Should chickens be bled?

• 7 Replies

Hawthorn Harry

Should chickens be bled?
« on: December 11, 2009, 16:56 »
One of our CLB roosters is scheduled to join us for Sunday lunch!!  ;)  One question, is it best to bleed him from the neck after wringing or use the cone method and bleed him as the method of dispatch?  Is there any difference to the meat quality with bled or un-bled chicken?  When I dispatch pheasants I don't bleed them.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Should chickens be bled?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 16:59 »
We bleed our chickens Harry, as once hubby didn't do it with a couple, and the neck wasn't long enough to collect all the blood, so you had the black veins all through the bird where the blood had stayed and then cooked!  looked horrible, luckily they were only for our consumption.  We don't wring necks as its illegal here now, although okay if you only do it for one or 2 birds for yourself!  So hubby stuns them then cuts their throats.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 17:07 »
We hang ours for a few hours and the blood drains into the head/neck section. :D

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 17:13 »
That still leaves the question as to which method (for the smallholder) is best.  Stun (with a priest) and bleed, wring and bleed or straight bleed using a cone or similar?  I don't usually worry but this will be the 1st home grown bird to join us for dinner and I don't want turned up noses!!!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 17:16 »
Well these ones we had obviously had more blood than neck!!   :D :D

Hubby said if he didn't have his stunner, he would wring them then bleed. 

How many would you be doing Harry?  Only we also have a wall dispatcher which is what I use if I have to cull any.  They are £30, but worth it as I'd worry if I didn't wring their neck properly.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 17:24 »
Have you ever killed a chicken Hawthorn Mary???
Might be worth getting someone to show you properly, personally neck wringing is a skill, I wouldn't recommend, nor the stunning method unless you have the proper electrical equipment like Grannie has. The most fool-proof way for a beginner is probably the "broom method" or a good quality wall mounted dispatcher. Ascott do a good range of wall mounted despatchers I am not sure how good they are for large birds, Grannie will know though :lol:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 17:30 »
Brian doesn't like doing turkeys or geese with the wall mounted one as they are stronger birds and not as easy to hold even with a pillowcase or something wrapped round them. 

Our wall mounted one is the same as the Ascott one!

carolbriar

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 17:57 »
Oh Hawthorn Harry, that's not the cream legbar rooster you offered me the other day?  Sorry to hear it will be departing and being served as Sunday lunch! :(  My husband asked me if  I would be prepared to eat our hens and I had to say no.  I know there's nothing wrong with doing that but I get too attached.   :)

Carolbriar
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
help need with my chickens

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 04:37
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 36 queries.