Splayed legs (Rickets)

• 13 Replies

Happy Hens

Splayed legs (Rickets)
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:34 »
Hi, 
 Does or has anyone had or corrected this problem in chicks. I've read the book Incubation-A Guide to Hatching and Rearing by Katie Thear and it tells you that this could mean the breast bone is twisted and could be caused by a shortage of vitamin B due to the parents diet. I got the eggs from Ebay so do not own the parents.

I have a newly hatch chick with this problem. It is alittle frighter and wants to live. I have put a small rubber band around the top of its legs to help bring them into line and attached it to one around the tummy to help keep it on but its not doing the job. Would it be kinder to put it down. Has anyone ever had a chick survive from this condition.
Thanks  :)
Happy Hens Make Garden Friends

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Splayed legs (Rickets)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:52 »
Hello! yes i had a brahma baby that hatched early last week and it had both legs out to the side! i popped a small elastic band with a knot in the middle on its legs (so the feet were held together in line with its hips) the band sits half way between the ankle and the hock! it took my chick a couple of days of flapping around but i took the band off yesterday and now i cant tell which chick it was as all are running around fine! make sure its a yellw elastic band and not red as the other chicks will keep pecking at a red one!
hope this helps

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poppies

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:03 »
hi as Debbie has said an elastic band should do the trick - I would take the one off its tummy,  the chick has probably got dislocated hips, have you got them on a shiny surface ie newspaper, I put kitchen roll or an old  towel  down for the first few day's to give them some grip, it is completly cureable as long as the band is left on untill you can see that the chick is walking ok

Happy Hens

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:09 »
Hi and thanks Debbie, Do you mean like a hand cuffs ?

Hello! yes i had a brahma baby that hatched early last week and it had both legs out to the side! i popped a small elastic band with a knot in the middle on its legs (so the feet were held together in line with its hips) the band sits half way between the ankle and the hock! it took my chick a couple of days of flapping around but i took the band off yesterday and now i cant tell which chick it was as all are running around fine! make sure its a yellw elastic band and not red as the other chicks will keep pecking at a red one!
hope this helps

Debbie

Happy Hens

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 12:32 »

hi and thanks for the advice. I have now put the band on. it seems to hold the legs in place better then the way I had it but the chick just keeps falling over as I stand him up and ending up on his back. His on old tea towel which is helping.  :)

hi as Debbie has said an elastic band should do the trick - I would take the one off its tummy,  the chick has probably got dislocated hips, have you got them on a shiny surface ie newspaper, I put kitchen roll or an old  towel  down for the first few day's to give them some grip, it is completly cureable as long as the band is left on untill you can see that the chick is walking ok

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 15:10 »
I have had this with a quail chick :( . . . . I put a piece of plaster (band aid type stuff) round both legs like handcuffs and left an appropriate length between his legs....

If its too short they cant get their balance.....

He took a couple of days of being propped up for me to get the length correct but now the only difference is that he hasnt got a rear toe....  :( :(

I was taking off one of the plasters and his little toe got in the way and was snipped off with my sharp scissors :( :(  But he is fine now :) :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Happy Hens

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15 »
Well chookiechook so you have a toeless chick running round. I'm sure it was happy to lose a toe to live. Thanks Haley

Happy Hens

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:19 »
I have now got two bands on the little thing. One between the top just above the knees and the other on the lower part of leg, looks like handcuffs but I'm still having to pop him up all the time. He will drink when I hold himin my hand. But I'm still not sure. :unsure:

poppies

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 13:15 »
Hi he should have been able to stand reasonably well as soon as you put the bands on, I would give it a day or two and if no better you may have to think about culling him, I know it's a horrible thing but if he cant drink without being propped up its not really fair, at least you, have tried a lot of people just cull them as  soon as  they see this problem

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 20:59 »
Maybe try the bands a little looser as he may need to be able to splay his feet a little to stand..... this was certainly my experience :)

My quail spraddler could not stand at all if the bands drew his legs into the 'proper' position, but a little wider than normal and he was fine :)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 21:06 »
I needed to experiment untill my little could stand properly! i used the smallest elastic band i could find and tied 1 knot in the middle! i di have to keep an eye on it at first cause it kept ending up on its back!  :nowink: but as i said earlier i now dont know which one it was!

Debbie

Happy Hens

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 08:17 »
Hi and thanks for all the help. The little guinea fowl did manage to stand and walk about but he was to weak to carry on by this point and sadly past away the next day  :( which was such a shame as he really put up a fright to live. But if it happens again I'll be able to do something about it stright away. Thanks for all the help Haley :)

iwantanallotment

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 08:40 »
So sorry to hear that Haley, bless him  :(
You did all you could and gave him a chance, so try not to feel too bad.

kazzer

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 21:04 »
I know its abit late now,  I used pipe cleaners chick was soon up and walking.

xx
chick with splayed legs

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 18:45
by Foxy
xx
Chick with splayed (spraddled) legs

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 18:43
by Helenaj
xx
My chickens are getting splayed legs and dying!!

Started by Richard Boomer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 16:32
by Spana
xx
new chicks have splayed legs whats the cause?

Started by sioux57 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 16:18
by joyfull

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 28 queries.