I've got a sick chick too now!

• 27 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
I've got a sick chick too now!
« on: June 11, 2009, 23:22 »
Tonight we brought home the 3 Lt sussex chicks that Joyfull saw advertised on Lincspets4life site.  Put them in the big brooder for now until Brian gets the new house finished.  Well I've been out to see all the chicks a couple of times and everyone seemed happy and running about, but when I went out tonight to put them all away, one of our 6 week old rhode Island chicks was laying half on her side.  She can't walk and if I hold her in my hand, both wings droop down.

the nearest thing on my poultry disease list is Mareks, but that says paralysis down one side of body and wing.  I don't think the woman we bought them off vaccinates her chicks

she's in the lounge in a box now and she is eating and drinking a little, but only because I put them right next to her.  The only thing I've got at the moment is poultry spice, soput a little bit in her food.

Any ideas anyone before I put her out ofher misery?  I'll try for a day or 2 to help her, but with all the chicks I can't afford to keep a bird that might have something catching???

She didn't look this ruffled this afternoon and they ae still featheing up so that's why she still has teh odd bald patch!

thanks   Ann
sick RIR.jpg
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 23:31 by GrannieAnnie »

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: I've got a sick chick too now!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 23:33 »
I would keep it seperate for now, sorry but you might find by morning it has died. I never vaccinate any of my chicks, sometimes you do lose some, they are usually the weak ones that where helped out of the shells (I no longer do this as if they can't make it out by themselves it usually means something is wrong :( , just seems wrong not to help).
I prefer not to sell chicks until they have been outside for at least 2 weeks.

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 23:38 »
Sorry didn't see the pic, that chick doesn't look six weeks old, was it off heat?

Michelle

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 00:11 »
Hi michelle, she is definitely 6 weeks or very nearly.  She's actually bigger than she looks on the photo We got them the 2nd May and the lady said they were nearly a week old.  They have been off heat for just over a week as it is quite warm in the big brooder shed, but at the moment we have a lamp over the tiny chicks, but they are in a different part of the shed so I don't think it's too warm where the RIR's are either.

And yes I know I might ind it dead in teh morning, but I just thought someone may know what it could be.  They have all been eating and drinking ell and running around todyay too, but they are not outside yet.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:32 »
Oh Grannie, sorry to hear about your little chick and sorry can't offer any advice either. Hope she's alright though - hugs.

On another note - hows the new sussex? Does the lady have any other breeds?
Staffies are softer than you think.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:13 »
Just as long as the others are all OK, I would say it is just a weak chick, I have even had chicks die for no appart reason when they have been outside for a couple of weeks.
I think this is why we are told not to help in the hatching process because they are not meant to be.   :(
How is she this morning?

Michelle

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:40 »
It could be a Folic Acid Deficiency Grannie.  That can cause some paralysis and drooping wings.

It's one of the B vitamins so give a vitamin supliment as well as the poultry spice which is just minerals and herbs.

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:34 »
Is the chick still alive this morning grannie???

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 12:38 »
GrannieAnnie hows the chick chuck?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 12:45 »
Hi everyone.  Not good I'm afraid.  I melted a vitamin capsule in some warm water then cooled it down and she drank some of it, but had stopped eating, so I sprinkled some of her crumb into the water and she was drinking and eating that like mad.  I keep coming in and looking at her and having a little chat, and she cheeps to me, but she can only move her head.  funny thing is, all morning her poops have been normal, and only the last one she did is a mustardy colour.

I'll leave it a bit longer, but if still no improvement I will dispatch her.  It's not fair on her, poor little thing.   The others seem fine though.  Running around and flying onto the top of the feeder and drinker

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 12:46 »
shame.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 13:00 »
I know Stu, but I hate to see her suffer.  She was going to be one of my first RIR breeding hens!  I've still got the other 6 though, so see how many are hens and they will need an unrelated cockerel, and I've got the 6 Lt sssex 6 week olds and the 3 I picked up last night, unrelated, so hoping for a decent breeding trio or 2 from them!

Then I've got 4 lavender Araucanas coming next week from Chickenlady, so I'm hoping my 8-9 week old lavender is a boy!!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 13:04 »
Sounds great.  Its amazing how this bug gets you.
I am thinking may be next year get go for some more Scots greys then a little breeding program.  But do not tell the wife. :blink:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 13:19 »
Oh Grannie, sorry to hear about your little chick and sorry can't offer any advice either. Hope she's alright though - hugs.

On another note - hows the new sussex? Does the lady have any other breeds?

Sorry Joy, forgot to answer this bit about the other breeds.  She has several bantam breeds, but she seems to mix them up a bit.  The cockerals she was giving away look part silkie, part poland and part whatever else is running around.  When we got there, she was out the back as we'd seen her from the road.  Note on gate saying Ring bell on gate.  No bell, tooted horn, shouted.  At least she came out looked at me (who she was expecting) and just said yes??  I said I was looking for the bell?  It's not there, no, I took it off she said! 

but she was a bit better after we went in.  She had wanted to sell the chicks as they are normally £8, but I think she's got more on the way and needed the room, so we got them for nowt!    She has a maquee out the front and she sells craft stuff too.  But saying tht, the place is a bit higgeldy piggeldy, but the birds look healthy!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 13:20 »
I'd like some Scots Greys too Stu, but we haven't the room for any more, lets see how this lot go first!  Then when I'm rich, maybe we can afford to buy somewhere with a bit more land, but not the 24 acres that Brian wants!!!!!

I want to retire and enjoy myself!!!!! 

xx
sick chick

Started by lindamary on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 22:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
another sick chick

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 13:23
by animal mad
xx
sick chick

Started by wiggy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 19:37
by joyfull
xx
Please help - Sick chick

Started by TanyaGibson on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 11:44
by ehs284

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 30 queries.