nervous new bantam

• 7 Replies

lucylou

• Experienced Member
nervous new bantam
« on: July 22, 2009, 00:06 »
hi ! looking for advice again!-
we have just bought 3 POL bantam hens from the rare poultry auction on saturday -all from the same seller & in same cage. Howver, now they are in their new home, one of them seems very nervous to eat when the others are nearby.  She is pecking around, scratching and eating but stops and looks around anxiously when one of the others is close by.  She has been pecked on the back a couple of times by one of them but i dont think being bullied (i have been watching them closely for signs of this) i'm guessing that they were put in together for the sale but are not actually used to each other. Anyway, i checked her crop tonite and it was very small (about the size of a used teabag!) the others were twice that size- she seems in good condition apart from her nerves, do you think i should somehow try to get her to eat more or just wait for a while to see what happens? 

many thanks, Lucylou

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: nervous new bantam
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:43 »
try putting another feeder out  so she stands more chance of getting some food  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:10 »
thanks, ill do that Joyfull.  Its interesting watching them - they go up their ladder into their house at night (Had to show them how though!) but they wont come out in the morning - just stay there perched. Yesterday i left it to see if they would  eventually come out but as they didnt 2 hours later i had to get them out !  Ive still got to add my lonely little bantam(Tracey) into the equation too, who is being kept separate incase of disaese from new ones. Tracey is in a run nearby andhas noticed them but is carrying on as usual!  i think My husband is worried about all the attention i am paying to them - watching them etc!! ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:28 »
ignore him hens are far more entertaining  :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:36 »
Oh yes hens are much more fun!  :D tell him if he lays you an egg and scratches around in the dirt you will find him just as interesting  :lol: sorry my hubby knows im only joking when i say i would rather be with my girls sometimes  :lol: especially when football is on!  :dry: they may well of been together before but there will always be a certain pecking order, i still have a hen that gets pecked if she tries to eat before the others higher in the order than her!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 13:25 »
 :D my poor husband!!he already has his suspiciaons that he comes after the dog in our household pecking order!! ive got to be nice to him as ive got a new project planned for him - to build another coop and run for my next hens!! hopefully they will start laying eggs soon which will be an incentive to him (seriously though - he does at least think they are funny and has  named 2 of them (Linda and Donna - probably old girlfriends!) :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 13:31 »
My hubby got to name 1 of my girls! poor thing is called Roastie!  :blink: mind you mine is Nugget!  :lol:

Debbie

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 18:55 »
what breed are they Lucylou??? :)

xx
Nervous Nellies

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 13:19
by oddpaws
xx
Newbie getting nervous!

Started by 19mart71 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 16:18
by tosca100
xx
best looking bantam

Started by poultrypeople on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 18:12
by sarah1983jane
xx
Something has taken my little bantam

Started by Beano on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2022, 22:23
by Beano

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 29 queries.