stress of chicken and dogs

• 27 Replies

Karen 123

Re: stress of chicken and dogs
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 19:07 »
thanks to you all for your replies. I am going to persevere. Our dogs were here 1st so we would never part with them. I really want to keep my chooks so we are about to sort out a big run for them and hopefully we can all live in peace and harmony!! I'll keep you posted.........

Rubellite

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 22:48 »
Well done, you and good luck!  ;)

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 22:59 »
hi there!  ive got a jack russell who has only just stopped quivering and salivating on the other side of the hen pen after 3 months!  She hardly notices them now unless they flap suddenly (and the hens couldnt care less about her after initially being very alarmed by her), i know that she would kill them in a flash given half the chance, which makes it difficult to let them free range in the garden as i am always worried someone will forget and let her out.  i am trying to work out how i can section off part of my garden so that the dog can be out there at the same time. Yestareday after the hens were back in their runs she was ages in the garden and came back in all pleased with herself coated in hen pooh and she rolled on the carpet with it too!! the delights of pets!

iwantanallotment

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 23:22 »
My Mom's dog loves to roll in rabbit poo too, lucylou. They must love the scent of it?  :blink:

I have a dog too who would kill the hens in a flash. To combat that and so that dogs & hens have equal access to the garden, I've just sectioned off the top part of it. Dogs & veg have bottom half, hens have top half with their coop in & plenty of room to roam & explore.
Fencing between the two is very sturdy.
Touchwood, working perfectly so far. IF the daft hens don't escape on a death wish again, but hopefully we've remedied that.
Glad to hear you're persevering Karen, all the best  :)

too many girls

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 23:28 »
you think you've got it bad? my greyhound Casper likes to roll in Billy goat pooh, now that does stink ::)

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 23:45 »
I fully agree with the effectiveness of a water bottle to squirt the dog .  We have a large, boisterous Anatolian Shepherd and this treatment was recommended by a local RSPCA dog behaviour expert.  It seems to work miraculously for any unwanted behaviour and we now only have to show the dog the bottle to make him modify his behaviour. 

Hope it works for you too.
John

iwantanallotment

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 00:58 »
It does sound a great remedy, and we all know dogs hate being squirted - but not really practical if hens and dogs are to live together without supervision at any point.

A friend of mine recently lost all his ducks and hens to an alsatian pup that he'd sat with day after day, until he reached a point where he believed the dog could be totally trusted and left them unsupervised for an hour.

The dog took the lot.

Dogs aren't daft - if you aren't there, neither is the squirter!

Please be careful  ;)

I always go by my dogs' initial expression/reaction on seeing the newcomers. That will reliably tell you what to expect, and no training will ever detract them from that initial reaction if you're not there 24/24.

If the slightest, slightest doubt, total segregation would be my choice every time. It's failsafe, and leaves no chance to animal instinct.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:15 by iwantanallotment »

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 08:38 »
Our Pup Jasmine is 10 months old now she is an Akita x Alsation the chickens were here before her, she started with wanting to chase them and nip them (when she was tiny) but with a strong hand and 'Sage' (the Godfather') of my Mafia girls giving her a swift peck on the head a few times she settled down with them really well- I always supervise my dogs (I have a twelve year old jack but he is always ok with other animals as he would rather go the other way) but all is harmony now!  :tongue2:

We even had the little Rosecombs free ranging last week and a Sparrow Hawk decided she would take a pop at one of the little hens ..... the three Rosecombs darted under Jasmines belly! the Sparrow Hawk soon put it breaks on and made a quick retreat! it is very worrying now though! the thing must have been very breave as we were sitting in the garden aswell!!

Hope all sorts its self out for you!  :) Trina
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

Karen 123

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 09:52 »
thanks for all the suggestins and support guys!!! Much appreciated!!! :)

I agree that the water squirter if effective but I know I need to allocate them their own run. It is exactly as someone mentioned, the worry of another family member letting dogs out when chooks are running free (this happened and caused my 21 year old son mass panic when in an effort to escape, lula flew over the fence to a neighbours garden!)

I was getting really upset at the prospect of possibly re-homing my girls! As you guys all know (but other people doubt) there is a bond between chooks and owners....they all have their own wee personalities. I'm keeping them. Just need to get the run sorted. Other DIY-minded son going to do the business (husband DIY phobic). I'll be the labourer. I need to read up a bit on suitable materials.

Thank you all again!

Karen  ;)

Jeanette

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 13:22 »
The chickens solved the problem of the dogs not getting on with them. One day i had a chicken on my lap and my 2 west highland terriers came to have a look the chicken
 (Judy) streched out her neck and gave both dogs a little peck since then the 2 dogs give the chickens as much room as they want  :D Both of the dogs dont realise that they are terriers and are now quite nervous of the chickens even though the chickens never hurt them it is really quite funny to see. :)

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 09:55 »
i have a stafford and patterdale terrier who always stit at the fence watching the chooks and i have always thought they would attack well the pther day i was on the loo and heard the gate to the chooks open so rushed out both dogs in ther with them and................. nothing they were more intrested in there food and sniffing around i'm not saying i would let them run together as the patterdale is a ratter and normally goes for andything but i will not worry as much anymore i think they have just accepted they are part of the family!!!!!

dianemk73

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 13:17 »
Be careful, my long haired weimeraner has killed two of my chicks that escaped out of their pen. This proves that not all dogs will not tolerate chickens especially gun dogs

too many girls

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 13:57 »
Casper always ignored the chickens until one tried to peck at the bone he was eating, she lost her head, now we always make sure that Casper has no bones or snacks when the chickens are out.

xx
Dogs eating chicken poo

Started by robbiechick on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 22:57
by wildwitchy
xx
OT - dogs and chicken bones

Started by dawnsmith on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 11:50
by skywalker
xx
Stress

Started by bacchus51 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 16:59
by jinty1911
xx
Stress & egg laying

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 22:48
by andreadon

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 28 queries.