Poorly Hen?? **New Pics! All is well! :-)**

• 55 Replies

ScottBarton

Re: Poorly Hen?? **Now with Pics**
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 08:54 »
My cat, Lara, was refusing to come in. She was out from last Thursday until Tuesday night when i went looking for her with a torch. She was asleep under next doors bush so i grabbed her and dragged her in. She is now grounded!  :mad:
Really unlike her, she normally comes in every night. She has lost weight as well.

At this time of year she gets a skin condition called 'Feline miliary dermatitis' and is caused by a specific pollen. It really affects her and she ends up with scabby sores all over the back of her neck and under her chin. Vets cant do anything for her, apart from charging me the earth every year i take her in. This year i have been giving her half a piriton tablet every now and then, and also got some special mdicated shampoo to help relieve the itching. It has eased a little. Its not lice/mites/fleas as i have had her checked. She just has a form of Hayfever!!!

http://www.cat-health-guide.org/feline-miliary-dermatitis.html

So, i have a cat who is grounded (she is being lept in until the weekend), a not-so-broody hen who abandoned her nest on day 21  :mad:, an injured/unwell hen who is off to the vets today....and i am only getting 1 egg per day!!! Arghhhhhh.....

PETS!!!!  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:34 by ScottBarton »

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 09:18 »
Have you not noticed if you rearrange the word PETS you get PEST :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 09:23 »
One of my dogs gets a similar thing and has to have a hayfever tablet as well. I was told it was caused by an allergy to barley. She loses all her fur on her back, gets heat spots and ends up red raw from scratching and rubbing herself on anything with an edge. This year she seems to have escaped it (1st time in 4 years), but still on the tablets just in case.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nzdunn

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 10:12 »
we had to have a gorgoeous german shepherd boy PTS last september because of the same condition, gees i really do understand, its a nitemare and so horrible for the animal to have, Jerrylee had it all yr though, we tried absoutley everything we could for me, towards the end he was completey bald underneath, under chin etc, no skin on his paws and pads and his back was continously exploding with massive boils, and there was nothing to be done, we couldnt watch it anylonger so had him pts, it was alwful, worst day of my life.   We had biopsys done on him and he was allergic to everything, grass, pollen, house dust mites etc etc.   Its worrying as it seems to be getting popular now, i wonder if its anything to do with the way these dogs, cats are bred now,   

Sorry for going off the subject, fingers crossed for your girl at the vets this afternoon, i hope its good news.   Nickyx

noshed

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 10:35 »
My cat used to get a similar thing and aloe vera gel helped a bit. Also non-allergenic food was good. A bit dear from the vets but there's a type of Kit E Kat and also that James Wellbeloved stuff.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

ScottBarton

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 15:35 »
Well Korma has had her outing to the Vet. The vet reckons that she has damaged her foot, maybe a tendon, and has prescribed her some pain killers in the form of drops to squirt down her throat.
She also noticed a small worm in one of her poo's and recommends worming. I have some Flubenvet turning up today so will run a course for all 3 of them.

She does not think its Mareks Syndrome, but she does think she is maybe in a little pain which would explain why she has stopped laying. I have been told to assess her in 5-6 days time and if there is no improvement to take her back for an x-ray.
The reason why she drops her wings is to counter balance her weight when she puts pressure on her damaged foot.
Bless her.

I suppose now the inquiry into how she damaged her foot in the first place?? I can only assume it was done by scratching? If she caught it on a brick/stone/rock i suppose she could of damaged it that way?

Will keep you all updated and thanks for all the advice and support.
 :D

My Dad says he was very impressed by the vets at Sandhole, Snodland. The have an expert in poultry and the consultation only cost £23. I know i could of bought another 3 hens for that price but when it comes to a sick or injured pet there is no limit to prevent suffering in my opinion.

joyfull

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 15:40 »
Scott, so pleased that it doesn't appear to be Mareks, thats a relief for you. She could have injured herslf by just jumping off something and landing funny. Think that was a good price with your vets  :D

bexy

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 15:42 »
awwww well that's kind of good news isn't it :)
Give her a peck from us lol ::)

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 20:53 »
Glad the hen has not got mereks! and hope she gets better very soon Scott!

can I just go back to the skin thing! my Jack Russell Rascal has suffered every year all his life (12) he has been to the vet many times in his younger years who was so sure it was flea allergy and all they done was prescribe steriod tablets and said it was not a good thing to keep him on them as it would not be good for him!!!nothing else they can do,  I am always so careful to keep up to date with the spot on etc....... so have always thought it cant be flea's

He is ok up until the crops come in, then he stars itching he gets two bare strips on his back down the sides the skin has a bumpy rash and he gets red hot sore skin, the rash travells and the sore bits heal up the rash moves on to his rump then heals up in time but he seems in so much distress with it! so is this what he has? Allergy to the wheat/corn Any tips on creams to help from your experiences would be greatly appreciated! Tea tree cream seems to help a bit and i have used aloe vera in the past but he tries to lick it off or rub it up the funiture ............. thanks  :)

Trina  :)
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

joyfull

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 21:27 »
My newfie cross has a hayfever tablet a day and if she has hot spots and a bald sore back I rub in E45 cream - bit messy but it helps  :D. Hers is caused by a barley allergy. This year we haven't had any growing near us so not had any problems.

nzdunn

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 22:24 »
so glad to hear its nothing serious as in mereks, bless her and her poorly foot, hope she makes a fast recovery, have to let you into a little secret i think she is beautiful and i was showing my hubby those piccys you posted on the forum of her and the others in your garden, she is so gorgeous.   nickyx

ScottBarton

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 23:00 »
Well already i have seen n improvement! She laid an egg today as well, and this was before the vet trip.
I have a weeks worth of painkillers to give her, all 0.14ml per day of it!  :lol:

She has perked up a bit in herslef and tonight she managed to walk up the ramp herself to go to bed. Its the first time since Sunday i have not had to pick her up and put her to bed.
I am sooooo happy!!!  :)

The official vet report says "Korma has a stiff leg and one of her toes is not bearing weight normally. The feet do not feel as if the bones are broken. She may have sprained a muscle or tendon."
It then goes on to say if there is no improvement after 5 days to bring her back for an xray.

On the cat front, she is better after 2 days as well. Keeping her away from whatever she is allergic to seems to have done the trick. I treat her scabs with an ointment called 'Viatop'. It was left over from last years vet trip and can be got from this website.
http://www.petdispensary.co.uk/viatop-antiseptic-gel-4297-0.html

It seems to do the trick and stops the itching.
I am also going to get a medicated shampoo to try that as well.

nzdunn

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 08:44 »
scott you can get a shampoo from the vets called Malaseb, very well recommended.   Nickyx

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 08:54 »
Oh my!  :blink: that must be what my Mollie cat has! we take her to the vet every year spring early summer with bald back legs and tummy! she looks a right states as she just licks all her fur away! they give her a anti hystim! (SP) whatsit injection but it never works. i too keep up with flea treatments and i have noticed now that her fur is starting to grow back again without any treatment so it must just be to do with pollens etc!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

broodyhen

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 19:56 »
WOW what a fab vet!

well thats good news and it can hopefully get better fingers crossed bless her.

i must say though i have looked at your pics and im slightly worried at the state of my speckledy Pat's feet :( Korma's legs are perfect in comparison to Pat's - hers havent got any scales on and they look really dry....any ideas anyone???

broodyhen

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
new hen pics

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 18:35
by Jellyhead
xx
Pics

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2009, 10:41
by tode
xx
Pics - How to?

Started by Vonnie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 15:11
by joyfull

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 31 queries.