brown spots on strawbs

• 7 Replies

crowndale

brown spots on strawbs
« on: April 20, 2007, 08:34 »
I have brown patches on some of my strawberry plants, the plants look healthy but the patches are new, weren't there two days ago.  Any ideas?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Trillium

brown spots on strawbs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 21:40 »
Are the brown patches on the larger, older leaves? If so, then they should be cut off at the stem. Or, it could be a bit of mold from being too damp. Any pix?

crowndale

brown spots on strawbs
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 22:06 »
They are on largish leaves yes, I removed all the dead and old ones before they were planted out and it's been really dry here the last month, but I have watered them a few times.  I'll see if I can get a pick tomorrow, it's a bit dark right now!  :lol:

Trillium

brown spots on strawbs
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 22:30 »
The old leaves must be clipped off every fall or they use up valuable nutrients.
But it sounds like your planting is fairly new and that you're actually having drought problems. Strawbs can't go a month, not even 2 weeks, without good watering. It's one of the few things I mulch well and water well through the whole season, with or without berries. The current year's watering tells the plant what size berries to set for next year, and how many flowers to put out this year.  Time to invest in a soaker (not a sprinkler) hose I think. YOu turn it on in the evening and turn it off in the morn, and the ground is deeply and nicely damp. It'll be 2 weeks or so before it needs repeating if drought keeps up. Leaves will stay dry and mold free as well. It will be harder to manage at an allotment but I think you're growing them at home aren't you?

crowndale

brown spots on strawbs
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 07:54 »
Yes, they are at home, I took a pic this morning:

They have weed suppressant fabric cover to keep the weds down and the berries clean (when they come).  I have been watering them but haven't soaked them like described.  I try and put all the water to the gaps in the fabric to avoid splashing the plants.  They have a few flowers today but it's still early here for that and is still quite cold compared to the rest of the UK.

WG.

brown spots on strawbs
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:47 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
... and is still quite cold compared to the rest of the UK.
 :?:  :?:

crowndale

brown spots on strawbs
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 11:33 »
Well, when it's been 21 C in in the south (which we all in the north know is the only place weather forecasteres are really interested in telling us about!) it's been around 13C here.  Even when it says it will be 18C here it hasn't really reached that temp.  Not that I'm complaining, it's a heck of a lot warmer than it usually is in april here!  But I also realise it is not even as warm as 13C in many places further north!  :D

Trillium

brown spots on strawbs
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 19:46 »
What you have is Leafspot. It's not overly serious but can become a larger problem if not treated asap. Pick off the worst of the leaves without touching others as the disease is a fungus which can spread, and burn those leaves. Avoid all overhead watering, but do water the plants often, and if they lack enough compost, a compost tea would be very helpful at this stage. Bob Flowerdew suggests that the rest of the leaves get a Bordeaux treatment. Not sure if that's still available in garden centres over there, but some sort of fungicide would help control it.

xx
brown spots on potato leaves

Started by jenn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 21:31
by gowing238
xx
Brown spots on potato leaves

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 17:52
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Peas - brown spots on the leaves

Started by Ann on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2007, 00:25
by WG.
xx
Potatoe problem - brown spots!

Started by dmhain on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 16:06
by dmhain

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 36 queries.