Fussy Chooks !!

• 9 Replies

francais

• Experienced Member
Fussy Chooks !!
« on: December 20, 2009, 14:36 »
I keep reading on here about the different bits & bobs you feed your girls, and cuz of the lack of grass at the moment I have been buying the scrap bags off the veg stalls. So far (over the last 5 or 6 weeks) they have been treated to....sprouts, spinach, cabbage, lettuce, soft tomatoes, couple of apples (both cut and hung one up) and butternut squash..and what do they think ???? not a blooming lot!!! The wander over prod the item for a while most of it gets left un touched! (except meal worms which cause great excitment - it's their Saturday morning treat! :lol:)

Do I just have the pickiest birds in the UK ???
Toni

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Fussy Chooks !!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 14:41 »
My chooks won't eat tough old greens either.  They will only consider eating sweet tender young leaves.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 14:46 »
My chickens like their greens to be growing in my veg patch..... its like a self service fresh buffet :tongue2:

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 15:41 »
That's where I am going wrong then!!  It's cuz they don't feel they have "stolen" my crops  :D  :happy:

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 15:53 »
mine dont like greens either, like yours they love mealworms, especially the live wriggly ones.

they are not eating many pellets either, they have been topping up from the garden, except for today, the run door has been open since we got back from the show, have they come out ?   no, one foot out, then back in under cover

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 18:32 »
Really wanted to try & get to the show today :( but went out for a works Christmas drink last night around Castle and ended up having about 5 or 6 drinks too many :lol:

I could not give them live meal worms !!! the dried type are enough for me!!! I will only put my hand in the box with my gloves on (I'm a wimp!!)  :D 

I have been giving the girls a bowl of mash each morning with a few corn flakes etc mixed in. I put this along side their normal bowl of dry pellets & must say they don't half like the mash better !!!

John and Joy

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 15:54 »
Hi we find that our chickens like cooked spagettie (may be because they look like worms)and cooked rice

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 12:25 »
Mine eat absolutely everything except carrots!!! They are currently finishing off the herb garden!! Mmmmmm......minty eggs anyone??????  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 16:44 »
Chickens do seem to be very suspicious of anything new and in cold weather they seem to favour more sustaining stuff over greenery.

Mine love soft greens - spinich, lettuce, chard, grass, any garden plant especially if it's one of her indoors prized specimens  ::) but they are indifferent to cabbage and rougher brassicas. I tried porridge the other day after reading everyone's else's posts on nice warming brekkies - they looked at me as if I was mad, curled their beaks and stomped off leaving it completely untouched  :blink:   

bee

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 21:58 »
The last couple of days to help them go to bed full I've given them a bowl of cooked macaroni - it disappeared in minutes. Also enjoyed leftover mash, and an apple hung up for them to jump up at and get some exercise, as the snow has left them retreating to their coop in disgust for chunks of the day.  Also enjoying the dried mealworms you can buy in Willkinsons and other places.  They are having layers pellets in the morning of course ... but I figured carbs later on would be good for them and a change from mixed corn.  They seem happy enough and they're laying most days, even in this rotten weather and short days; mind you, it is their first winter and they are hybrids.

xx
fussy rat

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 14:33
by joyfull
xx
Am i too fussy

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 15:27
by Lost in France
xx
Fussy eating ???

Started by Tenhens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2016, 22:44
by Tenhens
xx
fussy eaters!

Started by Nats on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 13:16
by blossom1044

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 30 queries.