Introducing new birds.

• 4 Replies

francais

• Experienced Member
Introducing new birds.
« on: December 10, 2009, 18:18 »
Hi guys after your advice agin please :)

think I may have mentioned that I have asked DH to build a new run, well he has been luck enough to source some galvanised weld mesh pre-made panels (a dog pen) so has a gate and everyting in it and should be very fox proof!!

Now I already have two hybrid ladies and adding one more in  week or so - I know not at all ideal to add one on it's own, but I don't have a choice (situation beyond my control) so have time off work to be on had to help her get aquainted.

Next spring, I wanted to add two more but so the kids find it interesting I have been trying to get different looking birds. The two on my wish list are a light sussex and a silver laced wyandotte, but not sure whats best to do. If I can arrange to pick both of the new ladies up on the same day and introduce them together, will it matter that they are not from the same group or will it still be ok as you are introducing two new birds instead of just one on her own?

What I was worried about was my group picking on new bird 1 & 2 and the 1 & 2 also fighting amongst themselves cuz they dont know each other either.  Hope I have explained this ok :)

Your advice, as always is most appreciated! :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 18:20 by francais »
Toni

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Re: Introducing new birds.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 09:01 »
I've read so much about this ... but this is the first time I've had to try out any of the (many) theories for myself!

I collected three new girls this week ... and for now, they're living totally separately. But my existing girls can free range round their run. In a week or so, I'll start free ranging the new girls, but at a different time to the old hands. And a week or so after that, I'll start free ranging them together for a short while each day.

Eventually, I thought I might shut the new girls in the large run for a while on their own, for them to get used to it before adding them all in together ... about 6 weeks from now if it all goes smoothly! So I think the secret is slowly, slowly ... but I'll let you know!

two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 10:18 »
Beulah is very sensible to do it the way she is. At least they have seen each other and know what the new birds smell like. Plus it is a good idea, if you can, not to put them straight in with your exixting brids in case they are carrying any disease. :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:27 »
I will have the new run up by the time they here, so I would have use of the old run for her - just dont have the house part as this is going into the new run! Should be ble to convert an old rabbit hutch though. Not brill but it would do as a temp thing then I could put this alongside the main run for a week or so so they can see each other through the mesh.

Would it be best do you think after say a week of living next to each other, I should put them in the main run for say the last hour before bedtime? and do it like this for a week or so see how the accept each other?

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 13:25 »
As you say introducing one to an existing run with two hens won't be ideal but the slow and gradual approach should work Ok.  I've introduced birds so many times now I don't find it a problem but it's usually several birds.  The point to note is that it's mainly a territorial issue rather than a getting to know issue.  Once the hens have estabished their territory as home they won't let new hens in and in particular won't let them feed or enter the house.  

If you have a new run that will make matters easier as the territory will be new to both sets of birds and you'll only have the pecking order disputes to sort out which usually aren't to bad as you shouldn't get the two trying to drive off the one.  So if possible introduce them all at the same time to the new run.  If the old pair pick on the new one badly you may have to separate them and try a more gradual approach but my guess is they won't, but make sure there's three lots of feed & water distributed around to prevent them guarding all of them at the same time.  Hand feed them treats together so they get used to sharing their feed.  You can try the first integrated introduction by putting them all together in the house after they've roosted.  You may need to do this a few nights but they'll soon get to accept each other.  

When introducing the two new hens in Spring there will be no problems between the new hens other than a pecking order but the old hens will be territorial and won't let them eat or enter the house and will try to drive them out of the run so you need to start gradually introducing them by having a small run inside the main run or at lease adjacent so they see one another.  Let them run together after a few days during the day for a few hours when you are around.  After about 1 or so weeks they should be well enough aquainted and you can allow them to roost together.  You will have to judge the time but if they aren'r chasing them and allowing them to eat (although after they have done so first) that's usually a good sign that they are ready to be fully integrated.  Expect a few disputes and passing pecks while they sort out the order initially.

As has been mentioned it is usually advisable to keep new birds in quarentine for about three weeks to prevent any infection which can start after stress.  However if you know the origin and are reasonably happy they are fit and well, for the sake of making life easy if you want to introduce the one to the two in a new run it might be best to forgo this precaution in this case.

Merry Christmas and a peaceful New Year (in the hen house)
HF
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 13:34 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
Introducing New Birds

Started by parson on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 12:51
by ycholmes
xx
introducing new birds.

Started by arrowni on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 10:19
by Sassy
xx
Introducing new POL birds

Started by lancspoultry on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 20:39
by bygrace
xx
Introducing new birds to a flock

Started by KateFW on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 21:47
by KateFW

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 36 queries.