new ex batt hens

• 23 Replies

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
new ex batt hens
« on: March 01, 2009, 20:03 »
Hi all ,
                I picked my 3 ex batt hens up today , They where home about a hour and one had laid an egg . As this is my first time with hens i was like wow  :ohmy:  lol.

they did not seem to come out of the shed much which is now theres that was untill it started getting dark they where out and about trying to fly all over (why was this ) . one was looking up at the wall as though she was thinking im off over that when i can so i think it wont belong till there trying to get over the wall , i hope they dont beacause its a walkway with trees on that belongs to the council and out of there is a busy road ... when would any one advise to cut there wings back to prevent that . they seem to be done  for now as they cant really fly .. anyway heres a few picks of them for you to see ..
thanks
SV200583.jpg
SV200581.jpg

karlooben

Re: new ex batt hens
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 20:07 »
well done for getting the ex batts . mine ones havent had thier wings clipped yet i am a bit worried about doing it but i have heard that sometimes it doesnt always work not that i am trying to scare u or anything .
can u not make the wall taller by adding something on top of it , or even place strands of wire along it somehow .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 20:18 »
hi
 i know im a bit worried about doing it myself.. if its a problem i will do something with the wall though ..   :D

cant wait too see if there is any eggs in the morning.

still cant figure out why they came out as soon as it got darker  :wacko:

hope yours are all doing well .  ;) 

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 20:47 »
Instinctively when it becomes dark a chicken will try and find the highest place to roost and feel safe,this is probably why you had this sort of activity. I would imagine that when they know where bed is they will feel less anxious and more secure. Good luck with them and thank you for the pics! :)

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 20:48 »
I clip the odd wing now and again when they get a bit flighty.  Don't forget if you have done it you may have to do again after the molt as the feathers grow back.  I once had an ex-batt who unknown to me, was hopping over the fence, laying then coming back home.  One day I saw her out the bedroom window so knocked on next door to find that she had done about 20 or so eggs under next doors shrub!!  What a waste.  I bought some of that expandable trellis from the pound shop just to make a bit higher and it did the trick.  Even clipped they will find  way or at least have a good go!
mrs.ploppy

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 20:53 »
i am surpised the eggs stayed there that long  but then again i emptied out my compost bins today an found 3 whole eggs that had been in there since november .

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 20:54 »
i am surpised the eggs stayed there that long  but then again i emptied out my compost bins today an found 3 whole eggs that had been in there since november .

yuck!!!!!  :D :D better not get those mixed up looby!

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 21:11 »
I've been waiting to hear about your new batts.  They are lovely girls and I know they will really enjoy life now.  Imagine what must be going through their minds!  Wow!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 21:27 »
so thats why they were out looking up . might not of been the wall may of been the huge tree at the side . ::).

i knw its a shame what they go through all bruised and battered its wrong . It dont half get you angry the way they get treated they deserve better .

well i rescued 3 its not many but it all counts . when i move and i get a bigger garden i will get some more but till then its about all i can have  . I wanted to put them at my allotment but when i asked they said our council dont allow it, so i was gutted about that , never mind though not much i can do . At least here i know they are ok  :)

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS

raeburg

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 21:30 »
They look well for ex-bats.  One of mine is still called oven-ready!  Most are fully feathered now 7 months on and they lay really well - 7 eggs from 8 hens today.  Get some dried mealworms to bribe them with and you'll have devoted friends for life.

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 21:33 »
Oh can i ask question .... the egg we got from one of the hens we boiled it when we took the shell of the egg white was not right all flakey but the yoke was really nice and yellow , is this beacause it was boiled ?? the shell was super fine so im thinking it was because i boiled it .. bit worried eating the 1st egg . Its probly all in the mind you want to know what you eats ok so thats why i boiled it   so i knw it was cooked if you know what i mean ..
it is my first time lol dont laugh

raeburg

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 21:37 »
probably because it was so fresh.  I've found it really difficult to peel the freshest of boiled eggs.  Eggs in the supermarket can be quite old.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 21:41 »
Well done you for rescuing 3 poor little girls.  You'll be surprised how quickly their combs will stand up and go bright red again.  I think they always look so sad when their combs are all pale and droopy!!!! 

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 21:44 »
oven ready but some do dont they . wow so you get some eggs it looks like its meal worm then lol ..

one made me laff today came into the house in the kitchen had a look around then went behind the washer to get stuck . the other to are not so brave but it is there 1st day so i did not even expect them to move really much at all..
They do look well for ex batts, theres a little bit of hair loss but other than that they seem ok . hope they get to full health soon ..  :D

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 21:44 »
I love the way fresh eggs in the frying pan stand so proud.  Not like the crappy shop bought things that are all watery and fill the pan.  If you want to pickle your eggs they will be better after about a week.  Easier to peel as when they are too fresh you can't get the shells off too esy. Top tip.

xx
x batt hens

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 20:34
by NormandyMary
xx
x batt hens

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 15:39
by Aunt Sally
xx
Ex Batt hens or not?

Started by min200 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 15:07
by Flowerpower136
xx
Ex Batt help

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 09:53
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 1.275 seconds with 30 queries.