Butternut Squash

• 21 Replies

devondave

Butternut Squash
« on: July 29, 2009, 19:52 »
I planted a one butternut squash plant and its going great, its going in all directions, I was wondering about it having from what I can see all male flowers on it (my gherkins were like this but then went mad and produced loads of female flowers and Ive had loads of gherkins) so will female flowers turn up at some point?  the other question is do I need to remove male flowers once ive got female flowers and do I need to pollinate by hand

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Butternut Squash
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 19:56 »
They will turn up.

No need to remove the males, (got something against us?)

Hand pollinating probably not neccessary, but won't do any harm.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

titch

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 21:37 »
this is my first year of growing bs, so how do i tell the difference between the male and female flowers, and how does one go about ahem pollinating them please  :blush:
i have one tiny squash on the plant so far but if i can help it along would love to know how

thanks
just keep breathing................

Bombers

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 21:41 »
this is my first year of growing bs, so how do i tell the difference between the male and female flowers, and how does one go about ahem pollinating them please  :blush:
i have one tiny squash on the plant so far but if i can help it along would love to know how

thanks
Here's my one and only BNS that I grew last year!
This is the female...... :)

and if you remove one of the male flowers, pull off the petals, and give it a good rub around on the female flower... then hey presto!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 00:12 »
Is that sort of thing allowed in public Bombers?   :blush:

I just turn my back and let my BNS get on with it.... in return they do their best to get under my feet and trip me up!

Providing we have some sun this summer and there continue to be enough bees and buzzing things flitting about I'm not going to help out with the pollination - they'll get there on their own eventually.

I'm hoping for not too much wet, cold stuff at the end of summer - BNS wont store well unless they ripen first....I've found  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Bombers

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 10:56 »
Is that sort of thing allowed in public Bombers?   :blush:

I just turn my back and let my BNS get on with it.... in return they do their best to get under my feet and trip me up!

Providing we have some sun this summer and there continue to be enough bees and buzzing things flitting about I'm not going to help out with the pollination - they'll get there on their own eventually.

I'm hoping for not too much wet, cold stuff at the end of summer - BNS wont store well unless they ripen first....I've found  :(
With all this cold wet and windy weather, all my little bees are stuck inside playing on their xboxes rather than out pollinating, so I think a little hand pollinating is the future!  ;) :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 16:07 »
I think I can see a little yellow bulgy bit --- let's hope it is a female flower at long last  :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

... hope it is not wishful thinking: I even had my glasses on  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 18:16 »
I think I can see a little yellow bulgy bit --- let's hope it is a female flower at long last  :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

So how come you don't lose your specs in the BNS bed?

Mine are constantly sliding out of my shirt pocket and vanishing for a week or two.... Tried putting them in other pockets and then I squash (no pun intended), bend or snap them!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 15:27 »

So how come you don't lose your specs in the BNS bed?

Mine are constantly sliding out of my shirt pocket and vanishing for a week or two.... Tried putting them in other pockets and then I squash (no pun intended), bend or snap them!!

I have them jammed on top of my head or on my nose. MInd you, sometimes I can't see them on my head and need help .............  :nowink: :nowink: :nowink:

purplejaguar

• Experienced Member
  • I would love some Ducks one day :)
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 15:39 »
I am growing squash for the first time this year and I have seen not one flower on them yet, I have two plants?? Can they flower later than things like courgettes or pumpkins??
Chinese Proverb - Man who puts Meat and Peas in same pot, very unhygenic!! ;o)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 15:44 »
For me - they always do. Mine haven't yet either.

purplejaguar

• Experienced Member
  • I would love some Ducks one day :)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 15:48 »
Phew, its not just me then  :).

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 16:03 »
Learner, wouldn't it help if you kept your glasses on your face?  Just a thought... :unsure:

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 22:39 »
Learner, wouldn't it help if you kept your glasses on your face?  Just a thought... :unsure:

That's a simply wonderful idea but whenever I try that I can't see long distance.. :(

The glasses are for close-up only. Although I hated having glasses when I first needed them (40th birthday  :() I sometimes envy people who have them on all the time. I only stick them on when things close up are out of focus.  8) The rest of the time they are perched somehere waiting to be used. I have about 10 pairs in all (not counting those lost in long grass, amongst the courgettes or in a bag... all cheap of the shelf reading glasses).

At work they are often on my head - and, when I am busy, I forget and search for another pair!! All confirming what the children already knew = "he's mad!!"  ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 14:15 »

That's a simply wonderful idea but whenever I try that I can't see long distance.. :(

The glasses are for close-up only. Although I hated having glasses when I first needed them (40th birthday  :() I sometimes envy people who have them on all the time. I only stick them on when things close up are out of focus.  8) The rest of the time they are perched somehere waiting to be used. I have about 10 pairs in all (not counting those lost in long grass, amongst the courgettes or in a bag... all cheap of the shelf reading glasses).

At work they are often on my head - and, when I am busy, I forget and search for another pair!! All confirming what the children already knew = "he's mad!!"  ::)

:D :D :D
At least they are all your own. I have been known to have mine on my head and then pick up someone elses and wear those  :wacko: :wacko:

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2021, 11:47
by bobbyt
xx
butternut squash

Started by terrijane on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 12:17
by terrijane
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by Nettles on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 16:33
by lucywil

Page created in 0.753 seconds with 36 queries.