New Baby Ducks - Advice

• 7 Replies

darrena

• Experienced Member
New Baby Ducks - Advice
« on: June 26, 2009, 20:50 »
Hi,

Collected my 2 baby female welsh harlequins today at just 6 days old.
Although a little nervous they seem to be settle in and I have now seen them both eat and drink.
I was wondering ho much they should be eating, I have quite a large shallow dish so it may be quite hard to know if they are getting enough!
I was also wondering if I should leave the light on at night or whether the heat lamp will enough, I thought they would sleep more being so young but they seem very active they were hatched using a broody hen

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 21:23 by darrena »

matilda duck

Re: New Baby Ducks - Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 22:01 »
Hiiya welcome to duck keeping.

As long as they are eating and drinking and they have constant supply to water especially then thats not a problem.
They like a bit of time in nice tepid water in the bath as well.

You don't have to leave a light on for them at night, I don't think they are frightened of the dark!!!  The heat lamp itself will give off a glow anyway.  Make sure that's on for a few more weeks as they need that warmth 24/7 at the moment anyway.
 Why did you think they would sleep more????  These are ducks and they are on the go from the word go!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 22:56 »
Don't worry, they will eat as much as they need (and it's amazing how much they can get through!). Just make sure that they have food and water available at all times for the first 2 weeks. After that some people change to just feeding them twice a day but I have to say mine have food available at all time during the day but not in their coop at night. Water in a must as well. Again they don't need it at night one they are older providing they don't have food available at night.

I love my Welsh Harlequin ducklings, they are a month old now and just getting their beautiful feathers through.

Are you going to treat us to a pic? It's law you know! :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

darrena

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 13:00 »
Ok will get some pictures up loaded over next day or two.
One other question, the area where they will eventually have free run of has alot pf pea gravel is this a problem with ducks do they have a tendncy to swallow it?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 21:56 »
Yes they might swallow some of it but no that's not a problem. They eat grit and small stones to grind up food in their crop so is normal behaviour.

darrena

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:52 »
Whats the best way to make them less scared and more friendly, at the moment when I walk in the garage they run to the back of their cage and jump up and down trying to get away from me, clearly they are still young but as they are to be family pets and are so young it though it would be a good opertunity to to try and tackle this early.
I dont want to keep picking them up as im sure this will just make them more scared of me.
Is there away treats you can give young ducklings apart from chick crumb that may make them happy to see me?

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 10:58 »
That will just take time! I have and raise runner ducks and they have to be the flightiest ducks going!
I normally try and hand feed them, the minute they look anxious I walk away, I dont try to pick them up, but allow them to get close when sitting down then try and tempt with titbits. Most of my runners will eat from my hand, the drakes are a bit more wary though! :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:05 »
Have to say I have handled mine quite a bit whe they are duckligs and they they generally grow up much less skittish than those I don't. I get them to eat treats from my hand and that certainly helps!

My ducklings favourites are chopped up tomatoes. :D

xx
I Keep Chickens, expecting Baby Ducks and want to make a New Pond

Started by pookey on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 08:53
by Sassy
xx
Baby Ducklings Advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 19:32
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Baby Ducklings Hot Weather Advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 21:19
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
New to ducks and need some advice!

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 09:44
by Foxy

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 36 queries.