Can you help me with my poorly girl?

• 22 Replies

Becky C

Re: Can you help me with my poorly girl?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 18:56 »
Ok. Thank you. I understand diagnosis is difficult but all the advice has been very helpful and certainly gives more clues to look for.  I will take her to the vet this week if no improvement.....will give her a few more days of baths and yogurt to see. I dont want to spend the little money we have for numerous tests (because the vets dont know birds) if the outcome still doesnt help her....not that Im being horrible just wasted plenty at the vets with dogs and horses:-) If there was an avian vet locally id be there tomorrow.Hopefully with it becoming more popular avian vets will become more accessible and at a more realistic consultation price!! Thank goodness for the internet!

Becky

poultrygeist

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 19:05 »
I think a couple of stiff drinks, get the rubber gloves on, shut your eyes and do the deed  :blink: :D

At least you'll have a better idea if the problem's 'down below' or elsewhere. Bear in mind, of course, that I've never done it and would be just as hesitant  ::)

Rob 8)

Becky C

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 19:28 »
LOL! Thats always an option!

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 20:19 »
Hi Becky, what a horrible time for you and your poor chicken.  I'm afraid I can't offer any advice myself but do know of a very good poultry vet.  The trouble is she is, 'up north' however,  when we got some turkeys last yr from a breeder in stamford she said she used this vet, who is 2 hrs north of Stamford.  I have used the vet for telephone advice and she will mail out the appropriate treatment.  It may be worth a phone call but as the symptoms are quite varied I don't know how useful it will turn out to be.
It's 'the Retford Poultry Partnership'.  Google it for more details and good luck.  :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Becky C

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 20:25 »
Thankyou so much SMD66!
I will ring them first thing tomorrow! That could be a very handy number indeed! Thank you for your help!

Becky

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 22:41 »
Becky, a lot of chicken problems can be diagnosed with behaviour and symptoms over the phone. If you can manage to get hold of a decent poultry vet and they will ask you the right questions.
Veterinary practices are getting better with chickens as more people are keeping them as pets but it all takes time. The thing that I have found as I am sure a lot of people on this site have is that if you have read up on what it could be and how to treat it the vet will take it seriously. Everytime I've been it's been a dire emergency and they have been great, Nic.

Becky C

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 10:17 »
Thankyou...I dont know why I didnt think of telephone consultations before...I guess I just assumed they wouldnt do anything without seeing the chicken.....

Needless to say I have phoned 'the Retford Poultry Partnership' this morning....they were so so helpful and here is the advice they have given me (incase anyone has a similar problem)....(assuming that chicken might be egg bound)

Buy some calcivet (they will post this out if needed) and syringe as per instructions on bottle.
Lubricate around the vent with vaseline or baby oil (the outside only thankfully!!)
and the put her on a hot water bottle with a towel on top and leave her somewhere quiet.

I offered to pay something  for the phone consultation but she said not to worry....just come back if I need some calcivet or more advice and then they may ask for small fee. Which is absolutely more than reasonable and I am happy to pay for the right advice!

Okay enough waffle....have to hunt down the hot water bottle in the attic!

Thanks all

xx

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 12:45 »
So glad they were able to help.  I hope it fixes the problem.  :)

xx
Poorly Girl...

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 18, 2015, 22:50
by danfinn1
xx
Not sure if my girl is poorly or not

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 14:53
by Maccbean
xx
My first poorly girl

Started by pinkladies on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 21:50
by NormandyMary
xx
Poorly old girl

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 21:54
by nicchick

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 30 queries.