what flooring do i put in a hen house?

• 6 Replies

dizzylizzie

what flooring do i put in a hen house?
« on: June 30, 2009, 18:53 »
hi everyone, im getting my chickens in a few weeks, and we have decided to build our own house. Ok, your talking to someone who has never held a saw, but yesterday i went and bought a circular saw from aldi !!!!. ok.... it seems to be going ok, the frame work has been built, and we are putting 12mm cladding on the outside, on the inside we are putting marine ply to make the surface smooth and waterproof, but what would you then cover it with? we were going to glue lino down , then seal the edges so it could be washed really easily. then andy found some spare bathroom floor tiles in the shed... what about these for the floor, we thought as well as being hygienic, we thought they would be cool in weather like this. today we also saw some pvc cladding....what about thos for inside the coop?, i would glue it to the marine ply, nothing would be able to hide under there. i know ive asked a lot of questions, im sorry but im very new to this and i really want to get it right. Any advice would br greatly appreciated :D :D

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: what flooring do i put in a hen house?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:05 »
you migth be better just to leave the wood as it is - it's easy to scrub down like that - maybe use wodo presever.
i know that a few members'll have recommendations for red mite prevention, but we don't use any - just dust it with red mite powder when we've cleaned it out (every month or two depending on weather): we put newspaper under the perches for them to poo on duringthe night and then whip it away in the morning - easiest to keep clean that way!
 :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:43 »
Just to make you aware you should have a raised floor or you will have rats or mice living under it!!!

I have cushion flooring and I sweep out once a day and mop once a week.  I have not glued down so I can remove and clean underneath. The colour is a little garish but it was cheep.

Try this link
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=32947.0

Edit: was to add the above link.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:45 by Roughlee Handled »
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 15:15 »
thankyou so much for your advice. im trying to put a photo on of my half built house, but it keep saying the file is too large :blink:... im sooooo rubish at doing anything technical
as regards the floor, we have raised it..... 20 inches. we are putting the sides on first, then dropping a floor in. ive got mesh to cover the underside of the floor to try and stop rats. ive never done anything like this before, so im quite pleased with it so far. i have to confess, i havent really got a 'plan ' so to speak, but i know what i want it to look like( sort of ;)) just hope my hubby dosent read this cos im trying to do it on my own and he keeps trying to give me advice and i keep telling him i know what im doing he he he

Vember

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 16:54 »
 Hi Dizzy

Have a read through this, tells you all about putting pictures on :D

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19476.0

Lookin forward to seeing the coop :D Tell Hubby to butt out or he'll be living in it and the hens will be in the house :lol:

Sarah :)

matilda duck

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 17:15 »
We have laminate flooring on the base of ours :blink:.  We had some left from in the house so we used it... Works a treat for us easy to clean, mop and with bedding on it the chickens don't seem to mind!!!!!!!

Good luck with yours and sounds like your asking the right questions first!!!!!!!! :nowink:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 19:15 »
Thanks for your replys.just come back from B&Q for MORE wood ::) so will try and do photos when i finish this bit of wall.
Do you know what , my kids have been stars today! they all knew iwanted to get on with the hen house, so my 20yr old gave my 10yr old his physio, my 16yr old cooked tea, and my 15yr old walked the dog....... but my so called partner, my soul mate..... has been stood behind me trying to end his life by a claw hammer accidently falling onto his head (several times! :lol:) Just been telling a friend about him and she reakons i should put a false floor into the bottom of the chicken coop and hide his body in there! he he he
anyway, hopefully there will be photos soon
thanks again to everyone for your advice :lol:

xx
Hen house flooring - help!!

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 17:32
by redmolly
xx
Hen House flooring

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 19:35
by mrs.ploppy
xx
House flooring/bedding

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 09:50
by Willow_Warren
xx
what flooring for the run

Started by sued on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 16:48
by sued

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 28 queries.