weekly clean out with what?

• 12 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
weekly clean out with what?
« on: September 14, 2009, 13:59 »
Hi,
At the moment Im cleaning the coop out thoroughly every weekend.  For the eradication and prevention of mites would you folks out there recommend Poultry Shield or Diatom or even something else?

Cattin

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: weekly clean out with what?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 16:55 »
If you have mites I would use both, if not I would use Diatom where the hens roost, i'e along perches. As the mites walk through it to get to the hens they get scratched to bits and dehydrate and die.

I got rid of mites with both and now only use diatom and have had no re-infestation.
 :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 17:14 »
i use diatom in the bedding with a little louse powder to keep on top of the bugs, poop scoop the coop daily as it has about 4" of woodshavings all over, makes it easy to keep clean, and spread a little stalosan f in the shavings to help keep the nasty bugs and bacteria away, also occasionally spray with vikron s.

martyn

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 18:57 »
Hi there,
I should have added that I am trying to be as organic as possible - stalosan f sounds a fabulous product but is it full of chemicals?

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 20:54 »
anything that kills modern bugs and bacteria will have some chemical content, but having had to go through the trauma of watching 3 chucks die will illness, i will use it to kill the bugs and try to keep them as healthy as i can.

only thing i can suggest if you want to be organic, is to keep the coop as clean as you can, clean the poop out every day, maybe spread paper under the perch so they poop on the paper and compost it daily.

the cleaner you keep them the better they should be.

martyn

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 21:09 »
Thanks grumpydad,
Im already doing that so sounds like Im on the right tracks which is great.
From what I've read, red mite seem to strike almost everyone at some point even when you think you're keeping the coop really clean...I guess I'll just have to see what happens to a certain extent.

C

susan - happy hens

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 23:04 »
Hi Cattin,  I am interested in the cleaning products mentioned in the replies you got.  I'm trying to be as organic as possible too but found red mites yesterday. I saw your reply to to what I said about creepies on my skin.  Picking up my hens or just being out with them I get itchy too. So I'll let you know how I get on with my routine and look forward to hearing your reports. 

Susan - Happy hens

Spadefighter

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:52 »
I have had them too, burnt the henhouse in the end. Does anyone know whats best to fill joins in the wood with? Im guessing they would get under silicon type seals?

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:17 »
apparently decorators caulk works.

Spadefighter

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 14:01 »
Thanks!

susan - happy hens

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 22:30 »
Hi fellow hen huggers!

Spadefighter do you mean you have had red mites or the invisible creepies on your skin?

Cattin I've asked a few other people I know who keep hens about the invisible critters but so far no luck - I'll keep trying.  In the meantime I'm off to shower again. Good luck.
Susan.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 18:15 »
Hi there...since I've been treating them every 2-3 weeks with the red mite powder (rubbed into the hens feathers directly- not just in the coop) the itching is MUCH better...have you tried this Susan?

Spadefighter

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 08:49 »
Hi there...since I've been treating them every 2-3 weeks with the red mite powder (rubbed into the hens feathers directly- not just in the coop) the itching is MUCH better...have you tried this Susan?

Red mites which havent had feed from a hen are grey-brown, if you are itching its probably tiny brown 'red' mite that havent reached their adult stage. Try flea spray if they are turning up indoors, seems to work.

xx
Big clean out

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 21:02
by yorkshirerose
xx
The Big Clean

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 18:53
by oborne27
xx
Bum not as clean as it should be !

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 13:19
by chasechicken
xx
Keeping run clean

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 17:30
by nicky d

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 27 queries.