Sweetest Peas?

• 17 Replies

Zippy

Sweetest Peas?
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:30 »
Our peas were rubbish this year (Meteor), starchy and bitter with mildewy leaves and pods. Even the resown batch later were the same.

For next year I would like a nice sweet prolific climber that is a pleasure to pick and eat - any suggestions please? I have sandy soil which I am slowly building up organically.

Cheers me dears! :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetest Peas?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:51 »
I use Hurst Green Shaft, a traditional but widely-available variety.

Mind you I grow on a heavier soil so don't know if sand will affect cropping.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:52 »
Kelvedon wonder is always a favourite and my main crop, but my own personal sweetest is Stokesley.  They are a heritage pea, so hard to get hold of.

As they were starchy when you picked them, are you sure you dodnt leave them on too long? Even the worst variety should be sweet if picked early enough.  For mildew problems, a spray of milk and water is good
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 13:02 »
I wasn't going to mention Stokesley as you can only get them 30 at a time from the Heritage Seed Library.

However, as Paula has mentioned them, I'll say that I'm growing them and another heritage pea next year, having built the seed up over 3-4 years.

Even the family have commented how sweet they are.

If you belong to the HSL it's worth getting those & doing a bit of seed saving. Sorry - I cannot supply the whole forum membership!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 13:08 »
I cant offer any either, as Im building mine up too. But its a good idea to join HSL if you are a fan of a particular veg.  You can find one just to your taste and suitability.

(PS make sure they are well watered while podding whatever you choose - especially as you have a sandy soil)

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 13:38 »
As they were starchy when you picked them, are you sure you dodnt leave them on too long?

The plants only grew to about 6 inches with one or two pods on the plant with one or two peas in each pod. Plants were weedy and light green with a dry browning (like bruised fruit) on the pods. Pease were bitter tasting and starchy, but not dried like a pea seed - still green.

I thought the variety was wrong for the soil perhaps. Didn't feed the soil beforehand as I thought the pea being a nitrogen fixer wouldn't need a rich soil.  Soil was sandy but with a good thick dressing of rotted compost from last autumn.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 14:39 »
When did you sow them?

Mine go in towards the end of March, mildew is usually a problem for later sown peas. An early sowing also helps avoid pea moth.

Zippy

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 15:11 »
I sowed my first wave around April time and a second lot around August as it has been quite cool and rainy and I thought they would be ok in this cooler weather.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 15:45 »
It's not been cool here the last few days!

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 17:15 »
I have grown Hurst Greenshaft for a few years now and they are lovely and sweet - this year they had a second spurt which gave me some extra peas even though the pods were mildewed. They grow about 4-5ft so need supporting with netting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

pushrod

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 19:02 »
Hi Peapod or DD - so what are the downsides of Stokesley? Does the fact that they are heritage stop the big seed companies getting in on the act?
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 19:54 »
The only drawback is that the plants are quite tall, hence more support needed, but having said that they are very sturdy.

The yield is good too, when I grew some other heritage seed as well as a seed guardian these returned 60 fold as opposed to 40 fold with the other two varieties.

If you do a forum search on "Stokesley" you'll find a few previous postings, plus piccies.

Potiron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 20:30 »
 If you can get them in the UK  :wacko: Do give 'Telephone A Rames' a try . Its the best pea I have ever tasted and freezes ever so well. The only problem with it, it gets a bit tall 5ft +. :)
Ears and Eyes open, Gob shut.

pushrod

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 20:43 »
The only drawback is that the plants are quite tall, hence more support needed, but having said that they are very sturdy.

The yield is good too, when I grew some other heritage seed as well as a seed guardian these returned 60 fold as opposed to 40 fold with the other two varieties.

If you do a forum search on "Stokesley" you'll find a few previous postings, plus piccies.

cheers  :) - Do you know if there is anything legally to stop the big seed merchants adopting this type or is it that they are just not interested?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 20:57 »
I don't know about the legalities, but someone's got to spend a few years and a few acres cultivating seed. That equates to cost.

xx
Peas - which variety is the sweetest?

Started by Middlesexbloke on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 21:20
by 3 allotments
xx
which is the sweetest parsnip?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 20:12
by mumofstig
xx
sweetest carrot

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 01:11
by SUTTY1
xx
sweetest tomato

Started by qwerty565 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 16:20
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.619 seconds with 28 queries.