Potato Results - 2009

• 238 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Potato Results - 2009
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2009, 21:35 »

Wow I have a mod and an admin having a go and only after 2 posts, hello and welcome springs to mind.

Guess I will find the inglenook a warmer place to spend my nights from now on.

::)  Don't be so touchy sweetie they're only potatoes ::)  I was just pulling your leg.  You seem very proud of them so it would be nice to know if it was a good return for the crop!

In the end of one of my potato rows I planted 4 pink fir apples and they yielded 10kg of delicious tiny potatoes, now I call that a good return :D

See, Paxo..... as I said, "You are welcome!"  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2009, 21:36 »
hello and welcome springs to mind.

The Welcome forum is the place for that paxo.  Do pop in there and introduce yourself :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=12.0

Go on you know you want to ;)

paxo

« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2009, 16:15 »
Doesn't help judge the yield then, does it?

Ah, now I get it, after reading your blog I assume the allotment version of "keeping up with the jonses" has kicked in DD? At a guess I would say my dogs pen is bigger than your plot DD  :tongue2: I would go as far as to say that I could fit your house in my barn!  :tongue2:

But that's not fair of me. I have a large amount of land that I use to grow my own, self sufficient you see ;)

But never gone to the extent of counting what I grow. I do, however have the luxury to be able to use the 5 year system of rotation (sort of) I have two very large pollys, and two 10x8 green houses ( and a little 8x6 for the wifes flowers )

Good spud harvest though 200kg this years  :unsure:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2009, 16:23 »

... At a guess I would say my dogs pen is bigger than your plot DD  :tongue2: I would go as far as to say that I could fit your house in my barn!  :tongue2:

But that's not fair of me. I have a large amount of land that I use to grow my own, self sufficient you see ;)

But never gone to the extent of counting what I grow. I do, however have the luxury to be able to use the 5 year system of rotation (sort of) I have two very large pollys, and two 10x8 green houses ( and a little 8x6 for the wifes flowers )

No need to get narky paxo, get to know us first before you do that.  Being self sufficient should make you happy I would have thought rather than grumpy.

200 kg means nothing to me without knowing what size of potato plot you have.  It's just showing off !  My 10 kg from 4 pink fir apple spuds is far more impressive  ;)

Yabba

« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2009, 16:29 »
I'm a Jones ... last person who kept up with me ended up as a co-accused :roll:

T'was a great night out though :D

Back on track :

Pentland Javelin, tasted great, got more spuds than I normally do, and I'm cr*p at growing spuds :tongue2:

¥
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 16:31 by Yabba »

paxo

« Reply #215 on: November 04, 2009, 18:25 »

... At a guess I would say my dogs pen is bigger than your plot DD  :tongue2: I would go as far as to say that I could fit your house in my barn!  :tongue2:

No need to get narky paxo, get to know us first before you do that.  Being self sufficient should make you happy I would have thought rather than grumpy.

200 kg means nothing to me without knowing what size of potato plot you have.  It's just showing off !  My 10 kg from 4 pink fir apple spuds is far more impressive  ;)

Not narky sally, you have lost your sense of humor is all.

200kg of fist size Wiljas is impressive, that's 8 25kg  sacks. Thats about 15 to 20 tubers each plant. yes I'm showing off  :tongue2:

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2009, 07:08 »
Newbe here.  There were some potatoes already growing when we acquired our plot, so don't know what they are.  But when we harvested them about 50% had holes through them.  What potatoes should we buy to avoid this next year?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2009, 09:41 »

Not narky sally, you have lost your sense of humor is all.

200kg of fist size Wiljas is impressive, that's 8 25kg  sacks. Thats about 15 to 20 tubers each plant. yes I'm showing off  :tongue2:

Alleluja information at last  ::)  15-20 good sized tubers per plant is a good crop. 

