Help - poorly chook!

• 9 Replies

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
Help - poorly chook!
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:23 »
Our Penny has been really lack-lustre since Friday evening, really sleepy and withdrawn.  Wet yellow poop, and is keeping herself to herself.  She is hunched up and not eating.#

Have tried calcium in case she is egg bound and a warm bath but she just kept dozing off!  Also tried veg oil in case she is crop bound.  Poor little mite looks really down.

The rest of the girls are all doing well and there is no sign of mites or lice, I am at a loss as to what to do and am really gutted as she is the girl my mum named  :(
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

Vember

Re: Help - poorly chook!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:08 »
Think your best bet is to get her to a vet asap :)

Has she laid recently that you know of? Is she eating/drinking? What colour is her comb?

Sarah :)

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:50 »
Her comb was pale pink earlier but ir quite red now, she has been stood, asleep in the sunshine for an hour or so and is warm in general.

Has driede out ok after the warm bath and we have managed to get some more vits and calcium down her plus some water with apple cider vinegar.  She definately was fiestier the second time around but has dozed off again! :(

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 16:57 »
Her comb was pale pink earlier but ir quite red now, she has been stood, asleep in the sunshine for an hour or so and is warm in general.

Has driede out ok after the warm bath and we have managed to get some more vits and calcium down her plus some water with apple cider vinegar.  She definately was fiestier the second time around but has dozed off again! :(
Sad news, found Penny in the coop this morning after all the other girls had started on brekki, I had forgotten how much it hurts losing a pet, worse still I have to ring my mum this evening and tell her that her fave girl has gone :(

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 17:03 »

Sad news, found Penny in the coop this morning after all the other girls had started on brekki, I had forgotten how much it hurts losing a pet, worse still I have to ring my mum this evening and tell her that her fave girl has gone :(
Very sorry to hear your news, it is horrid  we lost our first ex bat, Honey,t in similar circumstnces two weeks ago, I truly believe she was just tired out, It seems to be quite a ommon ocurrence, having read of quite a few like this on here, all the best Ju X

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 17:11 »
Thanks Ju, my OH thinks I am slightly barkin being so cut up about it all but I have spent every free moment with them since they moved in and I feel as though I have let her down.
Like OH says tho - at least she had 5 weeks of freedom and sunshine on her back, I hope she wasn't in pain

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 17:17 »
 :) That was the one consolation I had that she had some sunshine and fun in her last months, I felt so awful that I hadnt managed to help her , but when someone on here pointed that out it made me feel a little better.
All the best Ju X
P S Dont worry about being barking ,it means you care, and I think most of us are anyway ! X

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 17:20 »
Oh dear, so sorry your chookie has passed away. You did all you could and in the end nature just takes over.

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 17:29 »
(sigh) Now I am completely paranoid about them (more so than before!), they will only just have gone to bed now and the pop hole will close in about 15 mins - we are stuck at work and all I can do is worry if another is poorly or if a fox has discovered them.  Not that there has been a sighting of a fox near us, or that there isn't a flock of free range hens in the field behind us which are easier pickings but still...can't wait to go home  ???

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 21:06 »
(sigh) Now I am completely paranoid about them (more so than before!), they will only just have gone to bed now and the pop hole will close in about 15 mins - we are stuck at work and all I can do is worry if another is poorly or if a fox has discovered them.  Not that there has been a sighting of a fox near us, or that there isn't a flock of free range hens in the field behind us which are easier pickings but still...can't wait to go home  ???
OH NO so sorry I didnt want to worry you even more, I DO hope all is well, I am sure it will all be fine,
take care Ju XX

xx
poorly chook

Started by atsndave on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:34
by henamoured
xx
ANOTHER POORLY CHOOK - PLEASE HELP

Started by cejx on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 22:31
by drumstick
xx
Poorly chook?

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 23:44
by wildwitchy
xx
Poorly chook

Started by Wortle on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 08:09
by Wortle

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 36 queries.