duck care in the cold - any advice?

• 8 Replies

pegs

duck care in the cold - any advice?
« on: January 07, 2010, 16:23 »
Hi all.

Am having some trouble with this icy weather up here in Scotland. It's been going on for over a week now and the ice on our small duck pond has got too thick for me to break. Just heard on teh forecast that it is due to last for at least another 7 days and am getting worried.

We have three khaki campbells. For some reason they are ignoring their usual water bucket and only seem to like water from the pond. I am worried they are not able to clean their feathers and get their heads under water like they normally want to and the girls in particular are beginning to look quite scrappy. :(

Any ideas on how to get them fresh water they will drink? I thought of a paddling pool but our plastic bucket has perished in the cold so don't imagine that would last. They are not eating much either and cannot forage as they usually would as the ground is covered in snow and frozen.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? Any advice would be much appreciated....

RichardA

Re: duck care in the cold - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 17:08 »
before we had a pond we had plastic barrels cut in half which now we de ice with a watering can or three from the house each morning. Each night as we put them in the duck run we put in a bucket of water with a brick in the bottom so they cannot tip it over. It has never frozen over yet so we know they are getting a drink and a splash around the head feathers and the temp in their house must be above freezing. They seem fine - the 2 KC amongst them looking very clean and some aylesburys which are very creamy white
R

pegs

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 17:13 »
Thanks - that sounds like a good idea. I've got some plastic storage boxes I could use. Just have to work out a way for them to get in and out.

Out of interest are you feeding them anything extra or just the usual corn and layers pellets?

Pegs

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 17:17 »
corn and layers at night (put to bed about 5.30 - we have a local fox) then when we let them out we scatter a few bits of bread and peelings from carrots, outside leaves from sprouts or cabbage or bits from anything from our stores that is getting a bit soft such as apples, butternut squash or marrow.
Best of luck
R

pegs

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 17:22 »
Thanks a lot. Finger's crossed they'll get through okay.. :)

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 18:19 »
I am using those rubberised trugs, really good and they dont crack in this weather.
I feed 50:50 wheat and pellets. Try and get duck pellets if you can. To encourage them in water, pop bits of brown bread in tepid water, that should get them in. Watch very carefully for wet feather, if they have this they will be reluctant to get in the water.

pegs

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 19:03 »
Oooh. What does wet feather look like?

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 20:46 »
Oooh. What does wet feather look like?

wet feather is basically where the feathers lose their nice tight, shiny look owing to a combination of preen gland problem and the fact the duck is unable to "comb" their feathers properly. The feathers typically look "wet" and take ages to dry. They lose their shine and waterproofness which is dangerous as then they are at risk of drowning.

Here is some excellent  information:

http://www.callducks.net/duckswetf.htm

pegs

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:26 »
Thanks. That sounds a possible as the girls are definitely looking less than at their best. Very useful advice on that website re: feeding. I had still got mine on 50% layers pellets. Even though they are not laying. Oops.

So time to get in some maintenance pellets and cod liver oil it sounds.

Am just off to try and dig a hole in the ground to put a washing basin of water out. Wish me luck! ::)

Thanks so much for all your useful advice.

xx
Advice on post Vaccination care

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 17:42
by chrissy
xx
Duck advice

Started by neil1967 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2009, 00:08
by neil1967
xx
Duck training advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 13:40
by matilda duck
xx
deformed Duck Advice please

Started by darrena on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 13:24
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 30 queries.