New to ducks and need some advice!

• 24 Replies

mollie15

New to ducks and need some advice!
« on: September 09, 2009, 15:12 »
Hi, I am thinking of having a few ducks and would appreciate any advice and infomation anyone can offer me. 

We have plenty of land but thought a coop and run for the first week or two or can they freerange straight away.

What age to buy?  I want to be able to put them straight outside without heat.

Males or females or a mixture?

Also what breed do you suggest, not bothered about eggs as such as we have loads of chickens already.  I was thinking perhaps appleyards, campbells or call ducks?

Any suggestion everyone?

Vember

Re: New to ducks and need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 17:15 »
Hi Mollie

Congratulations on your idea :D You'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier :D

I think if they are to free range over a large area it may be wise to fence them into a smaller area and a coop to begin with :) That way they'll get used to going in the coop at night and you wont have to run round like a headless monkey trying to get them in :D

Depending on the amount your thinking about 1 drake to 4/5 ducks is acceptable in larger birds small birds like the calls you could have 1 drake to 2/3 females. Call ducks are noisy birds, originally called decoy ducks they were used to encourage wild birds in to get shot  :ohmy:

If you go to an experienced breeder you could get them off heat at 6/7 weeks old at this time of year but  you will have to re lie on quacks rather than curly tails at that age unless they have been vent sexed :)

Nice laid back breeds Kate's Cayuga Patrick is the most laid back I have ever met and his babies have been the same, Magpies are quiet to begin with but very nervous birds, Runners are just fab and great egg layers and calls lay about 50 eggs a year and are noisy :D

Sarah :)

mollie15

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 18:14 »
Sarah many thanks for your reply and advice!  What size house will 3 - 4 ducks need? and how big a run will they need?  Can they eat chicken pellets or is there a duck feed?

Vember

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 18:50 »
Ducks don't need and seem to dislike any house that is designed for them :lol:
I have a plastic shed which would be fine for 3/4 over night, they don't need nestboxes and the like :)
Kate (and her ducks) has adapted a wooden garden storage box thingy for hers if you search Kate and her ducks and duck house your bound to find a picture it is rather nice :)

As for the run it would be maybe for a day or two until they get the idea of bedtime, so doesn't need to be huge (not very good with measurements  :blush: If you use some canes or poles with chicken wire as a temporary thing you can move it or make it bigger if needed, but as you will be letting them free range eventually it doesn't need to be extravagant :D

Just bare in mind the noise can encourage foxes so make sure the area they free range in is secure also :)

Food wise you can feed them a special duck feed or they can eat pellets like layers it really depends on their age :D

Sarah :)

Vember

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 18:59 »
Whoops another thing that is worth while doing to begin with is clip a wing, just to be on the safe side :)

Moco

• vicki's blog
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 22:03 »
Hello Mollie.

Sarah and Kate and her ducks know much more about ducks than I do...but one thing I've found really useful is to fence off a patch round the house/shed whatever.  First, as Sarah says, it's easier to get them into the shelter at night, but the main advantage I find is that I can leave the door of their house open at night (except when it's really, really cold), so that they can get themselves up and give themselves breakfast and a drink in the morning before I have to!  And, they can be left in there till say 9 or 10 o'clock, by which time they have usually laid their eggs and I don't have to go searching for them all over the 'free range' bit.

I have made my fencing quite high and attempted to make it fox proof - but I don't want to tempt fate by saying that it is.  I also laid 18" of the wire flat on the ground on the outside and let the grass grow through it, so that if a fox tries to dig by the fence, it hits wire.

I guess a coop would do the trick, but it depends how big it is.  I think you'll find, once you get going, that you might want a larger area for them to be in.

And, of course, I'm sure all the duck lovers on here are egging you on to get some!!  They are great fun.

mollie15

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 08:18 »
Thanks for all your input so far!

So am I right that I am looking for ducks around 5-6weeks old?

Similar set up to the chickens to start with?

I thought about a low sided bucket for water but what about food?

Kiddys sandpit for water,

But what sort of ducks do you suggest?

Hoping to get them this weekend as my hubby is treating me for my birthday (today)!

Please anymore info, I need as much as possible!  :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:57 »
Happy Birthday and what could be better than ducks!!!

Sounds like you are well into the thinking process and importantly getting info before you start. There is a thread Rob and I started somewhere about keeping ducks that I Will try and dig out.
As Sarah says, keep the housing minimal, they are not like chickens and are really not fussy. Spend a fortune and you will just resent it as they will just ignore it! They did my posh ark but are very happy in an converted garden storage box. Just make sure you do your best to make their nighttime accommodation fox proof. Like Moco I have a house in a fixed, foxproof run and they are let out of that in the morning to free range.

What do you want your ducks for as that changes what breeds people recommend?
A lot of people start with Khaki Campbells as they are commonly available and have the reputation as the best layers. I have to say my Campbells have never been great layers (well not as good as their reputation) and are really nervous ducks which they are known for. I wouldn't really bother with them again. Welsh harlequins are lovely looking birds and have a good laying reputation. They are also much less nervous. Mine are only 15 weeks old so can't comment on their laying but they are certainly beautiful and less nervy than the Campbells.
One of my favourites is my silver Appleyard. She is also a beautiful duck and although a heavy breed so not as good a layer apparently, she out lays my Campbells and was a wonderful broody, bringing up the Welsh Harlequin ducklings amazingly well.
And then there is Patrick, my mostly Cayuga drake. He is the friendliest of my ducks and has just the lovliest temperment which he has passed on to his offspring who are amazingly friendly too. They are also laying really really well and have been doing sine 20 weeks which is earlier than any of my other ducks! Hopefully they will keep it up!

Have fun picking. Think about what you want and we can give you some pointers.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Moco

• vicki's blog
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:11 »
Well, Kate.  I think it's time I put a bid in for some Welsh Harlequins and a couple of Patrick babies, then!!!!!  I don't mind waiting.....

Sam's two girls are less nervous than the Campbells, I think.  But you know I'm with you all the way on the W H's and I've heard so much about this Patrick character, I think I want to keep the line going.

One egg this week so far and one squashed one, so I'm counting that as two.  Lol.

mollie15

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:33 »
Thank you Kate for your lovely reply!

I already have 17 mixed chickens so far so not bothered about eggs, I just want a few ducks as pets and ones that are pretty to look at really, I had wondered about either silver appleyards, calls or campbells but am open to any advice really.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 11:37 »
I count the squashed ones too!

Will hatch you some Patrick babies in spring, they are great! The Patrick - Campbell crosses are black (mainly) and the Patrick - Appleyard (and probably the WH) crosses are grey.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 11:41 »
This is one of my Welsh Harlequins

and this is Sally my silver Appleyard with the Welsh Harlequins whan they were ducklings.

They are generally much friendly when they have been hand raised. That being said I have hand raised Campbells and they still wouldn't come near me when they were adults! Ungrateful sods!

mollie15

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 11:55 »
Oh my Patrick is gorgeous!!!   And I like the look of the silver appleyard too!!  I really would like a friendly breed if possible.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 12:24 »
That's Ellie, she is one of Patricks daughters.

This is Patrick!

mollie15

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 12:45 »
He is very handsome!!  I am so jealous!  I cant wait to get mine!!!

xx
Advice please on ducks

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 21:56
by tammyc
xx
Advice re Ducks....

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 12:39
by Prod
xx
New Baby Ducks - Advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 11:05
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
overnighting for ducks - advice please

Started by lisacj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 17:55
by lisacj

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 35 queries.