Complete Newby

• 9 Replies

csarge38

Complete Newby
« on: September 29, 2009, 17:01 »
Downhill and with the wind in the right direction I will be granted an allotment on 6th October 2009.

I am a complete novice at this, albeit eager to learn and would appreciate any guidance with regard to timings, what should I grow and when, how should I have the soil to give me a good start etc.

I appreciate that for the first few months it will all be dig and prepare, dig and prepare but I have no idea about which crops to plant and when to enable me to get the very best out of all year (or at least most of the year) growing.  So many conflicting gems of info.

A basic 'beginners guide' would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Complete Newby
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 17:03 »
Hi Chris & welcome.

I think you'll find this part of the site useful:

http://allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

kittiwake

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 17:51 »
The best thing to start with is a list of all the things you like eating (there is no point growing things you dont like).

Once you have done that consider if there are any veg that are hard to get in the shops or unusual varieties you would like to try. I have found some interesting veg at www.realseeds.co.uk.

You will also need to consider what type of soil you have. Whilst it isnt impossible to grow veg suited for particular conditions in unfavourable soil its worth thinking about how you will go about it. eg root veg like carrots and parsnips on very stony ground can cause split roots. A solution might be growing in rauised beds or containers. Veg that like free draining soil wont appreciate waterlooged conditions. Those veg may again need to be grown in raised bed or on mounded up soil.

Work out where your compost bins sheds and permanent planting eg fruitbushes, comfrey etc will be. Try not to place anything so that it will shade your or your neighbours' plot.

Get some books out of the library or buy Johns book :) to give you an idea of when to plant and harvest.

Try and plant something as soon as you get your plot eg overwintering onion, garlic, and winter salad leaves. It will make you feel you have accomplished something and help keep you enthusiasm going whilst you dig the weeds out of the rest of the plot.

Kitti

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 17:58 »
I bought 'Vegetable Growing Month By Month' by John Harrison and that really helped me out.  It is only £6 and invaluable for new growers in my opinion.

Do you know what kind of state the plot is in as that will make a big difference.  Is it overgrown?  Is it a new site?  Has anything been grown on there before etc etc.

Good luck and welcome to the forum  :D

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 18:03 »
One piece of advice that worked for me - don't 'over-think' it - prepare beds, buy seeds for things you like, follow the instructions on the packs and read a couple of good books (and devour this site) and simply see what happens.

Make notes of what you do, what you sow and when, when you plant out, when you harvest and what the results were. Anything that goes wrong or you don't understand, come on here and ask, any pests or things that go worng, ditto.

Year on year you'll learn what works, what doesn't, the best things for your soil, the best timings etc etc - I'm just using a back garden but in three years of basically trial and error I've gone from a few herbs and a small potato crop to a greenhouse, raised beds and a herb garden and this year I harvested (or am harvesting, or will harvest) spuds, garlic, herbs, tomatoes, parsnips, leeks, sprouts, peas, courgettes, runner beans, broad beans and carrots.

Being reasonably cheap, if you're going to go wrong, a packet of seeds going to waste here and there isn't the end of the world.

Above all, enjoy it - you'll find Mother Nature is very forgiving - and when she's not, the people on here are!  :D

Veg? That's chips, innit?

SalB

• salslickleshed
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 18:17 »
Hiya , I have just completed my first year on my plot with huge success (even if I do say so myself)

My advice to you is to clear a patch where you can put some onion sets , shallots and garlic in over the winter ... this really helped keep my spirits up as I cleared and prepared the rst of the plot for the spring sowing.

Don't under estimate the power of netting! .... although you won't need much until the spring and do get a copy of John's book "vegetable Growing Month by Month". This is my bible and it's referred to regularly my myself , hubby and everyone else that was new on our site!  

Speak to the older people (not necessarily in age! ) on your site for advice , they are usually more than happy to help , especially if it comes with a cuppa , and watch what they are growing as they will know what grows well on the site.

Most importantly , enjoy your plot ..... I love every minute I spend down there and my hubby who wasn't interested at all when I started is now completly addicted and spends every spare moment down there

Feel free to take a look at my blog, maybe you'll get some ideas or at least be able to see what can be acheived in your first year

Good luck and keep smilin'
Love Sal
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 19:08 by Yorkie »
The sun is always shining .... somewhere!

Pompey Spud

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 18:23 »
Hi.

I was a complete novice when I started in Feb 08 with half a plot.

Best advice is to read John's books all the time and follow the instruction without people interfering....trust me...they will. So that you begin to 'soak' up the info.

I now have a full size plot that's going all right and feel confident to give people advice when sought.

Also. Make sure you grow spuds and take photos. It's the law here.   :)
Top tip for camping....don't go.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 18:31 »
Not that I'm hijacking this thread....

Love your blog Sal.

How does one start a blog as I have loads of pics since I started my Lottie?

I'm like your husband. It's so addictive to the point I hardly play golf and can't be assed with the footie so much.  :blink: & not because my driving license has more points.

Your potting bench is rather cool.   Crumbs...I'll be buying tank tops next!!

csarge38

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:21 »
Thank you all for your invaluable information.  I have indeed taken your advice and bought 'John's Book' which I eagerly await delivery of.  The Allotment growers Bible by the sounds of things.  I will apologise now as I just know there will be millions of questions aimed at you all, I only hope you don't all get fed up with them.

Thanks Again

Chris

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 17:40 »
Nah, we won't get fed up, we like questions  :D

But it's always worth trying the search facility, as you can learn loads that way too  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Another newby!

Started by Mintymonkeylover on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 24, 2006, 00:21
by Oliver
xx
Another Newby needs help

Started by fluffypebble on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 08, 2007, 20:27
by muntjac
xx
Newby

Started by Charlie on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2006, 09:31
by John
xx
hi newby whats this

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 19:07
by tooo many seeds

Page created in 0.868 seconds with 29 queries.