over it and the cat looks very put out that they gat some of her dinner
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
feather eating

Started by Alby on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 19:28
by funky chicken
xx
Feather eating

Started by mintymoos on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 18:45
by grumpydad
xx
Feather eating

Started by westie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 13:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
feather eating

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 13:32
by Miller

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 28 queries.