Help for Rihanna, ex batt

• 7 Replies

Julie in Somerset

Help for Rihanna, ex batt
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:47 »
Hi everyone, my last BHWT Sept 08 rescue bird has been going downhill for a few weeks. She is trying to grow her new feathers following a moult but is now unable to get up though seems quite happy in the sick bay. I am putting food and water in reach and keeping her other end as clean as I can.

I am giving her olive oil, pro yogurt, honey, cat food, CCF, cooked egg etc but she is only taking a tiny amount. She has been like this for 4 days. She still talks to me and her eyes are bright, nose clear etc. Her poohs are greeny with white/yellow cheesy bits.

I know my vet who knows very little about chickens will put her down but should I give her any longer? OH can do the deed when decision made, thanks

Daucus

Re: Help for Rihanna, ex batt
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 13:10 »
Hi Julie

I can't answer your question unfortunately, but wanted to wish you & your hen well and also if you're not too far here are details of a very good farm vet we use for our chooks:

Tibbs & Simmons
9 Chancellors Pound
The Pound
Redhill
Bristol
Avon
BS40 5TZ
01934 862808

Very experienced with poultry, and very nice people too.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 13:23 »
Thanks Daucus I'll add that name to our list.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 13:26 »
How is her crop Julie ?

WOndered if she might have something caught in it. Is it empty, at least first thing ?

Rob 8)

Julie in Somerset

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 20:27 »
Hi, I have checked her crop if feels completely empty now. She hasn't eaten or drunk anything today.

I have found a different vet in Weston who is recommended on another forum so will take her tomorrow. OH is against this so I hope the vet can diagnose and treat the problem. I know lots of hen keepers locally who find my taking hens to vets very amusing. I wish I had more faith but the 2 I did take did not have their problems diagnosed and they died shortly afterwards.

Will report back tomorrow.

Julie in Somerset

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 20:48 »
Hi, forgot to say the vet I used previously was the Weston branch of Tibbs and Simmons, I think the vet was called Susy. They didn't suggest I take her to Redhill to see a different vet and only offered Baytril on both occassions without a diagnosis.

I agree about using vets but while they are brilliant with domestic animals, hens still seem to fall into livestock most farmers wouldn't call a vet to individual hens.

Julie in Somerset

Re: Help for Rihanna, ex batt update 14/9
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 20:11 »
Hi Visited the new vet this morning, she gave her a thorough examination and said she probably had been laying internally, this affected her internal organs and so she was PTS. She had been out of her cage for 1 year and 1 week.

Bit sad but I would do it again and great to find a chicken vet in Weston s Mare.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 20:24 »
sorry to hear about your hen, but you gave that time to behave like a proper chicken and feel the weather on her, hugs joy xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Ex Batt help

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 09:53
by Flowerpower136
xx
EX Batt not well

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:08
by Aidy
xx
Ex-batt's

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 17:19
by JACDORE
xx
new ex batt hens

Started by gaz.grace on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 19:59
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 37 queries.