Poorly old girl

• 11 Replies

nicchick

• Experienced Member
Poorly old girl
« on: March 17, 2009, 20:51 »
Hi, can anyone help me with my mates old ex-bat. I say old, we think she's 4+.
I'm looking after her as he found her in the middle of his run yesterday just hunched up and the cockerel left her alone. I had a feel and she is very swollen round her back end, I gave her a bath and she was covered in lice - her backside was encrusted with eggs.
He doesn't handle his birds as much as we do and he was unaware there was a problem.
She has had a baytril jab and some steroids along with a drop of something for the lice and is looking happier. What else can I do? I have crushed up some calcium tablets as 2 of our ex-bats are having problems with shells while they are feathering up and have sprinkled some of this on her food. Yesterday she could just manage sugary water, but today she has eaten loads of pellets, chickcrumbs, bioyoghurt and some sweetcorn and her crop was nice and full tonight.

karlooben

Re: Poorly old girl
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 20:56 »
i would just keep on with the t.l.c seems like its working  :D ethier that or u have that magical touch as they say.

someone esle should be along soon to give u all the advice u need . good luck with her  :)
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vember

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 21:31 »
I agree with Looby keep up the TLC:)

I would imagine they all need treating for lice, they can cause hens to stop laying if it's a really bad infestation :(

Sarah :)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 21:47 »
I told him about it straight away and found him scrubbing the hen house out and a big tin of louse powder to sprinkle round.
He means well and gets these ex-bats and has got a massive fox-proofish run - but no roof and pheasants are in and out.
The trouble with chickens is you need to see things to recognize them - he jokes that ours are mothercare chickens. I know he has lost a few and sees it as just one of those things, the fact that this one is one of his original and I suspect one of his favourites has made him realize how destructive parasites can be.
I just hope I can help this hen, she was preening this afternoon which gave me some hope and scoffed a lot of sweetcorn. Nic.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 22:04 »
Fingers crossed, good job you were around nicchick! :)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 11:31 »
Thanks everyone. I phoned the vets this morning and a really good poultry vet was on duty so I took her in. She had a really big tumor and the vet said even with treatment she would only last a few more weeks so I had her put to sleep. Nic.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:17 »
Nic, at least you made her comfortable in the last few days.  I am sure she was never spoiled so much in her whole life, bless her - and bless you too!  You were wonderful to her and I think it is great that you took her in like that and took such very good care of her!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Hawkins

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:18 »
Oh nick and after all your hard work, such a shame. At least she had good inings.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 18:36 »
u did your best and at least u had the sense to contact a vet theres  a lot of ppl that would not even think about that especailly nowadays  :D well done .

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 19:53 »
Thanks everyone. I had really hoped she was just eggbound and would recover with a bit of peace and quiet. I had told my mate that they get things like tumours and there is nothing you can do - they are bred to live short lives.
Actually he has surprised me with learning a bit more about chickens and he has made them the most lovely, huge secure run. I think he is a bit of a softy about them really. He likes to watch the improvement in the ex-bats when they have their freedom.

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 21:20 »
Thats good news, just giving someone a little encouragement goes a long way! :D

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 21:54 »
You are so right, I had a good chat with him about flubenvet and he is keen to do his at the same time as we do ours.
The trouble I find is out of date information and traditional techniques. Onwards and upwards, he is doing a great thing and doesn't even worry if they lay as long as they live a nice life. Nic.

xx
Poorly girl

Started by Andrew4613 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 08:22
by Andrew4613
xx
poorly girl.

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 18:23
by New shoot
xx
Poorly old girl

Started by jhub on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 09:46
by ANHBUC
xx
Poorly Girl...

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 18, 2015, 22:50
by danfinn1

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 36 queries.