• 2 Replies

becksi

How much do i need to feed my chooks
« on: June 09, 2009, 08:47 »
We picked up on Thursday

3 Buff Orpington hens 9-10 weeks old,
2 Copper Blue Maran hens 15 weeks old,
1 black & gold crossbreed hen 15 weeks old,
2 Silver Grey Dorking hens 30 weeks old, who are laying not everyday so far, Friday late afternoon we had an egg from them both, none Saturday and one each from them on Sunday about 12.30pm, none on Monday, fingers crossed for today.

I asked all the questions when i purchased them from a farmer but for got to ask how much food i should be giving them aday, at the moment they are having about 2.5 lb of layer pellets as he said thats what they were all eating (layer pellets) and a hand full of mixed corn mixed in with the layer pellets, is this enough? 

They also have unlimited fresh water, oyster shell & i sprinkle about 3 handfuls of grit around for them to peck at too.

Thanks

Becksi

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: How much do i need to feed my chooks
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:53 »
Hi Becksi and welcome!  The buff Orps are a little young for layers yet, but should be okay if that's what they are used to, and the amount sounds about right.  They say around 4ozs per bird per day, so you are fine there.  The only thing is, we usually give ours their corn in the late afternoon a couple of hours before bed.  Corn takes longer to digest than pellets nad if they fill up with the corn, you may find they are not getting enough goodness from the pellets.  Whereas if you give them the corn in the afternoon, it helps keeps them warm at night as they are digesting it overnight when they roost.

Also give them plenty of green stuff.  Do they still have grass?  Ours have eaten all the grass in the run, but I do give them plenty of other stuff, especially cabbage, which I hang up in their run.  They love jumping up and taking bits off, helps keep them exercised too!!

becksi

Re: How much do i need to feed my chooks
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 19:45 »
Many thanks for the reply.

I have changed them to just layer pellets in the morning/daytime and give them the corn 2 hours before bedtime, they go mad for the corn.

I have been giving them plenty of green stuff, spring greens mostly as i have an iguana and 2 bearded dragons who eat lots of these daily so they are always in the fridge in abundance.

I do still have grass, but not sure for how much longer LOL.

xx
What do you feed your chooks?

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 19:00
by Rubellite
xx
What can I feed my chooks?

Started by babypoogle on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 10:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
Can I feed spinach beet leaves to my chooks?

Started by lisacj on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 16:29
by lisacj
xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 36 queries.