what do i paint the hen house with?

• 18 Replies

tonethebone

Re: what do i paint the hen house with?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 08:59 »
Very impressed! Looks lovely.

I'd put either a slab or brick in each corner to keep the wooden feet from coming into contact with the damp ground and causing them to rot. Also gives you a little more height if you need it.

I assume you've got access to the nest boxes?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 09:15 »
Hi tonethebone,thats not actually its final position.... its going under trees, on a bed of slabs. we are putting it on slabs so the feet dont come into contact with the ground , also it will be a dry area under the coop for them to shelter, feed etc. as the food is going on the slabs it will be easy to clean up any spillages also. the rest of the run will be covered in a thick layer of bark! its almost finished now so i will put up lots of pictures. My chickens are comming home on the 1st of aug so i will hopefully have time to make changes if any of you spot a major problem with it. thankyou to everyone for your help and advice, take care, lizzie

Flowerpower136

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 11:33 »
Looks really good, and nice and big.

We've at the same stage, but have gone for external ply as the walling. It doesn't look as good as yours, but I was hoping less joints would mean less mites.  We've nailed and glues all the joints with polyurethane wood adhesive, which is really strong, and also acts as a filler - again with mites in mind.

I'm paranoid about the little whatsits.
Good tip re soaking with poultry shield.  I have some, but wasn't entirely sure what to do with it!!

Just posted some pics of our work, but had to reduce the size to almost postage stamp.  What am I doing wrong?  How did you get pics that size to work?  Please explain...... slowly........ as though you were talking to a 2 year old.......

Keep posting, and we can compare progress. 

dizzylizzie

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 16:02 »
we are paranoid about them too. the inside is getting lined with marine ply, that has been stained then a few coats of yatch varnish and all sealed around the edges..... i dont want thoes red mites any where near my girls!  :D

xx
What should I paint my chicken house with?

Started by Henlady on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 15:01
by hillfooter
xx
Paint

Started by Raven81 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 18:52
by daisy1990
xx
paint

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 23:50
by Paul Plots
xx
Red mites are here! Should I paint?

Started by Gobsheen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2014, 23:20
by Gobsheen

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 36 queries.