why dont suppliers tell you

• 12 Replies

Sue32

• Experienced Member
why dont suppliers tell you
« on: June 07, 2009, 23:22 »
This site is great for TRUE info.  but why don't seed suppliers tell you all you need to know - they are each selective.  I'm a complete novice going mad searching books and every suppliers web site for the same variety and piecing together how tall, when they mature, how to care, support,  and how to harvest.    ???

trying to be green except when blue

oldbean

• Experienced Member
Re: why dont suppliers tell you
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 23:30 »
This site is great for TRUE info. 

Ok as long as it's not mine  :).

The problem with giving size information for example is it is so variable. I can always grow anaemic specimens, but I don't worry about having prize winning specimens, or if they have blotchy leaves. They will survive, and they taste ok. That's all I am after.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 00:16 »
There's only so much room on a packet and it's needed to promote the seeds. They can then sell you the books to learn the rest. If you check the packet back, there is always basic information. But as oldbean says, so many other factors come into play such as your soil type, amount of water, type of feed, climate, topography, pest problems, disease problems, etc all affect the outcome. With basic information of approximate size, when to seed and growth time, you can then juggle the other factors. The rest you simply have to learn as we all did  :D

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 07:49 »
I think it great that they dont tell you evey thing it encourage people to talk to one and other and explore forums like this
Kris
Thanks
Kris

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:16 »
Is it an irony that food packaging has to have everything you need to know and don't want to on the package but seeds etc don't. In fact some of the claims made by seed manufacturers are getting quite wild. (I love watching Beechgrove Garden on iplayer (we don't get it down here in Norfolk which is a shame as it knocks spots off Gardeners Worlds in a lot of ways.) and they are highlighting some of the wilder claims with test growings).

Maybe its time for some red tape or self regulation to standardise the claims.
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:31 »
IMO Gardeners World has plummeted this year. It is more like a hard landscaping program than a plant nurturing one. Too many presenters and much advertising their free seeds. I don't bother with it any more.

I watched Episode 10 of Beechcroft gardens as far as when they talked about getting the council to get a beekeeper in to move a bees nest. Bumblebees? I didn't know you could move them. Anyway it was another "make over" exercise, which often destroys more than it "improves". What with that and the monthly systemic spraying program for hollyhock rust..........

Rant over.  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:54 by oldbean »

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 13:34 »
I'm certainly learning lots - on a steep learning curve, and I can understand all the variables make the outcome uncertain.  but the problem is that some packets don't give the basics - so you can't  easily tell if things are going wrong.  I've had different  packets without at least one of :  height, germination time, maturity time. Never mind the need for support, how to thin etc.   My books and this site get checked daily - which is good and I'm loving it but it just could be easier.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 15:13 »
...... but it just could be easier.

What, in life, is easy? Certainly not gardening, which is why all of us are here to challenge it  ;)

Christine

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 07:47 »
I suspect that the packets are designed by marketing people who work on the principle of "the eye buys".  Too much information bemuses the customer and if it's wrong well they could end up being sued.

But remember you don't buy a washing machine with full instructions on how to wash each individual item of clothes or a cooker that tells you how to cook every single dish that you will ever want to eat. Same with seeds.  :D

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 09:20 »
Is it an irony that food packaging has to have everything you need to know and don't want to on the package but seeds etc don't. In fact some of the claims made by seed manufacturers are getting quite wild. (I love watching Beechgrove Garden on iplayer (we don't get it down here in Norfolk which is a shame as it knocks spots off Gardeners Worlds in a lot of ways.) and they are highlighting some of the wilder claims with test growings).

won't be long before the packets say 'Warning! May contain seeds!'  :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25 »

won't be long before the packets say 'Warning! May contain seeds!'  :D

Yes seeds are now classed as allergens -particularly sesame- and food manufacturers have to give a warning on their products - even if they've never been need a burger bun :lol:

lisa80

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 09:43 »
I must admit im the same , am new to all this so follow instructions on packet,but when speaking to old guys on allotment i find they do some things earlier and some later than what i read .So to be honest i follow them as they have been doing it for longer and get much better results than i do!!!!!!!!!!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 11:51 »
The people who have been growing for a long time in your area are the experts and should be listened to. They understand the local soil and local weather conditions through personal experience and have learnt from their own mistakes. Seed providers can only give general advice.

xx
Suppliers

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 17:56
by Yorkie
xx
suppliers

Started by minky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 19:48
by minky
question
Wholesale Suppliers

Started by podgelett on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 17:13
by fatbelly
xx
Vine suppliers

Started by Westude on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 11:53
by Westude

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 37 queries.