sick chick

• 5 Replies

lindamary

sick chick
« on: June 15, 2008, 19:34 »
one of my ex batts is not well. I took her to the vet on Thursday after hearing her sneeze loudly and often  on Wednesday. I watched her come out of the house Thursday and she did nothing but drink - no interest in food at all. The vet said she had a temp of 107.4 and put her on antibiotics. Her poo was watery with a little green.
Now (Sunday) she is still not perking up, as far as I know she has had little or no food since Wednesday. (She's not sneezing any more).  When I held her tonight to give the antibiotics some water came out of her mouth, her chest and comb is all wet from the water she drinks inssesantely. I decided to give her the worming medication the vet gave me for when she was better, well as far as I can see it can't hurt her further. Her crop seems full.squiggy - perhaps just of water, I don't know!
One of my 3 girls lays regularly but I don't know which, I don't think it's this one but one lays very occasonal soft eggs and I have a feeling it is this one after picking her up on Thursday and finding a squashed one under her having already taken the usual normal egg out. When she stands she seems to have a hunched back. Does anyone have any ideas? I love my girls so much I shall be heartbroken to lose one so soon - I've had them 6 months.
Thank you for any ideas you have about what I should do, here's hoping one of you good people might have some thoughts that I could just try out.  
 :(
Lindamary

peggyprice

sick chick
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 21:54 »
Hi Lindamary, so sorry to hear about your hen, how is she today?

I'm sure others with a lot more experience will be along soon with ideas to help  :)
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

compostqueen

sick chick
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 23:14 »
Aunt Sal or Grannie will know. Hopefully they'll be along soon.  I'm sorry to hear your hen is poorly, it must be such a worry  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sick chick
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:12 »
A full squidgy crop could be caused by sour crop which is a fungal infection.  It will give her bad breath too.  Sour crop will need an anti-fungal medication from your vet rather than an antibiotic.

Have a look here and read the section on sour crop:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4345

Let us know how she gets on !

lindamary

sick chick
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 20:24 »
Thanks for your replys and thoughts. The little hen is much better now, better after I'd taken her off the antibiotics! She's still sneezing really loudly at times, it makes me jump! But much better and almost back to her normal self. I really thought I was losing her, so glad I'm not, she's got a part of my heart.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sick chick
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 22:45 »
That's really good news lindamary.

Let us know how she gets on !!

xx
sick chick

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 18:04
by staffschicks
xx
Sick Chick

Started by chickenlittle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 01:11
by chickenlittle
xx
Sick Chick

Started by bettyboo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:08
by bettyboo
xx
Sick chick

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 19:12
by Manlea1

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 31 queries.