Can't quite see how your posts are funny dear !
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:43 by Aunt Sally »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2009, 22:54 »
Newbe here.  There were some potatoes already growing when we acquired our plot, so don't know what they are.  But when we harvested them about 50% had holes through them.  What potatoes should we buy to avoid this next year?

The holes (if not slug holes) are caused by wire worms which are the larvae of click beetles.  These wire worms should gradually become fewer as atime goes by.

Paul Plots

« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2009, 00:44 »
With 2009 reaching its end surely people are not still digging, weighing and boasting about who has the biggest ones!  ::)

Mine are sitting under the stairs in their sacks providing us with roast, boiled, mashed and potato cakes.....

Must look up how many I planted last year and not over order for 2010 - not all of us are wealthy land owners - I wish!!  ;)

bonfire

« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2009, 12:44 »
Does anyone know how to differentiate holes in the tubers cause by wireworm - which will reduce with cultivation and eelworms - which will get worse unless you avoid growing potatoes on the patch for 6 or more years?

I had some damage this year on about 20% of maincrop potatoes growing on a patch I have cultivated with good results (and not grown  potatoes on there before) over three years - so I thought it must be eelworm.

This year, by the way Lady Christl very early , good yields, Charlotte - excellent yield and cooking qualities, Golden Wonder - main - brilliant taste, OK yield but don't boil unless you like potato soup, Hunter (free sample), good yield, boil nicely and taste OK.....and I| beat the blight, which got every other plot on our site, on potatoes and tomatoes with carefully timed Bordeaux mixture sprayings and no doubt a fair bit of luck.

Paul Plots

« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2009, 00:01 »
Does anyone know how to differentiate holes in the tubers cause by wireworm - which will reduce with cultivation and eelworms - which will get worse unless you avoid growing potatoes on the patch for 6 or more years?

I had some damage this year on about 20% of maincrop potatoes growing on a patch I have cultivated with good results (and not grown  potatoes on there before) over three years - so I thought it must be eelworm.

This year, by the way Lady Christl very early , good yields, Charlotte - excellent yield and cooking qualities, Golden Wonder - main - brilliant taste, OK yield but don't boil unless you like potato soup, Hunter (free sample), good yield, boil nicely and taste OK.....and I| beat the blight, which got every other plot on our site, on potatoes and tomatoes with carefully timed Bordeaux mixture sprayings and no doubt a fair bit of luck.

Eelworm:Infected plants will tend to die back early, sometimes in patches. To confirm the presence of eelworm, check in July/early August. Carefully expose the roots of a potato plant and look for pinhead sized white, yellow or brown cysts on the roots. A magnifying glass may help!

Wireworm:The potato itself may look as if it has had several small dark brownish to black holes punched into it. These are the sites in the tubers which the wireworms have tunneled in and out again to feed. If you have a wireworm infestation in your potato plants you will find wireworms maybe in the tubers and in the surrounding soil.

Hope this is some help for next year!

eelworm-infested-potatoes.jpg
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 00:03 by Learner »

spes123

« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2009, 12:24 »
Due to a severe bad back during the summer and early autumn I have TODAY harvested all of my potatoes and it was not a very pretty sight.  I may have enough potatoes for one meal for one person.  Every single tuber was full of holes and eaten away inside leaving just the skin.  Inside the tubers I found short 1.5 - 2cm black slugs and also two different coloured worms.  Any suggestions as to the best way to dispose of these infected tubers would be appreciated, I don't want to put them on the compost nor do I want to leave them on the ground.

Paul Plots

« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2009, 13:27 »
A very deep hole on the plot would be my choice!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2009, 13:41 »
Slugs and bugs are not an infection as such. Unless you suspect there is something else, such as blight, I'd sling them on the compost.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Potato Results 2010

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

178 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 11:45
by cornykev
xx
supplies for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:21
by garddwr
xx
My First Crop of 2009

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 23:20
by poultrygeist
xx
Plans for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 17:15
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 0.605 seconds with 37 queries.