New to chookie keeping

• 6 Replies

soya-bean

New to chookie keeping
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:05 »
We got our first three ladies last Wed.  They have settled in well after some sorting out who was boss. Had three eggs so far.  We had to get in the run at night to catch them and out them in the coop, buut last night they surprised us by putting themselves to bed - lovely.

No trouble with neighbouring cats yet, nor the local fox.  The run and coop are fox-proof (Chiccubes) but I wonder if his presence would freak out the birds.  After some enquiries we have found a local feed merchant and vet.  Next thing I want to do is take them down to the allotment when I am down there, so I shall have to fence off the open side.  Would it be best if I clip one of their wings or will they stay on my plot?
Pause, be still and observe the world with all your senses - you will gain much!

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: New to chookie keeping
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:19 »
Welcome to chicken keeping. 
Regarding the wing clipping; it depends on the height of your fences.  Even with one wing clipped some are still able to clear 4 - 5 ft high.  Also, make sure they cannot get over the fence via their coop roof, etc.
Chickens can be spooked by anything strange around their run, so yes, reynard would definitely cause a stir!!
Good luck.
cathangirl

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:32 »
Im also intending on keeping chickens on the allotment and have marked out an area that can be made up using one 25m electric poultry net,   >:(  It's not all that big  = 6m x 6.5m which sounds bigger than it looks.
The other size option was a 50mtr net which going to be too long.

Secondly I was concerned that the poultry netting I'd found was only 1.1m tall which sounds fine but really doesnt look like it would be tall enough.

I have now found a supplier who does a 40m net with the added bonus of being 1.22mtr tall, the trade off is the cost at £93, then there's the energiser and battery to buy, so it on hold until I can find the funds.

soya-bean

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 16:03 »
My intention was not to keep the girls down there - too big a risk.  I was simply going to let them scratch around whilst I worked.  The fence will be 1mtr tall - nothing for them to get a launch off like a coop.  I might start by putting them in the brassica cages first until they get used to being down there.

Be nice to have the company and they should help immensely in keeping the 'pillars down.

::)

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 16:14 »
The main problem i can see is the stress caused by moving them to and from the lotty may put them off lay for a few days do this twice a week you may never get eggs.

soya-bean

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 20:49 »
The main problem i can see is the stress caused by moving them to and from the lotty may put them off lay for a few days do this twice a week you may never get eggs.

Eerrrm... hadn't thought of that.  Thought they might really enjoy the run round.  Thanks for the caution.

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 20:55 »
Have to say - I wouldn't be moving them either - as much as they may or may not like it the stress would not be good.....may even get the odd egg-bound. Stress lowers the immune system anyway and therefore - coughs and colds etc!! They like their own familiar surroundings on the whole. Whilst mine could venture over the fence and head off into a lovely inviting field behind the house - they don't!! Our garden is in 3 layers...initially they lived on the top layer with their run and house. We let them out and for the first week they refused to come down onto the next layer.....it was a couple of months before they were brave enough to venture onto the patio!! Bless 'em!!  :)

xx
How do I know if my chookie is egg bound

Started by chookaburra on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2009, 21:50
by chooksbury
xx
Our boy is now in chookie heaven.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 19:44
by bantam novice
xx
Keeping out Mr Fox

Started by Ruth Cross on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 19, 2007, 10:26
by muntjac
xx
new to hen keeping

Started by chelle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 18:11
by chelle

Page created in 0.567 seconds with 36 queries.