suppliers

• 9 Replies

minky

suppliers
« on: February 19, 2009, 20:53 »
Hi, I have just been sent an email with some strawberries form suttons 20 plants for 10.95 plus delivery, but searching I found that J parker had 25 plants for 8.95 - 12.95 has any one had anything from either. and any recommendations

we eat a lot of strawbs in our house

Christine

Re: suppliers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:05 »
Can you get runners from someone who is thinning out their strawberry beds free?

minky

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 09:51 »
Can you get runners from someone who is thinning out their strawberry beds free?

I never thought of that. but unfortunately or fortunately  this is my first allotment and I don't know anyone yet.

I suppose my question would be does it matter where you get your plants from?

thank you for replying I was starting to become slightly paranoid  ::)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:59 »

I never thought of that. but unfortunately or fortunately  this is my first allotment and I don't know anyone yet.

I suppose my question would be does it matter where you get your plants from?

Both sound expensive to me. Look locally to see if any are cheaper, they should be coming on the shelves before long. Why not put a little sign asking if anyone wants to donate some on your plot, if they are a friendly bunch you will get loads.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:18 »
where in the country are you?

i will be digging up a strawberry bed soon

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:40 »

Aww, now I wish I had posted what little experience I have. I nearly did, but I figured it wasn't really much use.  :blush:
Parkers are about as cheap as they come, unless you are prepared to take a chance and buy off shop shelves. What's wrong with buying from the shops? They are warm so the plants start growing, but stuck in a packet, they have no light, and grow soft and spindly. Also if they are damaged when packed, the combination with warmth and damp provide the ideal environment for rots and moulds. They do tend to dry out after a few days, but that's not exactly good either. Maybe they will be ok if you manage to get them within a couple of days of going on the shelves, look carefully before you buy.

Having said that though, if you don't know what variety you want, the little packets, you get in shops are the cheapest way of trying a bunch of different varieties.
One of Parker's bumper pack varieties (Cambridge Favourite), just happens to be one that has an excellent chance of being the ones that I want, so I got them. I have also ordered some Royal Sovereign from Marshalls, another old variety. And I'm going to take a chance ordering some of a less commonly available old variety, from somewhere I've never heard of before, just to see what they are like. (Can you tell I'm a heritage veg fan? :D )
With strawberries especially, I am trying to get the really flavoursome varieties, that have dropped from view, because of some commercial reason like 'they don't trasport well'.  ::)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:47 »
Strawberry plants are cheap and will fruit for 3 years so I would buy from reputable suppliers rather than beg runners of unknown quality.

Strawberrys get viruses which are spread by aphids and build up in a crop after a few years. That is why you should replant your strawberry bed every 3 years. Viruses affect the vigour of the plants and are carried to any runners.

New plants from reputable suppliers will be produced from virus free stock and you will start with healthy plants.

You usually get what you pay for.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 20:27 »
I've seen here and read about replanting your strawberry bed after 3-4 years but do you have to "rotate" them at the same time? i.e. do the viruses stay in the soil and so it is best to move your bed ? ???
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:45 »
Yes, you should always plant new strawberry plants in a new bed.

I am not aware that viruses survive in the soil, I think they need living plant tissue. However, verticillium wilt is caused by a fungus that lives in the soil. It invades the roots and stems and clogs them up causing plants to wilt. Botrytis is a fungus that rots fruit and leaves and can survive in plant material in the soil.

minky

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 19:48 »
where in the country are you?

i will be digging up a strawberry bed soon

hi I am i Harrogate

xx
Suppliers

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 17:56
by Yorkie
xx
Veg seed suppliers

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 30, 2011, 14:30
by DD.
xx
Vine suppliers

Started by Westude on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 11:53
by Westude
xx
Seed Suppliers.

Started by Steve.P on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 23:54
by Steve.P

Page created in 1.121 seconds with 36 queries.