question re garlic

• 13 Replies

chili

• Experienced Member
question re garlic
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:13 »
plant my garlic maybe 2 weeks ago (1 week later than my neighbour) his is now approx 2" high and mine has still not shown? is this possible only difernce i can see is that he used bone meal on the ground. we purchased from same place but a different variety?

should i leave it or turf it out and start again? ground is very wet at the moment.

thanks

Ropster

Re: question re garlic
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:39 »
I wouldnt worry just yet, you could have a root around one to see if there is any sign

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 13:17 »
I didn't use bone meal, and mine have come through fine.

Their's still plenty of time yet, so just let nature take it's course.
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 15:33 »
Probably the variety. He may have cultivated the soil differently and the soil is warmer. More likely yours are planted deeper. I like my garlic in 3/4 inches as I think it withstands drought better on my light soil.

Bone meal should make no difference.

crh75

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 16:54 »
Were they a different variety?
I planted several varieties about 1 month ago. One type was up in a week some of the others are still barely showing yet!
I forget if the quicker ones are the hard necked or soft necked.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 19:32 »
agree with others, mine came up quick this year and are 3 inches high but last year they took well over a month to show, as suggested dig one up carefully to see if rooting or rotting.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 22:10 »
thanks for the replies will leave them till next week.

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 13:07 »
well i had a root round today no pun intended andit would appear that the bulbs are in firm i tried to pull one but it put up some resistance so i left it. maybe i should of just ripped it out to see for defenite  :)

bigben

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 14:31 »
I planted some garlic over a month ago - some are over 6 inches but others have barely shown. They were a mix of types which might explain the difference.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 15:05 »
I've just been to the lottie to check on mine.  I planted them six weeks ago  on 5th October - Aquila Wight, Solent Wight and Picardy Wight.  The Aquila Wight are well up - about 8"- but there is not a sign of the others yet.  I am wondering if it could be that Aquila is a hardneck variety and the others are softneck? 

I am not too worried as I seem to remember they took a long time to show last year.  I only wish I had made a note in my Daily Telegraph Gardener's diary as I usually do.  Memo to self:  put 2010 DT diary on my Christmas list :)

costas

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 20:17 »
Hi

I planted Aquila Wight in mid March and was wondering when I could harvest them?  ( reading all the posts it seems like I should have planted them in Autumn !! but FotherGill sold them to me in March so I thought that would be ok........

First Timer! :blink:

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51 »
Hi

I planted Aquila Wight in mid March and was wondering when I could harvest them?  ( reading all the posts it seems like I should have planted them in Autumn !! but FotherGill sold them to me in March so I thought that would be ok........

First Timer! :blink:

It is usually better to plant the cloves in autumn because they need a period of cold weather which we had in spades this year :) .  If you live in the North, you might get away with it as we had a cold spring. 

You can harvest when the tops turn yellow - mine are already doing this and I will probably start to lift them in a week or so.  Lift them carefully with a fork - they will be deeper than onions and shallots.  Then leave them outside to dry or in the greenhouse/garage on newspaper if it is wet.  The skins look green not like the papery stuff on shop bought, but after a week or so they will start to turn papery, then you can plait them if you like.  Good luck :)

By the way, all mine came through beautifully in the end and now I have such a big crop I will have to try and sell some to Waitrose!

costas

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 09:53 »
I live in Oxford............the tops are still green  - so I might need to wait a little while.........  I cant leave them to next year?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 10:15 »
If you leave them to next year, all the individual cloves will start sprouting come the autumn.

Just wait until they yellow.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
garlic question

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 03, 2017, 07:53
by Blewit
xx
Garlic question

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2015, 12:17
by LottyLouis
xx
another garlic question..

Started by Scotch Thistle on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 15:53
by Kristy8
xx
Garlic question

Started by stu_wat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 12:31
by SG6

Page created in 0.947 seconds with 30 queries.