2 questions need answering please

• 9 Replies

karlooben

2 questions need answering please
« on: June 07, 2009, 20:14 »
1- my chicks are about 7 - 8 weeks old now how long do they stay on chick meal for ?

2- my girl still has a very bad leg if it was broken anywhere would she still be able to walk, when she does move on it she seems to move it forward out stretched then place it down gentle , i have checked her over and shes got very scaly legs which are peeling badly as there was a few cuts on the legs where shes got dry and sore ,i cant find my purple spray so i have bathed her in maselmb { forgotten how to spell it  :lol: }  shampoo its anti bactieral an anti fungal etc ,its for skin complaints on horses an dogs but works mircales on most pets { very expensive and u can only get it on presciption. anything esle i can do ?
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

poultrygeist

Re: 2 questions need answering please
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 20:21 »
1 - don't know  :unsure:

2 - sounds like it could be scaly leg mite. Read all about it .....

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

have you got any vaseline ?

Rob 8)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 20:35 »
Hi Looby,
you can put them on growers pellets now  :D,
Scaley leg mite - either rub vaseline on their legs or you can buy stuff to put on from pet shops.
Staffies are softer than you think.

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 20:36 »
its malaseb  shampoo  :lol: :lol: i need my brain testing my spelling is geting worse and no i dont have any vaseline until tomorw afternoon .

the shampoo will kill anything an cure any skins probs so i am willing to try it on chickens as well ,i cannot praise this stuff enough . but i will also use the vaseline will pick it up tomorw afternoon .

but would that really cause her to limp as badly as she is  :( .
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 20:40 by karlooben »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 20:43 »
If she's got cracks in her skin it may be too painfull to keep bending and stretching, give her a couple of days with vaseline, it will smoother the mites and ease the dry skin  :)

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 20:45 »
thankyou guys .  :D i hope its thats as it seems easy to cure and not a broken bone.

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 21:17 »
It is quite unusual for a chicken to break a leg, she may have damaged the ligaments due to a severe infection which has flared up again? and now has a permanent limp. Scaly leg mite, she might have had in the past and what is left is the dry,damaged leg scales which will look unsightly and can be until she moults them off. Vaseline will help and maybe a soothing ointment as well,something that contains witch hazel for example. :)

Oh and growers until POL ;)

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 21:31 »
ohhhhhhhh poor girly may limp for the rest of her life   :( i will get everything i need tomorw straight after work }   i am determined to get her walking better .

i dont have much chick crumb left so i will wean them over during the week ... they looking really good  even though at times one of them worries me  :D but i suppose babies are allowed to do that . and today i made them a canopy over the door to the little house as the rain was getting into the shed its amazing what u can recycle , i used a plastic cover that goes around the bath it does have a name but i forgot  :lol: and it has gutting underneath it as well to catch any rain that goes under it .

LottieLotto

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 23:40 »
Our Peggy has a limp (hence the name)
We noticed her limp as soon as we brought her home. We watched her all day and she seemed happy. It didn't seem to be hurting her and i didn't want to part with her. So we kept her. We've had her almost two years now and she still has the limp and she's getting slower. We think she' stopped laying now - although its difficult to tell which hens laid which egg i have my suspicions Pegs packed it in. We don't mind if she's stopped laying we love our hens whether they lay eggs or not. But we think she was an older chuck when we got her and she's definately slower at running. She's a happy chuck, but i think she's gone through henmenopause 8)

We don't know what caused her limp, she too throws her leg when she walks, the skin on her leg is ok though. I put it down to arthritis but thats just a guess.

And regarding chick feed, Molly our broody hen adopted an egg last year and Pip popped out. Pip had chick crumbs for a couple of weeks and then after that Molly showed her how to get worms and bugs, and she took her into the chuck commune with the others and from then she had layer pellets mixed with corn mash and grit like the rest of my girls.
She turned out to be a he in the end, but she loved them layer pellets lol

I hope your poorly hen gets better soon

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:17 »
thanks lottie , i was watching her yesterday for quite a while an she does the hitler walk  :lol: :lol: thats the best way to describe it .
i know this girl is still laying as i caught her last week and shes got a good appetite , i am due to run out of chick crumbs today so my babies may have to have layers mash an pellets just tell friday , i am glad u posted though as i was worried about them eating adult food within the month i am hoping they can go out full time with the big girls an then they will be eating thier feed anyway and i wasnt sure if it would hurt them.

one yesterday got out of the smaller pen an boy was she scared of the big girls  :lol: poor thing could not of got into the smaller pen quick enough .

xx
questions need answering pleeeez

Started by leebou on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 22:14
by leebou
xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
Questions Questions Questions...

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 20:33
by Foxy
question
Poo help/questions?

Started by B_hibbert on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 21, 2012, 08:34
by Sassy

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 30 queries.