My Broody Maran- Help please!!

• 6 Replies

markt

My Broody Maran- Help please!!
« on: September 20, 2009, 20:38 »
I only have 3 chickens but two of them have gone broody, a maran and a peking. I have tried placing them into a box and covering it for 24 hours to put them in complete darkness :(, (apparently they are supposed to forget) this did work for the peking and she was ok for a while. However, she has gone broody again. The Maran has been broody for the best part of three months!! I have tried her in the darkness box and also a full wired cage (another piece of advice) but nothing has worked. One of our friends said 'Leave her' and she will get bored, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any advice please!!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: My Broody Maran- Help please!!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 20:40 »
Welcome to the forums Markt  :D

I'll move your post over to Hen House, but feel free to pop back into the Welcome forums to introduce yourself (and the chooks)  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Vember

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 20:46 »
Hi Markt

Wow 3 months  :ohmy: Only other thing I have heard can stop a hen being broody is to pop her rear and tummy into some very cold water  :ohmy: Don't think I'd ever actually go that far myself :)

I have had a Barnevelder that seems to have been broody all of the last two months apart from a short spell she is now moulting and is having a very harsh moult (she looks oven ready  :ohmy:)

If it were me I would leave her she'll be off soon now it's getting darker :)

Just make sure she has no creepy crawlies on her and get her off at least twice a day for food, water and t'other :)

Welcome to the Hen House by the way :D

Sarah :)

poppies

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 21:00 »
Hi we have  had a hybrid like that she just sat and sat wouldnt come out for food we had to lift her out, we put her on her own with some eggs but she seemed to panic and would'nt settle so put her back and she still carried on, in the end we were told to pop her in some cold water -  did'nt like doing it, and had to do it twice  but this morning she came out on her own for food, and has'nt been in the house today,  it might have been coincidence but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind

markt

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 21:07 »
Thanks Sara,
At this moment in time I'm nearly at the point where I will try anything!! I guess with the nights drawing in perhaps I could leave her. She is basically bald underneath.
We are fairly new to the chicken keeping scene. Having read some of the pother posts, I'm not sure we are feeding ours correctly. I have mixed corn in a feeder permanently with layer pellets put out in a bowl everyday and occasionally some sunflower seeds as a treat. We also boil up any leftover veg from teatime now and again. Would you say thats ok?

markt

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 21:08 »
Hi Poppies,
It seems the cold water treatment seems the way forward.
I'll try her in the morning!
Thanks very much

Vember

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 21:10 »
I'd get rid of the corn Markt, leave pellets down for them all day and give a small handful of corn in the evening as a treat :)

If possible knock all treats on the head for a week or two and see if this improves things :)

Also make sure they have a dish of oyster shell & grit down at all times :)

Sarah :)

xx
Broody Maran

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 09:57
by joyfull
xx
maran gone broody!

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 08:34
by Poolfield2
xx
My 6yr old wants to show off his maran.....

Started by alaj on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2011, 18:49
by alaj
xx
maran query

Started by grinling on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 21:59
by grinling

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 36 queries.