Lavender - when to clip

• 9 Replies

Casey76

Lavender - when to clip
« on: July 04, 2009, 16:52 »
I bought 6 lavendar plants (three each of 2 varieties) at the moment they are still in pots till I can decide where to plant them (they were an impulse buy at the GC).

Anywya they have now flowered and dried.  When should I clip them (I would like to keep the dried lavender).  And should I clip all of the tall flower stalk off, or just the flower head?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Lavender - when to clip
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 17:14 »
I think a general prune back to the plant straight after flowering, but not into old wood, is the general recommendation for established plants.  If yours are new and need to grow a bit then don't go too hard back.

Lavenders will get woody and leggy if you don't prune back regularly and low enough, but they are reluctant to grow new growth from old wood, hence needing to be careful about this.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 17:22 »
Thanks Yorkie, you're a star :)

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 17:33 »
Yes definitely do not cut back in to old wood - my mum asked me to prune her lavender bushes when I was a teenager. I got a bit carried away and cut them right back and they all died off afterwards!!! OOOOPS.   :ohmy:

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:43 »
Make sure you plant them somewhere sunny & dryish too, a few handfulls of coarse grit in the planting hole does them good.  I can't grow lavender here as my soil is just too damp (or most herbs either  :() but I bought a few for the allotment for when I get my herb & salad bed sorted.  There's a lovely sounding lavender cake recipe in the recipe competition btw 8)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 09:17 »
I cut mine back as soon as the flowers have died its taken over this year and looks more like a tree than the bushes they should be  :ohmy:

catllar

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 18:24 »
have been told you should cut lavender for drying before the flowers fade then hang em upside down to dry. I clip mine back a bit after flowering and then a drastic haircut, (but like everyone else says, not into the old wood) in the early spring - seems a bit harsh to hack them back in the summer.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:26 »
I was in the supermarket yesterday and they had big french lavender bushes - the cultivation instructions did indeed recommend the main prune in early spring, contrary to what I posted previously  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 14:27 »
Yes definitely do not cut back in to old wood - my mum asked me to prune her lavender bushes when I was a teenager. I got a bit carried away and cut them right back and they all died off afterwards!!! OOOOPS.   :ohmy:

teenages will do anything to get out of being asked to do things again  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 22:02 »
I cut off the flowers when wanted for drying and hang them up, then go over the bushes in spring with the hedge cutter, taking off about 2 ins. They always flower really weel and are at least 25 yrs old  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
How hard can you clip box

Started by Spana on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 18:53
by Spana
xx
Looking for lavender

Started by Diddy Gardener on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 11:43
by Kristen
xx
Lavender

Started by casper on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 12:19
by mumofstig
xx
Lavender

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 14:21
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 37 queries.