Fibre pots and mould

• 15 Replies

Sunny

Fibre pots and mould
« on: May 03, 2007, 21:35 »
Hi, can anyone tell me why my fibre pots are going mouldy, I've tried everything from letting them dry out, only watering from underneath then only on top.  Whichever way I do it they still seem to suffer.  For some reason the pots with the courgettes and butternut squash are the most badly affected so much so that I tore the fibre pot off and repotted some in plastic pots.  Was a bit worried when I saw yellow mould covering the soil on the inside of the pot.  Will this affect the plant, they still seem to be growing ok.   :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 21:53 »
Hi and how old are your fibre pots ? you can get something called cheshunt compound which prevents moulds growing on plants and soil but it's not organic if that's an issue.
Mould spores are in the air all the time so it's difficult to pinpoint what cause it to start usually it something like to much water to high humidity etc but sometimes it can be lack of flow of air around the plants/pots. If everthings growing well then it may not be to much of a problem.
 :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Sunny

Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 22:02 »
Thanks for the "Welcome" and a quick reply, but to answer your question they are new from Wilkos and I am trying to be organic.  The pots have been in a plastic greenhouse both indoors and out for the last month but put it out now and hoping for the best.  Not sure if I should take the pots off incase the mould affects the plant or just plant them in the ground as they are.  Was thinking of planting them out this weekend, but as this is all new to me not sure about that.  Even after loads of reading still feeling lost on my new allotment! :roll:

WG.

Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 22:11 »
Hi Sunny and welcome.  Maybe you could include "organic" or words to that effect in your signature so that folks know.

If you are planting out at the weekend, I reckon the mould problem can be ignored.  Personally I use plastic pots so can't offer help beyond that.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 22:12 »
I have used fibre pots but like you ,there have been strange growths appearing and the same when I have tried cardboard tubes, I reckon its down to the wood/paper origin , fungus spores ! you dont get this with plastic . As long as the plant is healthy its OK to plant it all in the ground .

Welcome Sunny and Good Luck enjoy the challenge gardening brings.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 22:13 »
To be honest sunny I'd hang on putting them out last night we had or was very near to having a touch of frost, it was bloomin cold when I got up. If you get worried then take em out when you plant to give you piece of mind,  once the plants are out the mould may just die as the conditions will change.

Don't get to disheartened with your plot it will all come together in the end, being organic is certainly the harder route. Take your time and clear whats manageable, say a third for this year depending how big the plot is. You can just cover or mow the rest to keep it tidy, mowing kills a lot of weeds over time esp if you keep em really short. Just started reading a great book today called " the half hour allotment" really worth a look at, borrow it from your local library if they haven't got it ask em to do a request.

Good luck and keep us posted.

sclarke624

Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 22:19 »
Hiya Sunny and welcome .............I have used fibre pots and they too went all mouldy.  Used the last ones up don't think I will get them again.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

leeky

Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 00:44 »
another one here that wont use the cardboard/fibre pots again. mould all over and they aren't very big. i had leeks in these and also plastic pots. although i have transplanted them all into plastic now the ones that were in the cardboard still need to catch up to the ones that were in plastic pots. seems better to just put everything in a 3 inch plastic pot to start with. reusable then too. :?

Lily

Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 07:37 »
And I thought I had done something wrong! I had to repot everything as I did not know if it was safe or not to plant the lot!
Do not underestimate the therapeutic values of weeding!
1 dog, 2 children, 3 good reasons not to spread poison!

newbiegrower

Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 09:01 »
I am using empty toilet rolls for my runner beans and fibre pots from wilkos for the peas and both have got the same problem as you but as soon as I took the plastic bags which where makeshift greenhouses of them the problem doesn't seem so bad now.

Hannah
by the time i am old and grey i might be 100% organic

Sunny

Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 12:31 »
Thanks everyone, I'm so glad to hear that others have had the same prob and I'm gona stick to plastic from now on.  :D   As for planting out my cougettes and squash this weekend, would they be ok if I put cloches over them?

WG.

Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 12:34 »
Quote from: "Sunny"
if I put cloches over them?
Way to go Sunny

Smudge

book and pots
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 13:00 »
Just started reading a great book today called " the half hour allotment" really worth a look at.
I own this book and agree  it is definatly worth alook.
(even though im always there for hours...)
I dont use these fibre pots any more, i just re-use all my plastic ones year after year, the mould was just too much!
Keep your mind sharp, but your hoe sharper.

Oscar Too

Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 13:06 »
I've never been taken with fibre pots - if they don't go mouldy or disintegrate, then they don't allow the roots through.  I've not had great results with them.

To have to adjust your watering regime to suit your pot, not your plant, seems a bit daft, really.

The remaining pots that we have will be quietly composted.

Boothy

• Experienced Member
Fibre pots and mould
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 13:26 »
my fibre/peat pots have gone mouldy too - won't be bothering with them again
Total beginner - please bear with me if I ask daft questions!!

xx
Fibre pots

Started by newseed on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 14:26
by newseed
xx
fibre pots

Started by CARROTTCRUNCHER on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 13:25
by CARROTTCRUNCHER
xx
Fibre peat pots

Started by Scullion on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 19:52
by Scullion
xx
not impressed with fibre pots

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 09:44
by charley1980

Page created in 2.02 seconds with 28 queries.