Damp nest box floor?

• 16 Replies

Flowerpower136

Damp nest box floor?
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:33 »
I've noticed recently that underneath the woodshavings and straw, the base of the nest boxes are damp every morning.

Some of the girls are sleeping in there, but they are dry when they go to bed.  Could it be condensation from sleeping chucks breath??!

Just can't imagine what is causing it all of a sudden.

Coop and girls are under cover, so its not rain related.

I've put a newspaper in the base of each this morning, under the straw, to try to absorb it.

Any ideas?

Bigblacktaximan

Re: Damp nest box floor?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25 »
I'd put money on it being condensation,
warmer air inside the box coming into contact with the cold wood base of the nest box.

Can you get your chooks to hold their breath maybe  :tongue2:  maybe not 
Can you insulate the underneath outside of the box ?
Or maybe block off the nest boxes at night ?
or a deeper layer of shavings/straw

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28 »
Good point from BBTM, have you got enough ventilation in the house?

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 13:43 »
It's a big airy coop with corregated roof.  The vent is the space under the corregated bits.
The nest area itself isn't ventilated - would be worried about drafts at that level - but is open to the rest of the coop.  Don't think ventilation could be better to be honest.

Have thought about shutting them out of there, but reluctant because they are ex batts, and already have guilt pangs for not letting them completely free range.  I just hate stopping them doing what they want to do ::)

I think it must be condensation, because it was bone dry during the summer.  Goodness knows what they are getting up to in there to requires such heavy breathing ::)

Extra wood shavings didn't seem to help, and I'm hoping the wadge of newspaper will do the trick.  At least it's easy to take out and replace every morning if necessary.  Or might go for something more absorbent like Hempcore?

Good idea re external insulation under base, we could do that.  Have to have a think about best way and get it done at the weekend.

Thanks.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 17:51 »
The eglu cube has loads of ventilation slits and I thought it was a bit ott.
However, even with them I have a stream of condensation under the perches/poo trays just from 3 hens.
Luckily this drips out via the underneath slots.
If they were allowed to sleep in the nest boxes, I would have the same problem as you. Even though there is a slot it's covered with straw and wood shavings!! I chuck them out each night and the nest box stays dry! :D :D

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 22:45 »
hi flowerpower, i had this exact problem recently and after much investigation discovered a very tiny dribble of water was running down one of the seams in the coop wetting it on the floor - at first i wasnt convinced this was the problem but put a bit of plastic over the entire coop when it was pouring down and no damp floor now - no excuses for lack of eggs, chance would be a fine thing :) 

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 02:34 »
I'd set aside your concerns about keeping them out of the nestboxes and then see how it goes.  If it's still wet it's likely to be water from rain or condensation running in. Surprising how water can get in but it doesn't necessarily come from a hole in the roof as it can run along lips and even a small drip you don't notice in summer can cause the problem in winter.
Truth through science.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 09:27 »
Right, will insulate the bottom of the coop including the nest box area, and give some thought about how to shut them out of the nest boxes at night. :(   I know it's the right thing to do really. 

I'm 100% certain it's not water getting in, because even if coop was leaking (which it never did through the warmer weather), the whole thing is within a roofed enclosure.  It's all dry as a bone - apart from the floor of the nest boxes!

That's why I've concluded that it must be condensation, probably from the girls breath (8 wedge themselves into 3 nest boxes :dry:, and of course, at this time of year, the lovely steamy poos!! :D..... OMG the things we discuss on this forum!

Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments.

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47 »
 :ohmy: Ahh I thought this just happened to me ! Three out of 4 of our girls cram into the nest box each night, I was convinced it was rain getting in from somewhere and poor OH was mystified ! I have used newspaper to line the base but it just ends up soggy and has to be replaced daily ! Will try blocking off the nest box at night I think, Thanks for the post XX Ju XX :D

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 14:36 »
The only prob. with blocking off the nestboxes overnight is that some hens lay really early and you'll end up with eggs in the coop!
I check the nestboxes every night when I shut the pophole and any sleepy girls in the comfy nestbox are moved to the perches (aaaahhhh... meanie!) They're really dozy (quite sweet, really) so make sure they're latched on !
They never go back in so I don't have to poo pick the straw and the eggs are clean (ish)
It's a real b***** going out on these disgusting, dark and wet evenings (my garden is flooded!) but my girls are in and asleep by 4.30 so I can relax!!! :mellow:

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 16:20 »
dont get me stared on damp houses  >:( >:( i am about to flip with mine but its mainly the roof thats damp from leaking .

my girls or the odd one lays during the night well must be as i let them out at 6am an theres already a clod egg waiting for me  :lol:.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 16:57 »
hi flowerpower, i had this exact problem recently and after much investigation discovered a very tiny dribble of water was running down one of the seams in the coop wetting it on the floor - at first i wasnt convinced this was the problem but put a bit of plastic over the entire coop when it was pouring down and no damp floor now - no excuses for lack of eggs, chance would be a fine thing :) 
Ditto the above

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 19:33 »
i have the same problem and use hemcore in the nestboxes. 2-3 inches of the stuff. i'd insulate   better but i'm just about to move them to a new house. i've ex batts and several of them do like to snuggle up in the nestboxes.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 08:40 »
Success!!!

I seemed to have found a solution.

I put newspaper in the base to act as an absorber, expecting to have to replace it every day (till weekend when we intended to lag under the base), and low and behold, the paper has done the job.

Not soggy, nice and dry.

I bunged a whole newspaper in each box, not just a couple of sheets, so it must be acting as an internal insulation.

Anyway, jobs a good'n, and a job less to do at the weekend.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 08:44 »
WooHoo I love it when a plan comes together  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Damp ?

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 04, 2014, 14:30
by joyfull
xx
Damp Chicken house!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 23:49
by muntjac
xx
run floor

Started by samuria on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 20:24
by grinling
xx
run floor

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 23:09
by Gloria

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 37 queries.