Advice on incubation with an Octagon 10 please!

• 4 Replies

Natasha2810

Advice on incubation with an Octagon 10 please!
« on: July 22, 2009, 14:14 »
Hi!

Could anyone please give me some adive on hatching chick eggs with a Brinsea Octagon 10? I'm a complete novice and the person I bought the incubator off didn't give me any instructions so any advice would be brilliant!

I've set the temp to 38.5 and left the eggs to rest for 19hrs which I hope is OK. I'm just a bit confused about humidity because I have no way of monitoring it. I've filled one of the two water holes and blocked one of the two air vents which I read was the correct way to start, do I need to keep this constant throughout incubation or do I need to raise or lower the water level before I start or at any point throughout? Also it is manual turning so do I need to rotate it from its vertical upright position 45 degrees one way then next turn straight through it's original upright to 45 degrees the other way?

Any help would be great! Thanks so much,

Natasha

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Advice on incubation with an Octagon 10 please!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 14:22 »
Hi and welcome!
all incys are different, i run both of mine dry as humidity is then between 30 and 40% i do find that in the last week i do have to add a small pot of water with tape over as the eggs are releasing less moisture so the humidity drops! 60% humidity when you see the 1st egg pip and with my incy its not enough to just fill the water tray so i pop in a couple of bits of cotton wet wool till i get what i need.
i have 2 of those little hygrometers which acurately do temp and humidity only cost £14 off ebay! well worth it i say

good luck

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Natasha2810

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 14:39 »
Thanks Debbie! I'll definitely invest in one of those I feel a bit clueless about the whole process at the minute, hopefully someone with the same incubator might take pity on me and give me some help!

noshed

Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 18:54 »
your temp is too high, 37.5 throughout will be fine. You can prob get away with running dry this time of year and then top up when the eggs are pipping. Humidity around 40% to start then increase to 60% for the last couple of days, when there is evidence of external pipping (little cracks in the shells)

xx
Brinsea Octagon 20 advice please

Started by Rubellite on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 19:54
by Foxy
xx
Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance incubator advice

Started by chuckie.egg on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 20:37
by Rubellite
xx
Incubation advice needed please!

Started by Chompie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 18:50
by woodside farm
xx
Incubation advice: hatch -7

Started by Allotment_Guy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 08:26
by kimT

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 28 queries.