Another Newby needs help

• 18 Replies

fluffypebble

Another Newby needs help
« on: January 03, 2007, 19:22 »
Hi, I am in the process of acquiring my first allotment.  Before I sign on the dotted line is there anything I should look out for?  The site has recently been refurbished, rubbish removed and new fencing erected.  
Thank you in anticipation.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

shaun

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 19:30 »
welcome fluffy i would try to get a plot next to someone who makes moonshine in there shed  :wink:
a good point is access you see a lot of plots where you cant get a vehicle in makes a big difference if you have to barrow everything a few hundred yards.
have you seen the plot yet ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

fluffypebble

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 19:49 »
Not yet, tried to find it on my way home from work in the dark. I have a feeling it may be down a footpath I did find.  I know that there is no mains water but if I want a site with water the waiting list is years, so I will do the water butts for rain water and take some water from home when needed.
I do have a wheelbarrow (I am a very novice gardener and this is my only piece of equipment) and access to an estate car so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad.  I will check it out on Sat in daylight but it is close to a real ale pub and at 3 miles from home within crawling distance should I be tempted.

muntjac

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 20:27 »
if some plots have water and yours doesnt get to know those that do and crack a deal for using a long hose pipe  :wink:  souds to me like a good site if its clean and tidy . look for gaps under fencing on your plot if it is close to .it may allow kids under and or rabbits in use chicken wire buried half way down in the soil .wire the top to the main fencing  :wink: .and glad to say hello to another new member of the nutters gang :lol:
still alive /............

fluffypebble

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 20:35 »
Thanks Muntjac

There are no plots on this site with water, I think that is why the waiting list is shorter.  The woman at the council did say to get a plot on another site it is dead mans shoes, so short of killing off a few people I think this should be ok.

But I will be relatively fit carrying all the water and equipment etc so it can only do me good and it means I get an allotment.  Hopefully I will be able to put up a shed for storage.

Ice

• muck spreader
Another Newby needs help
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 22:08 »
Sorry if I am stating the obvious but all the plots on my new site have plastic guttering around their sheds and any surface that catches water, channeled into butts.  We have mains water but are fiercely discouraged from using it, quite rightly.  Seems to work for them :wink:

I'm a newbie too, by the way.  Got my plot a couple of weeks ago.  Paid someone to rotovate it and it now resembles the Somme.  Also, he took out a part of my neighbours flower bed.  I'm just waiting for the dreaded call and the smack on the wrist, or worse. :cry:
Cheese makes everything better.

milkman

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 09:22 »
hallo and welcome fluffypebble - sign on the dotted line and go for it without any hesitation.  lottie life is wonderful.  don't worry too much about the water situation.  focus efforts on mulching and making your soil as moisture retentive as possible (with liberal applications of home-made compost) plus the water gathering methods outlined above.  direct what water you have to where it is most needed so that not a drop is wasted.  you will still get really good results and can be all the more prouder for having achieved it without access to mains water.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

fluffypebble

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:31 »
Thanks for that Ice Hockey Mad.

I am hoping they let me erect a shed  and I will put guttering around it etc.  There is no mains water on site so I will not have that as an option.

Was the person you paid to rotivate a professional? I was just thinking that if they were then they should have public liability insurance so could recompense your neighbour for the flower beds.  If not good luck when the call comes.

I just want the plot and to get started but I know in my naeivety I may sign up for more than I bargained.  But reading posts on here most problems have solutions so I am not as worried now, thanks.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Another Newby needs help
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 12:18 »
Welcome Fluffypebble

Hope you do go for it, once you have got a plot you and your fellow plot holders can start to petition the council for mains water.

Although the weather is too bad to start planting, digging etc, you can get a start by collecting pallets or wood to make up manure / compost bins these can be built during the odd dry spell.
Paul

fluffypebble

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 12:56 »
So you would recommend building my own compost/manure bins as the LA sell compost bins from £5 each (I think the most expensive is £15) and I was going to order one of those.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Another Newby needs help
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 13:01 »
Yes, last year was my first and I have 2 wooden made bins and 2 plastic ones from the council (they are free in this area, limited for each household) but you need lots of manure / compost and you cannot get very much in the plastic ones.

fluffypebble

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 13:53 »
Thanks Paul, will do both then.

Sorry Milkman I missed your message, I must have posted just after you.  What ways do you mulch the soil to help it retain water? (This is probably a really basic question but I have no idea)

muntjac

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 19:59 »
plenty of manure and compost will do it also when you could your lawn use the clipings on raspberry canes ,you can also lay straw down ,mulching just prevents the sun from heating the soil up around your plants and then the moisture escapes

fluffypebble

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 12:49 »
Thanks for that.

I have now found the site, passed it on Tues but thought it was a small paddock as there is nothing in it at all.  No boundary fences, markers - anything.

It is accesible by car and there is a small car park (of sorts) and it is totally fenced off.  How do you know where your plot ends and your neighbours begins?

noshed

Another Newby needs help
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 21:34 »
The site sec should tell you or it should be marked out with pegs. If not, as on our site, you grab what you can!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Another newby!

Started by Mintymonkeylover on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 24, 2006, 00:21
by Oliver
xx
Newby

Started by Charlie on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2006, 09:31
by John
xx
hi newby whats this

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 19:07
by tooo many seeds
xx
Guess what, another newby looking for a little help! :)

Started by happyhippy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 12:27
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 37 queries.