Cucumbers and Melons

• 12 Replies

Ann

Cucumbers and Melons
« on: April 18, 2007, 19:32 »
I sowed seeds of crystal apple, market more and a couple of melon seeds about 10 days ago. One of the melon seeds germinated in a couple of days no sign of anything else.  They are on a sunny window sill and brought into the room at night should I resow or am I being impatient?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 21:14 »
I'd hang on for a few more days yet usually up to 14 days is about average I think.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Ann

Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 22:28 »
Thanks Richy it's not something I have grown before so not sure what to expect from them.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 22:50 »
No prob's I've had a really funny year with germination myself some up some not  :?

cozzcov

Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 22:54 »
Are melon/cucumber seeds best planted on their edge like you should with courgette and squash?  Something to do with them not laying flat and thereby not holding water and then rotting.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 22:57 »
Think so I've always had better results that way, growing melons for the first time this year and must admit to just chucking em in rushing  :lol:  and they where up before my pumpkins and butternuts. funny world

king cauli

• Experienced Member
Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 01:38 »
i am growing the same varieties as yaself and mine were a little slow starting,so as you do,excavated around the pot and had a peep,they be doin just fine,just slow at germination,i see an article about putting ya melons in a clear plastic box when growing,this way you can produce square fruits,i am gonna try it with some toms this year :)
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/th_thc.jpg[/img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/caulicow.jpg[/img]

Ann

Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:20 »
I'll wait a while longer then before sowing any more and have a little peep to see if any signs of germination.  

Some seeds I have had 100% germination and others have been as low as 2 in 10 even the chives and sweet basil which I ususally have no trouble germinating are bad this year

sclarke624

Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 14:10 »
I thought my 2 cucumber seeds had failed and planted more, thought they had failed and planted yet more...................result I now have 6 cucumber plants growing  :shock:  :lol:
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

king cauli

• Experienced Member
Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 01:39 »
i was always one of those kids that had to tear a corner of the wrapping paper for a peek,same with the seeds,if i think its taking a bit too long,it saves me having 30 plants when i only want 10.

Ann

Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 11:07 »
I've had a poke around and 3 are showing signs of life so will wait and see what happens with them before sowing more.

Growbag

Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 22:30 »
When I planted my melon seeds nothing came out for a week.  I was getting concerned when I read somewhere that you should cover the pots to keep them in the dark.  Tried this and 2 days later all the seedlings emerged.
From fork to fork

Trillium

Cucumbers and Melons
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 22:35 »
One time I grew cuke seeds, every last b*****d one turned out to be a male and I got no cukes at all. By the time I realized it was a packinging error, I couldn't find any cuke plants to buy nor time to start more seed. So don't be in a hurry to toss out too many cuke plants too soon; see what's growing first then donate the others.  :wink:

xx
Cucumbers and Melons

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 16:02
by mdueal
xx
melons and cucumbers

Started by robbiechick on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 18:31
by little sweetpeas
xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
melons

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 15:45
by Trillium

Page created in 0.545 seconds with 29 queries.