Bob and Violet!

• 6 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Bob and Violet!
« on: August 03, 2009, 13:12 »
my 2 little cayugas will be 2 weeks old tomorrow! they love their little dips and actually stand on tippy toes and call out to me when it is swim time. the only thing is i thought that the more times (only once a day) they went in water the more they preen and so the more waterproof they get?  ??? my 2 seem to be getting less waterproof? they just stand in the water and dunk and have fun but their fluff is soaked not water repelent like when they were younger  :unsure: am i giving them to many swim times?( once a day at the moment) My muscovies didint have this problem and they are supposed to have less developed oil glands than all ducks.
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foxy

Re: Bob and Violet!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 18:19 »
I am not sure, mine always preen a lot but aren't waterproof until they are fully feathered, at about 6 weeks,I dont tend to let them do too much other than but paddle in shallow water till about 3 weeks old, if they had a duck mum then I would give them more access to water. Not much help really Sarah or Kate I am sure will be along shortly :)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 22:44 »
Thanks Foxy! i have been looking at other videos of ducklings swimming and they look just as wet as my 2 so feel bit better now! We also put the big muck mucks away for a bit and as it was a sunny warm day took bob and vi outside to see the pond where they will be living soon! we made it so there is a little shallow area so they can get in and out easily and as soon as i popped them on the grass they ran for the shallows had a little drink they ran in for a swim! even went in the really deep bit and they were fine bobbing around they loved it!   :lol: only gave them a few mins though and they were most upset when i hoicked them out!  :lol:

Debbie

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 22:53 »
Hi, we just had mallards and paintrays were great for them for ages. When they all went in at once it was very deep! When they got bigger the bath was great with towels banked up at one end. Whatever it's going to be messy! Nic.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 22:59 »

:lol: my 2 started in the bathroom sink and now they have a washing up bowl in doors  but i think now they have seen the pond they will probably turn their bills up at that now!  :nowink:

Debbie

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:55 »
debbie think we are due some photo hmmmmm....... :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 08:24 »
debbie think we are due some photo hmmmmm....... :D
:blush: um,,,,!  ??? photos as soon as i can locate my cable for my phone!!  :blush: have taken lots of good ones just cant get them onto the computer!  ::)

Debbie

xx
Um, gentian violet - does it ever come off?

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 23:24
by henamoured
xx
Is Violet....Victor!?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

50 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 11:00
by mickwood
xx
Gentian Violet - Purple spray

Started by Spacey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 09:05
by Debz
xx
Ukadex / Gentium Violet - dosage question ?

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 09:44
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 1.113 seconds with 28 queries.