Roland rat

• 13 Replies

wilbzfishing

Roland rat
« on: February 12, 2013, 14:53 »
Just need a bit of advice have had chickens for about 5 years, never had a problem with rats, on Friday when I went to feed them, there were signs that a rat had been trying to dig under the run.  We went out got traps and poison.  Saturday the trap had been dragged under the fence, more sign of digging, Sunday no sign at all but we had loads of rain. Monday tea time whilst doing dinner saw Roland rat run across the garden up to the shed looking for a way in.  I let the dogs out and it was behind the greenhouse, my husband managed to poke it with a garden cane, but it ran off through the neighbours garden.
Today whilst in the kitchen Roland was back trying to dig under the chicken run, I sneaked out with two of the dogs, after 2 or 3 min they flushed him out and he was a gonna. 
There is a lot of building work going on up the road, where some out buildings have been knocked down, do you think this was a loan rat looking for food or if he has brought the family.  We have checked the garden and can't find anywhere they could be living, and always thought we never had a problem previous due to the fact we have 4 jack Russell's, and this has always put them off.  I was quite surprised to see it out at daytime to. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

8doubles

Re: Roland rat
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 15:12 »
I think you have it about right and the rats have come from the building site. I would say that between the traps (wire them to something) and the Jack Russells the situation will be under control PDQ.
 I would be a bit concerned about one of the Jacks eating a poisoned rat even though most loose interest in the rat once killed.

bravemurphy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 16:05 »
I dont know what trap you got but i got these 6N4vrFcX4zg bait them with peanut butter on some netting wired behind the tredle plate it works a treat and you know what ya got cos i have had a few hedgehogs in them too, thats another reason why i dont like poison as either your dog could eat the dead rat or your chickens or anything for that matter.
They just cant resist peanut butter tho the cheaper the better  :)

wilbzfishing

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 19:49 »
Thanks for the reply, the poison is out of the way so the dogs and chickens can't get to it, and I must admit the dogs are very good, and don't eat stuff.  She was ever so proud of herself sat wagging her tail sat next to it.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:03 »
Thanks for the reply, the poison is out of the way so the dogs and chickens can't get to it, and I must admit the dogs are very good, and don't eat stuff.  She was ever so proud of herself sat wagging her tail sat next to it.

At least rats give dogs a chance to be themselves for a few minutes without recriminations ! :)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06 »
As we are due snow in North Yorkshire later today if you get the chance go out and check for tracks.  This may also show where they may be nesting :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36 »
A bit off topic, but we used to have rats, but I think they have all gone now, but I saw a couple of mice, I have always asummed if you have mice, you dont have rats, is this right ?

I have a couple of covered mouse and rat traps both outside and in the chicken run, the chicks and hens cant get to them, I have also got rat poison outside, behind the shed, but it doesnt seem to be touched
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 16:17 »
Sorry Pepsi, but we had both. :(

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 16:21 »
Sorry Pepsi, but we had both. :(

Ah, that put the kibosh on that thought, I thought the rats would have eaten the mice, maybe I'll keep the rat traps and poison on the go then  >:(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 16:26 »
We keep ours permanently at the ready and seem to be keeping them under control.

The rats were coming from the old lady next door who will insist on leaving food out for the squirrels and foxes. I am surprised she hasn't accused us of leaving chicken food out and encouraging them. >:(

Can't see the rodents getting in to the metal food bins and we take all food in at night too.

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 16:29 »
I have never understood why people feed vermin, I guess there is no cure for stupid  ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 16:39 »
I can't disagree with you on that my love. :(

wilbzfishing

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 22:05 »
Just an update no sign of  any more rats :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:38 »
That is good news Wilbz. I would still keep some rat traps down to be on the safe side. ;)

xx
Roland has arrived

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 20:45
by death of rats

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 36 queries.