Help for Rihanna, ex batt

• 7 Replies

Julie in Somerset

Help for Rihanna, ex batt
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:47 »
Hi everyone, my last BHWT Sept 08 rescue bird has been going downhill for a few weeks. She is trying to grow her new feathers following a moult but is now unable to get up though seems quite happy in the sick bay. I am putting food and water in reach and keeping her other end as clean as I can.

I am giving her olive oil, pro yogurt, honey, cat food, CCF, cooked egg etc but she is only taking a tiny amount. She has been like this for 4 days. She still talks to me and her eyes are bright, nose clear etc. Her poohs are greeny with white/yellow cheesy bits.

I know my vet who knows very little about chickens will put her down but should I give her any longer? OH can do the deed when decision made, thanks

Daucus

Re: Help for Rihanna, ex batt
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 13:10 »
Hi Julie

I can't answer your question unfortunately, but wanted to wish you & your hen well and also if you're not too far here are details of a very good farm vet we use for our chooks:

Tibbs & Simmons
9 Chancellors Pound
The Pound
Redhill
Bristol
Avon
BS40 5TZ
01934 862808

Very experienced with poultry, and very nice people too.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 13:23 »
Thanks Daucus I'll add that name to our list.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 13:26 »
How is her crop Julie ?

WOndered if she might have something caught in it. Is it empty, at least first thing ?

Rob 8)

Julie in Somerset

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 20:27 »
Hi, I have checked her crop if feels completely empty now. She hasn't eaten or drunk anything today.

I have found a different vet in Weston who is recommended on another forum so will take her tomorrow. OH is against this so I hope the vet can diagnose and treat the problem. I know lots of hen keepers locally who find my taking hens to vets very amusing. I wish I had more faith but the 2 I did take did not have their problems diagnosed and they died shortly afterwards.

Will report back tomorrow.

Julie in Somerset

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 20:48 »
Hi, forgot to say the vet I used previously was the Weston branch of Tibbs and Simmons, I think the vet was called Susy. They didn't suggest I take her to Redhill to see a different vet and only offered Baytril on both occassions without a diagnosis.

I agree about using vets but while they are brilliant with domestic animals, hens still seem to fall into livestock most farmers wouldn't call a vet to individual hens.

Julie in Somerset

Re: Help for Rihanna, ex batt update 14/9
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 20:11 »
Hi Visited the new vet this morning, she gave her a thorough examination and said she probably had been laying internally, this affected her internal organs and so she was PTS. She had been out of her cage for 1 year and 1 week.

Bit sad but I would do it again and great to find a chicken vet in Weston s Mare.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 20:24 »
sorry to hear about your hen, but you gave that time to behave like a proper chicken and feel the weather on her, hugs joy xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Ex-batt's

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 17:19
by JACDORE
xx
Ex Batt help

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 09:53
by Flowerpower136
xx
EX Batt not well

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:08
by Aidy
xx
Prolapse ex-batt...what can I do???

Started by Carla on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 15:22
by New shoot

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 29 queries.