OMG I hatched a goose...

• 11 Replies

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
OMG I hatched a goose...
« on: July 07, 2009, 13:46 »
... and I am really not sure what to do with it!  Sounds awful but whilst I have hatched many hundreds of chicks (not personally you understand - I'd squash them) I have never managed to successfully hatch a goose... but Goosey Lucy/ Brucey arrived yesterday.  My OH is dead chuffed with his soul mate but has left welfare to me.  And as I wasn't expecting any to hatch I kind of didn't really do any research which is careless of me I know.

Eeek!

Does anyone have any advice please?

Here's the situation so far:

1. I've given it a name (see above - final name obviously depends on it's gender)
2. I have it on its own at the moment as the chicks pecked it.  Lots.  It's under a lamp.
3. It's really unsteady on it's feet (bless) - is that right though? 
4. I have given it water and chick crumb and (as I read that they can start eating grass straight away) grass. 
5. I was worried it wasn't eating but it liked nibbling on the grass.
6. I am worried it's lonely as none of the other eggs have hatched... when can i integrate it with the chicks (which are bantams of course and about 1/3 its size)

I'd be most grateful for any help or advice. 

Sarah (mother goose!):-)
Mad chicken woman

Caralou

Re: OMG I hatched a goose...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 13:47 »
Can't help on the advice, but well done  :D :D Do we get a piccy???  :D

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 13:51 »
Thank you I am so proud  :D

Pic if I can figure out how to do it

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 13:56 »
Lucky you, I want one or two or three.....................
My husband says maybe next year, I have hatched two call ducks, which he also says I can't keep, we'll see  ;)

Congratulations

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 13:56 »
noticed that the peoples on her who have hatched geese have all given theirs teddys for company  :D
Think the feed needs to be unmedicated chick crumb or is that ducklings?
Best wait till vember or Kate or wildwitchy comes on to help.
Staffies are softer than you think.

wildwitchy

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 14:14 »
Hello Sarah! Well done you for hatching an egg! Sarah is chief mother goose on here! I'm just a learner at it!  :lol:  :D :happy:

My two have got a couple of teddy's for company which they sleep next to, but they have each other.
 I would of thought your goosey baby would get a bit big for the banty chicks & perhaps squash them. Mine run away from the chickens.  :unsure: Sarah may know more.

Do you have a broody/mother hen to pop him or her with. Yes I've given mine chick crumb for two weeks but there on waterfowl growers now (allen & page) and boy are they growing!

Have a look at the thread on "we're thinking about geese that moco/vember has done. It is invaluble for keeping goslings. I refer to it lots for advice with my two to check how they're progressing.

Mine sometimes fall over - they are a bit bottom heavy untill their feet/front end act as ballast!  :lol: 

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 14:16 »

Mine sometimes fall over - they are a bit bottom heavy untill their feet/front end act as ballast!  :lol: 

Thats whats up with me - bottom heavy  :lol:
Does my bum look big on here?  :lol: :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 14:23 »

Thats whats up with me - bottom heavy  :lol:
Does my bum look big on here?  :lol: :lol:

yeh joy- thats why ive got size 8 feet! say no more - my geese are like their mother - bottom heavy  :lol: :lol:

Vember

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 14:29 »
Hi Sarah :)

Non medicated chick crumbs are a must, the medicated ones can kill them :(

You need to get it a goose friend asap, it will not even if female live happily ever after with your chickens/ any chickens :(  Crumb, hand reared went on the grass with chickens when young she is as soft as putty I can turn her inside out an back again, but she will try an kill the chickens :(

Where about's are you Sarah? I have some hatching Monday, if you could get here,  for a friend for it
It really is cruel to leave it on it's own :(

Get a good goose book Domestic Geese by Chris Ashton is fab, and next time read up before hatching :)

Sarah :)

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 14:50 »
Thanks everyone - by unmedicated do you mean without the coccy stuff in it?

Thanks for the offer Vember but we are in Berkshire...

We are looking round local farms to see if we can get another gosling - its a shame it is on its own but hopefully for not much longer.  I will steal a teddy from my daughter this evening - she'll never know - she has hundreds!

Thanks again

Sarah MG

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 14:57 »
Thats the stuff - usually A&P small holders range or their organic range  :D,
Sure your daughter won't mind sharing her teddies with a cute little gosling  :D

Bye the way wildwitchey my feet are only size 4 - do you think theyll grow anymore as I'm already half a century??  :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 16:09 »
If its any help Sarah, I got my goslings from norfolk geese.

http://www.norfolkgeese.co.uk/

If you email them, they will send you details of your nearest supplier for day olds or similar. Perhaps they could be paired up - vember may offer advice regarding this.

I had to travel to craven arms, shrophire for my two but very worth it.. They are beautiful. I got them from a agent via norfolk geese called cryril basons. I have their contact details. They were my nearest supplier. You may have one near to you if you phone/email.

I didn't know about the geese attacking the chickens when they're older..sorry for giving you wrong help there sarah.  :wacko:

Joy I hope they don't, as I don't want mine to, they're already as right size!  :lol:

xx
Goose getting better - Thank you :)

Started by Vi on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 13:25
by lina
xx
Goose Egg

Started by Vember on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 14:52
by Vember
xx
Goose egg

Started by slowef on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 20:21
by Stree
xx
goose value!

Started by megkaya on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 11:51
by megkaya

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 38 queries.