• 238 Replies

kitch

Re: Potato Results - 2009
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2009, 17:31 »
Maris Bard luvly

outmowed

« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2009, 19:54 »
My first year growing, not too bad, over all im very happy.

Arron pilot, first early----Good yeild, no slug holes.

Desiree, main----Good yeild, lots of scab and slug holes, some whoppers.

Kanute

« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2009, 23:14 »
This years crop nearly all in.  Few of all varieties with slug damage, but light.  Main problem was 2 rabbits with get into my plot from somewhere? check everyday but still no clue - they like Desiree, lost about 10 to them.  They are almost all up now so won't loose many more!

Charlotte - large crop, fantastic earlies and when left, a good roaster
Premier - large crop, best when left to grow, a very good long
Desiree - best crop ever, despite the rabbits, large tubers and alot of them

Not only the best potato year but the best veg year in 10.
"Things" are the theives of time.

Greasehog

« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2009, 18:02 »
I had a dismal result for my spuds this year...
First earlies Home guard where quite good but the main crop Desiree were riddled with millepedes and scab...
Every gardener needs a good hoe'

Livifisherman

« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2009, 19:50 »
I planted Accent (first early) in large pots and left them until recently.  I have only dug up a few but they were very large (baking sized) and very tasty.  They did much better than Duke of York planted at the same time.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2009, 19:27 »
How about a poll for the best voted potatoe??????

I vote for Wilja !!!!!!
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2009, 21:36 »
Hi everyone call me mad coz I must be no one else on the allotment I belong to has grown or ever grown these.  I  took over the allotment at in the middle of August and as clearing it I saw an advert in one of the gardening mags. for new pots for Christmas.  I purchesed them and very quickly cleared a site for planting.  The green shoots have been coming up and I have covered them in earth 3 times.  The potatoe is called Bambino.  I am a complete novice and have never grown anthing apart from flowers before.  So I will let you all no how it goes! Wish me luck I think I will need it.

soya-bean

« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2009, 16:11 »
I grew some Nicolas as early mains - great crop with some quite big spuds.  I also grew Cara mains - very good crop that should keep us gong through the winter.  A number of other plot holders said that their results were quite poor, though.
Pause, be still and observe the world with all your senses - you will gain much!

carrotlovers

« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2009, 17:09 »
Just got the last of my spuds in today. First earlies (Red Duke of York) were good, with some nice size ones. Main crop (Desiree) was also good, with some whoppers being dug up. Lucky really, as this is the second year our site has suffered from bad blight (Tomatoes mainly go first, but a lot of people, including me, lost a lot of spuds last year. Managed to avoide it this yea, although not sure how..... :unsure:)
So much to grow, so little room....

new_2_veg

« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2009, 11:00 »
i grew desiree potatoes for main crop this year and had a big mix of sezes and output from each plant, some slug dammage.

maris bard earlys, where fine for a start but soon got slug dammage shame as they where good size

i done kesteral last year with no probs at all and regret not doing them this year,.

think from now on i will look into it a bit more and listen to what people say.
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

jaycee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2009, 11:16 »
I grew AURA from micro plants this year. Amazing that these tiny micro plants produced such a wonderful healthy crop. Can thoroughly recommend bought from Alan Romans

Paul Plots

« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2009, 19:08 »
I grew AURA from micro plants this year. Amazing that these tiny micro plants produced such a wonderful healthy crop. Can thoroughly recommend bought from Alan Romans

I've not heard of potato micro plants. What are they and what is the advantage over growing from tubers in the normal way?

Dear I expect?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2009, 09:38 »
Bit late I know, been busy with other things of late  ;) anyways here is my spud results from tropical (not tundra as some will have you believe) Blackpool.

Earlies
International Kidney= ok yeild no slug damage
Home Guard= As above
Pentland Javlin= Good yeild, no slug damage and still the favourite in my blind tastings down the street.

Mains
Piccaso= very good yeild of good size baking souds and excellent taste
Cara= good yeild with a little damage and not quite as nice tasting as above
Romano= good yeild, no damage.This is our fave all round spud

I tried a couple of different earlies this year as I have grown PJ for many a year, out of 5 households only one person prefered Home Guard to the others, everyone else went for PJ. On the main crop we wanted to increase our baked spud intake so was recommended cara and piccaso, piccaso just about won on both yeild and taste. So next year its PJ, Ramano and Piccaso for us.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2009, 00:31 »
Like all recent posters I'm thinking about next year.  Got wiped out by blight last year on an ambitious purchase of Pink Fir Apple purchased from Scotland but did manage a few Arran Pillots this year.  Most were in grow bags in the green house and yields were disappointing especially as I spent a fortune on potato compost.  The best results were the few extras that I planted outside.  However they didn't seem to have that lovely earthy taste of new potatoes that I  remember from (too) long ago - perhaps it is just nostalgia! I do wonder how much is to do with the soil composition and how much with the variety?  Do any of you superbrains out there have any evidence (or theories) on this?

Looks as is Charlottes are a good early crop.  Blight seems particularly rampant here in Devon so I am avaoiding any of the later varieties. Will let you know next summer how they do, but no more potato barrels for me.

John

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2009, 07:23 »
For those of you bothered about blight, this post is worth a repeat:

As you may be aware from another thread, I found some wizened left over seed spuds in the shed, which I recently planted. From the state of them I couldn't tell what varieties they were, just one or two of any sort I planted.

As expected, some have succumbed to blight, (6 of the 8 ) - but it's interesting to note the difference between them and the now identifiable Sarpo Mira.

A. N. Other

Sarpo Mira

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Potato Results 2010

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

178 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 11:45
by cornykev
xx
My First Crop of 2009

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 23:20
by poultrygeist
xx
Plans for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 17:15
by digital_biscuit
xx
supplies for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:21
by garddwr

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 28 queries.