Roland has arrived

• 38 Replies

lightyears

Roland has arrived
« on: October 16, 2009, 21:53 »
My whole allotment site has become overrun with rats all of a sudden, this morning we caught one as big as an cat eating from our chickens feeder, they are too quick for my gun and they have ate a whole seedtray of poison so far but its a super rat. Any suggestions? im not the only one being affected, about 10 other plot holders are having the same. I was going to try and trap them in a cage and then shoot them close up

Rubellite

Re: Roland has arrived
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 22:01 »
Sounds like a good idea to me  ;)
Don't think you're allowed to talk about shooting them on here  :ohmy:
You've got to humanely kill 'em!  :lol: :lol:

poppies

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 22:07 »
Hi have you been using the same poison for very long? as apparently they can become  immune to it.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 22:10 »
How horrible, have you contacted pest control? I would imagine if you are all suffering then measures then all of the affected plots would have to be treated at the same time?
We haven't had them yet, ours turn up mid November... >:(

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 22:30 »
I have had a few - usually dead left outside the bedroom door care of my little niblet puss, one was nearly as big as her though  :ohmy:

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 23:28 »
Sounds like a good idea to me  ;)
Don't think you're allowed to talk about shooting them on here  :ohmy:
You've got to humanely kill 'em!  :lol: :lol:

To humanely kill them, you are supposed to put the trap in a bucket of water and drown it  :blink: how is this humane? shooting it is a lot quicker  ::)

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

nzdunn

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:55 »
oh god, i would seriously die if i saw a rat,  cause i live in such a big estate and am surrounded by houses, im sure if one of the neighbours saw a rat that would be the end of my girls,  Im abit OCD when it comes to cleaning everything up and dont leave anything out foodwise for them so i may be lucky, got to respect the neighbours.   We have sooooo many cats around here though i hope they play a deterant.   Gees even the word rat sends shivers down my spine.  nickyx

lightyears

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:26 »
How horrible, have you contacted pest control? I would imagine if you are all suffering then measures then all of the affected plots would have to be treated at the same time?
We haven't had them yet, ours turn up mid November... >:(

we are a council run site and have called the council pest people who have done nothing really. I set a nasty old trap last night and caught one, caught meaning almost cut it in half though. ::)

ive got a rat cage this morning and set it, hopefully i will have some target practice later. please don't blast me for being cruel. given the chance they would take over my chicken pen.

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 11:51 »
Sit up with a decent air rifle after and only after you are sure you can put shot after shot through a 10p size target. Smear peanut butter on your kill zone. They stop to lick. Then shoot them. After a few nights no more rats. No you have not killes them all but they realise it is unsafe to stay.

As far as humane killing is concerned how is poison humane when they bleed out. Poison is alos lethal to cats, dogs and birds of prey. The only poison I use is high velocity metal.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

Rubellite

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:54 »
Don't think you can be cruel to a rat.
Think I'd rather have the nasty old fashioned trap and then drop it on the bonfire than catch it live and drown it, Michelle  :(
Nasty things, eeurgh!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 12:15 »
We use Mark 4 Fenn Traps house in specially designed boxes for safety.

Go to Domestic Fowl Trust website and order from there.  They make and supply the DFT boxes also.

Us and neighbours had problems with rats this time last year, even getting into the house. Eeeek :tongue2: 

Council came out and put down poison bait, but that resulted in dead and stinking rats in the walls, and didn't manage to get rid of them.  So we got advice from local game keeper.  She recommended these traps, and 'job's a good'en' as they say. :lol:

We still bait them every night, but haven't caught anything now for at least 3 months.

lightyears

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 13:10 »
Sit up with a decent air rifle after and only after you are sure you can put shot after shot through a 10p size target. Smear peanut butter on your kill zone. They stop to lick. Then shoot them. After a few nights no more rats. No you have not killes them all but they realise it is unsafe to stay.

As far as humane killing is concerned how is poison humane when they bleed out. Poison is alos lethal to cats, dogs and birds of prey. The only poison I use is high velocity metal.

ive been shooting since i can remember so have no trouble with target practice, ive got a night sight so i might stake it out in the darkness.

Rubellite

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 20:00 »
I don't like guns and certainly wouldn't be able to use one without shooting myself in the foot  :( so I sent the dogs in...........

Complete waste of time as rats were too deep in. Can't poison there as terriers will just keep going back, so will be moving pile of earth, no longer composting and keeping fingers crossed that the rats will go back to the other side of the fence (sewage bed) where they put down plenty of poison regularly.  ::)

I did poison when I found evidence under the chicken shed, but was able to conceal the poison so dogs and cats and chickens weren't at risk  :)

Vember

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 20:32 »
I once sent the dogs in they chased the trap instead of the live rat  :wacko: 

They are good at rounding ducks up though :D

Erradibate is my weapon of choice, recommended by the barn owl trust as it  doesn't harm other animals that may eat the poisoned ones :)

Sarah :)

lightyears

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 21:42 »
A freind of mine suggested he tryed his ferret out down the hole. I might give it a go tomorrow and see.

xx
Roland rat

Started by wilbzfishing on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 08:38
by Mrs Bee
xx
C-Day has arrived!

Started by Njal on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 17:14
by honeysuckle farm
xx
They've arrived!!

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 19:46
by sorrel
xx
They've arrived!!!!

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 05:33
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 31 queries.