Cucumbers

• 11 Replies

Derek

Cucumbers
« on: May 05, 2007, 07:31 »
This is my first year for growing cucumbers.
On the main stem small cucumbers are growing
do I rub them off?
Also any more tips on growing cucumbers.
Thank you

leeky

Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 14:26 »
mrs came home with 1 cuke plant the other day. i have no idea what to do either.  only a vague idea that a few are needed to pollenate them maybe?

i'll take a seat  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cucumbers
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 17:16 »
No take off the male flowers you don't want them pollinated, they'll get fat and seedy

leeky

Cucumbers
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 19:10 »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cucumbers
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 19:21 »
Well I never let my cucumbers do naughty things in the greenhouse while I'm not looking  :roll:

Cucumbers - bottom of page

shaun

Cucumbers
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 19:45 »
so how can you tell the difference between a male flower and a female flower  :?:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

sclarke624

Cucumbers
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 20:19 »
Also my first year of growing most veg, in particular cucumber.  Here's what I have discovered:
OUTDOOR CUCUMBER
as per Dr. D.G.Hessayon book Fertilization is essential NEVER remove the male flowers.
Pinch out the growing tip when the plants have developed 6 or 7 leaves.  Side shoots will then develop. Any shoots not bearing flowers should be pinched out at the 7th leaf (not sure what that means and how you distinguish side shoot from main stem, as mine all look smae to me).
Once the fruits have started to swell feed with liquid tomato fertilizer.

I have marketmore on the go at the mo'.  Book more  up to date than the older one as printed/updated 2006.

INDOOR CUCUMBER/GREENHOUSE
Remove all male flowers from Ordinary varieties - fertilized fruit is bitter.
Feed as outdoor.
Ordinary varieties = telegraph, Butchers disease resisting, and conqueror.
All female varieties include pepinex, topsy, petita, birgit, euphya and femspot (I say nothing about that name except gee)

If you want a list of outdoor ones I can give it to you I won't bore you with it now.
I have also found out let water from tap stand over night before using on cucumbers because they don't like the chlorine in water and think it helps to just water the soil not the foilage.

I seem to have done something right anyways I have one small itsy bitsy cucumber growing.  One plant withered and died completely, dunno why. Four others flowering and looking healthy although smaller.  Didn't put them outside until they were about 8" high and am very south.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cucumbers
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 20:26 »
Brilliant post Sheila  :D

I'm growing 'Mini Munch' this year, an indoor variety.  I have 3 nice plants left over and if anyone can suggest how to post them, I'd be happy to give them away   :?

Trillium

Cucumbers
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 21:15 »
Other than the one year I didn't start any cukes and had to buy ready plants and ended up with all male plants  :lol: I just let my cukes do their own thing. If there seems to be too many male plants, I take out the excess, but I never clip their wings and get good pollination all season (for outdoor cukes, that is). Only thing with cukes is that they're water hogs, they need lots or they get bitter and/or shrivel a bit inside and the skins are thicker. I give mine a compost mulch and water often, and I can supply the neighbourhood with killer-sized cukes. I don't clip the end tips off either and when other leaves die from frost, I'll still find young cukes growing under the debris.  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Cucumbers
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 21:54 »
I grew Tasty Burpless green last year and Country Fair.  I read that one of htem was supposed to be all female so you didn't have to remove the male flowers, but the one I thought was supposed to be all female grew male flowers and vice versa!!!Country Fair are short fat ones, but I preferred Tasty BG.

The male flower is just a flower with a very skinny flower stalk behind it.  the femal flower has a fat little stalk which is the baby cucumber.  I think the yellow on the male flower is a bit brighter colour than the female too.  Once you see them both together, you'll see the difference easily

Lily

Cucumbers
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 07:32 »
I have tiny lilttle baby cucumbers! I'm growing Passandra and they are supposed to be all female.
I am really pleased as my oldest son eats at least 1 or 2 cucumbers a day! I'm hoping to save money!
Do not underestimate the therapeutic values of weeding!
1 dog, 2 children, 3 good reasons not to spread poison!

Dabhand

Cucumbers
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 01:03 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Brilliant post Sheila  :D

I'm growing 'Mini Munch' this year, an indoor variety.  I have 3 nice plants left over and if anyone can suggest how to post them, I'd be happy to give them away   :?

Depends on how big they are AS.  Could you wrap the soil in a small poly bag and then place them in a margarine tub?  If you can post them I would happily swap for some of my hand made soap.  If you are interested please PM me.  Thanks

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Help on the Cucumbers

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 19:12
by FRUITFULL
xx
new to this( need help with cucumbers please )

Started by nijon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 14:00
by nijon
xx
Cucumbers - will they need help?

Started by thetwinsmum on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 12:19
by thetwinsmum

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 37 queries.