Frost Damage Yes But what about mist and fog

• 10 Replies

mkhenry

« on: April 20, 2007, 22:37 »
Every one knows frost destroys seedlings but another deadly killer can be mist and fog. A greenhouse full of fog will tend to do as much damage as a bad frost on unprotected crops. To avoid any fog or mist problems put a couple of saucers of household ammonia in the greenhouse,or near any enclosed walled areas or one small saucer in cold frames. It will protect them against even the thickest fog or mist.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Re: Frost Damage Yes But what about mist and fog
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:28 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Every one knows frost destroys seedlings but another deadly killer can be mist and fog. A greenhouse full of fog will tend to do as much damage as a bad frost on unprotected crops. To avoid any fog or mist problems put a couple of saucers of household ammonia in the greenhouse,or near any enclosed walled areas or one small saucer in cold frames. It will protect them against even the thickest fog or mist.

I  seem to recall some elderly gentlemen mentioning that many years ago. We are quite prone to fog and mist here in rural worcs, I will try it out!!  :)
trying to be organic....

WG.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 11:51 »
I don't understand this one, I must say.  Can anyone please explain the theory behind what damage might be done by fog/mist?

DadBear

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:33 »
in some cases fog can be supercooled and can freeze on contact with things that are slightly warmer eg leaves etc. i saw a lot of it when stationed in Germany and Norway.!

WG.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:52 »
Quote from: "DadBear"
in some cases fog can be supercooled and can freeze on contact
OK thanks, hadn't thought of freezing fog but I'm still not sure why this would affect a greenhouse or how a dish of bleach would help.

DadBear

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 13:50 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
in some cases fog can be supercooled and can freeze on contact
OK thanks, hadn't thought of freezing fog but I'm still not sure why this would affect a greenhouse or how a dish of bleach would help.

The ammonia, i think, stops the water droplets from condensing by absorbing them. i've just asked my wife, who is a chemist, and the correct term is 'depression of freezing point'. Apparently, the ammonia is 'hygroscopic' and attracts water from the environment to combine with it to form a more stable compound !!!..

WG.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 15:23 »
The ammonia, i think, stops the water droplets from condensing by absorbing them. i've just asked my wife, who is a chemist, and the correct term is 'depression of freezing point'. Apparently, the ammonia is 'hygroscopic' and attracts water from the environment to combine with it to form a more stable compound !!!..
OK thank you, that is the sort of information my enquiring mind requires  :D     I had considered something along these lines but figured a bucket of the stuff might be required rather than just a small saucer.   No matter, I am satisfied.  Thanks again.

DadBear

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 16:19 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
OK thank you, that is the sort of information my enquiring mind requires  :D     I had considered something along these lines but figured a bucket of the stuff might be required rather than just a small saucer.   No matter, I am satisfied.  Thanks again.

According to Mrs, its pretty nasty stuff and you are right, you would need a fair bit.... easier with a wee heater I think!

mkhenry

frost and fog
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 19:32 »
More than one gardener has lost a crop of seedlings and put it down to the cold or heavy frost when in fact it was fog.As for the amount I can assure you that a couple of saucers will be more than adequate to protect a 8 x 12 greenhouse.Or at least it always has been for the last 100 years or so.As to an enclosed greenhouse it is the nature of fog to get into any gaps however small,and a lottie green house on an exposed site is very prone to fog incursion.  The droplets it leaves choke a plant and have a freezing effect. Most healthy plants have there own built in anti-freeze the fog prevents this from working.

Remember you are only altering the greenhouse environment not the whole allotment.Two saucers will work,put them down when heavy fog is expected,and remove the next day.

An old proverb c1800. Says Mists in March Frosts in May.  I hope thats wrong. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 20:47 »
It's Scotch mist you really have to worry about, whiskey_golf.  Seriously though, we get coastal mist here - called sea fret locally- which rolls in with the tide sometimes during the summer. Can't put a saucer of ammonia out on the allotment!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

mkhenry

Sea fog
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 21:02 »
The method used to uplift Sea Fog was to light tubs the size of a modern 45 gallon drum all along the side of the growing area. They used the same idea to clear and lift fog during the war on runways,code named F.I.D.O.  Yes it works but I just cannot see it being very practical on a modern lottie. Not without some comment from the committee anyway. :D  :D  :D

xx
Frost damage

Started by BNN on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 16:35
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Frost damage

Started by Gillian tillian on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 18:52
by DD.
xx
Frost damage

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 23:57
by Dan78
xx
Frost Damage - Anything I can do ?

Started by Leapyear on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 17:30
by lee79

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 36 queries.