Butternut squash problem

• 10 Replies

Becci W

Butternut squash problem
« on: June 28, 2009, 21:52 »
Hi, can anyone give me some advice on growing butternut squash, I seem to have a habit of killing mine :unsure:
I grew my first lot on my window sill then moved them to the cold frame for a few days then planted them out with a bit of chicken manure pellets but they all died!
I've got my next lot growing now, have put them in the cold frame for a week but they are looking a bit iffy again.....what do I do?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Butternut squash problem
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 21:57 »
I hope they are not covered at the mo, cos in this heat and humidity they need to be in the fresh air :)

Becci W

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 22:01 »
Put them out yesterday because I thought as much, I don't get it, the pumpkins are doing great, as are the courgettes, I just can't seem to get the butternut squash to work!!!

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 22:20 »
This is by no means a definitive but...have you got them in shade? I have experimented and planted some in different parts of the plot. Seems that those shaded from the sun are doing so much better! In fact some with no cover at all got scorched up by the sun!!

Becci W

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 22:25 »
Have put them in partial shade now (this afternoon), they were in full sun the last time .....hmmm maybe that is the answer, thanks!!!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 22:28 »
I've tried to grow these for a couple of seasons now.  All I can say from my experience is that they need a very long period of hot weather to produce anything.  They grew like triffids and produced fruit but the weather meant they didn't get large and ripen.  Lots of rain last year meant they rotted and died.

If anyone knows how to overcome these problems I would love to know. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

crowndale

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:16 »
my 5 squash plants are all looking rther sick, thought I'd maybe over watered them but maybe its the full sun they are planted in instead.  but whatever the reason at least they have grown this year, last years didn't even poke their heads out of the soil!!  maybe next year I'll actually get some squash?!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 10:43 »
I've tried to grow these for a couple of seasons now.  All I can say from my experience is that they need a very long period of hot weather to produce anything.  They grew like triffids and produced fruit but the weather meant they didn't get large and ripen.  Lots of rain last year meant they rotted and died.

I got about a dozen off two plants last year.... I was ruthless in limiting the number of 'fruit' on each stem to 3/4
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

susie

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 14:20 »
I have tried sowing them in paper pots this year, so that they get a start before planting out, this seems to be working.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 16:12 »

If i remember correctly isn't Richy growing his in a frame this year? We'll have to see how he does :D

devondave

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 17:50 »
I grew one from a seed taken from the one id eaten, once it was big enough I put it in the poly tunnel, was growin quite slowly but now its growing like mad, dont know what will happen when it really gets going lol

xx
Another Butternut Squash Problem

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 16:00
by sunshineband
clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 16:14
by mumofstig
xx
Butternut squash

Started by frenchliving on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 13:03
by frenchliving

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 30 queries.